autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire dressing help

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    So when I bought my new tires a year ago or so I decided I wasn't going to use any tire shine on them. What I have noticed is they have never browned, ever. I just wash them normally or spray them off and they are good. They don't have a shine but they also never brown and never have to really be scrubbed, a lot of them time I can just pressure wash them clean. So now I don't think I'll ever go back to using tire shines again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    The man speaks the truth.

Yes tyres brown from their off gassing but they also react to tyre shines, either the silicones or other particular carrier solvents that may be in the condition.

The range of experiences people have with browning are down to three things; the type of dressing, the brand of tyre and most importantly, the cleanliness.

I’d hazard a guess that most people don’t clean their tyres properly as a spray on spray off product does diddly squat. A good quality APC and hard scrubbing is the only way.

Post Thanks / Like

hazard a guess that most people don’t clean their tyres properly as a spray on spray off product does diddly squat. A good quality APC and hard scrubbing is the only way.[/QUOTE]

I e heard APC is not good as it dries out tires. How long have been using APC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    The man speaks the truth.

Yes tyres brown from their off gassing but they also react to tyre shines, either the silicones or other particular carrier solvents that may be in the condition.

The range of experiences people have with browning are down to three things; the type of dressing, the brand of tyre and most importantly, the cleanliness.

I’d hazard a guess that most people don’t clean their tyres properly as a spray on spray off product does diddly squat. A good quality APC and hard scrubbing is the only way.
    You forgot 1. Tire cleaners/APC’s themselves can cause blooming if they’re too aggressive of a cleaner on any given tire.

Here’s a tire after being scubbed cleaned 3 times. I guess some people would be happy with that.

Not me. I prefer my tires to look like this.

4. Likes Goonie75, Zoxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You forgot 1. Tire cleaners/APC’s themselves can cause blooming if they’re too aggressive of a cleaner on any given tire.
    Yeah, it's such a fine line between cleaning the tire enough, but not cleaning it so much you leach out more anti-ozonant. And it depends on the age of the tire, the make, and the purpose...I've got some snowflake-on-the-mountain winter tires that were just crazy with browning when they were new, but they've calmed down somewhat now that they're older--unless it's the cleaners and dressings I'm using now leach less out of the tire. And I've noticed, as Wristy stated, that some dressings seem to encourage the browning also--maybe that's on purpose, to get you to use it more often? I'm joking--I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Tire dressing help

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, it's such a fine line between cleaning the tire enough, but not cleaning it so much you leach out more anti-ozonant. And it depends on the age of the tire, the make, and the purpose...I've got some snowflake-on-the-mountain winter tires that were just crazy with browning when they were new, but they've calmed down somewhat now that they're older--unless it's the cleaners and dressings I'm using now leach less out of the tire. And I've noticed, as Wristy stated, that some dressings seem to encourage the browning also--maybe that's on purpose, to get you to use it more often? I'm joking--I think.
    Have you tried using a tire cleaner like McKee’s Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator or Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew? Those 2 tire cleaners are formulated with higher quality cleaners that will clean tires without causing them to turn brown once they dry. Once you get them super clean using those tire cleaners they’re left deep dark black, looking really good. So good you pretty much could go without using any tire product.

I’ll try to find some old pics I took.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    You should like 253 much better. I've used 253 for many years and picked up a small bottle of the Optimum when my 253 bottle ran out as I wanted to get some experience with other products. I've been really disapointed. I'm not impressed by the appearance of the Opti-Bond, and it doesn't survive a single encounter with rain or snow.

Funny experience with the Opti-bond as an example: One day I spent a great deal of time last spring detailing my car top to bottom including a very careful application of the Opti-bond. It was one of the few times it actually looked really good on my tires and I was quite satisfied when then sun went down. Overnight we had a horrific thunderstorm pass through which blasted the passenger side of my car with rain. The next morning, the driver side tires still looked pretty good without only a few rain streaks, while the passenger side had bare tires. The product has been totally washed off as if nothing had ever been applied.

I want to try PERL when my Opti-bond runs out, but I wonder if it will live up to my 253 experience.
    I have PERL too. Found it didnt hold up long for me... idk. I'll for sure try the Duragloss

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s some pics I took a long time ago showing what these tires look like after they’ve been cleaned with either Megs Super Degreaser or D143 non acid wheel & tire cleaner. This is a clean tire scrubbed at least 2 times.

Now I start using a different higher quality tire cleaner, in this case it was the TW Endura Tire Cleaner [which is similar to the McKee’s and Mothers Tire Renew]
    Notice how the blooming is actually beginning to scrub off.

It took a good 3 maybe 4 times of scrubbing, but it was well worth it because it won’t come back and now the tire is officially back to virgin status. This is what a clean tire is supposed to look like. No dressings, just clean.

10. Likes PaulMys, DetailedByPrecision, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried using a tire cleaner like McKee’s Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator or Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew? Those 2 tire cleaners are formulated with higher quality cleaners that will clean tires without causing them to turn brown once they dry. Once you get them super clean using those tire cleaners they’re left deep dark black, looking really good. So good you pretty much could go without using any tire product.
    Here’s some pics I took a long time ago showing what these tires look like after they’ve been cleaned with either Megs Super Degreaser or D143 non acid wheel & tire cleaner. This is a clean tire scrubbed at least 2 times.

Now I start using a different higher quality tire cleaner, in this case it was the TW Endura Tire Cleaner [which is similar to the McKee’s and Mothers Tire Renew]
    Notice how the blooming is actually beginning to scrub off.

It took a good 3 maybe 4 times of scrubbing, but it was well worth it because it won’t come back and now the tire is officially back to virgin status. This is what a clean tire is supposed to look like. No dressings, just clean.
    Thanks, Eldo. I found the M37 product to be a little too pricey, but I did recently buy a bottle of the Tuff Shine cleaner, which produced very good (black) results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Thanks, Eldo. I found the M37 product to be a little too pricey, but I did recently buy a bottle of the Tuff Shine cleaner, which produced very good (black) results.
    Yup, I agree it is too expensive, that’s why I haven’t replenished it on my shelf. I do have a bottle of the Mothers as the $5 price per bottle is alot easier to justify. I rarely use it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    I have PERL too. Found it didnt hold up long for me... idk. I'll for sure try the Duragloss

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    If you are looking for durability duragloss won't really outlast Perl. They are very similar in durability.

14. Thanks Goonie75, Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75, VISITOR liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast