autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire dressing help

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Funny experience with the Opti-bond as an example:
    It's funny how tire experiences seem to be so subjective. I have two cars outside that, because it's winter, probably haven't had the tires dressed since November, but they don't look that bad. One has Optimum Tire Shine, and the other DG 253. Why do they not look that bad? Because they haven't really turned brown. Why is that? I'm not sure...is it the age of the tires? Is it the cleaner I've been using? On one of them I used Tuff Shine cleaner last time (can't remember which car), which really seemed to work a lot better than my usual OPC 3:1. Is it the temperature? Or is it the dressings? I mention this because OPT Tire Shine is supposed to have the same ingredient as Opti-Bond (although they seem very different), yet you have terrible experiences with Opti-Bond.

I just don't seem to have the browning problems I used to have...whatever the reason.

Post Thanks / Like

If we are talking browning, I've seen it with both the Opti-Bond and the 253. In all honestly, the 253 seemed to cause the browning of the tires more than the Opti-bond, but since the 253 lasted far longer than Opti-bond, the additional browning really wasn't a big deal due to not seeing it very often.

The conditions I described was the tire dressing washing off leaving the tire with the weathered untreated look and not the dark, like-new, appearance we like to maintain.

I think the rubber compound of the tire is a big variable in these discussions; maybe a bigger one than even weather or prep. I found 253 to work pretty well on about any tire I've owned EXCEPT for a set of Continential DSW 06's I use as my winter tires. The product almost beads up and runs off, even after several years. It seemed to work well on just about every other brand/type of tire, to include other Conti's. To Opti-Bond's credit, the application is more constistant across every tire I've tried compared to 253, to include the pesky DSW 06's, but the final appearance once dry and durablity consistantly falls far short of 253.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I think the browning has a lot to do with the age of the tire, seems when tires are newer there is more anti-ozonant to leach out, plus some cleaners and some dressings seem to draw it out more.

Post Thanks / Like

So when I bought my new tires a year ago or so I decided I wasn't going to use any tire shine on them. What I have noticed is they have never browned, ever. I just wash them normally or spray them off and they are good. They don't have a shine but they also never brown and never have to really be scrubbed, a lot of them time I can just pressure wash them clean. So now I don't think I'll ever go back to using tire shines again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    So when I bought my new tires a year ago or so I decided I wasn't going to use any tire shine on them. What I have noticed is they have never browned, ever. I just wash them normally or spray them off and they are good. They don't have a shine but they also never brown and never have to really be scrubbed, a lot of them time I can just pressure wash them clean. So now I don't think I'll ever go back to using tire shines again.
    Yeah, as I was saying, a lot of dressings seem to exacerbate the browning...maybe that's why mine aren't brown--they haven't been dressed in 3 months! Seriously though, if I ever use up my tire dressings I'm going to go with one of the "clear" coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can use them on the wells too to speed up their use.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Maybe you can use them on the wells too to speed up their use.
    Shoot Bill, I haven't dressed any wells in...I can't even remember. But even if I was dressing wells, I have other stuff for that. It's ok though, I'm on track to use up my tire dressings in around 2024...

Post Thanks / Like

I have much love for #253. When I used it on the Xterra it provided perfect results each and every time. And my biggest pet peeve NO SLING! With the aggressive Duratracs on the ZR2, if spring ever gets here, I will be using #253 with the flagged tipped brush method to apply it. Cant wait to see how this method is going to work out for me.

Flagged tip brush to apply HD to tires.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    I have much love for #253. When I used it on the Xterra it provided perfect results each and every time. And my biggest pet peeve NO SLING! With the aggressive Duratracs on the ZR2, if spring ever gets here, I will be using #253 with the flagged tipped brush method to apply it. Cant wait to see how this method is going to work out for me.

Flagged tip brush to apply HD to tires.
    Have you used the Griot’s Satin aerosol yet?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought browning came from silicon in dressing. Was gonna by griots satin but it’s silicon based. Ended just getting their tire and rubber cleaner (mild) and foaming tire cleaner (aggressive). Foamer for first deep cleaning and T&R to maintain. Using Perl for now but going to use tac system tire coating here soon. Wonder if coating can be topped with Perl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast