autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Your Opinion on an AIO or 1-Step

Hey Guys,

Looking to do some family and friends cars when the weather gets nicer. These would all be daily drivers with varying degrees of swirls and scratches. I started thinking about doing an AIO for these, but then was thinking of maybe a 1-step since an LSP wouldn't take to long. Longer LSP durability and better correction with the dedicated polish, but a little more time.

Depending on which way you would go what would be your top pick or two for and AIO and polish for a 1-step?

So far I am thinking (in no particular order):

AIO:
    Blackfire One Step
    McKee's 37 360
    Griot Garage BOSS Finish Sealant

Polish for 1-step:
    Griots Garage Perfecting Cream
    Optimum Hyper Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Your Opinion on an AIO or 1-Step

Friend=Freebie=AIO

3. Thanks geoguy thanked for this post
    Likes Vegas Transplant, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your list looks good, add HD Speed to that.

5. Thanks geoguy thanked for this post
    Likes 8SecGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

D151, D166, or 360 if looking for one with good cut. Speed if your after speed, slickness and gloss as I’ve not had it do much if anything correction wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Thanks geoguy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the sample of BF One Step that I used a few months ago. I was pleased with the correction. Are you charging them for the service or just getting the experience? If you're giving them a deal, I would front load them on expectations and explain what you're going to do. Perhaps down the line, they'll come back for a more intense detail.
    So my opinion is the BF One Step and mist the panel with a spray sealant on wipe off to help save time and give a bit more protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Friend=Freebie=AIO
    This.

I have done this before and will do again for family and some friends. Most go through the swirlomatic car washes or the horrible marring express hand wash places.

I've stopped wasting time and effort for it to be undone a couple days later.

I'm actually debating doing an AIO like HD speed/Megs/Griots and then possibly a spray and rinse Si02. Or I'll do a one step polish and a wax/sealant on top.

10. Thanks geoguy thanked for this post
    Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All comes down to the expectations you and your friends has on the polishing work. IMO it's with AIO and one step correction is that you get the shine and gloss and live with the defects left on the paint. A 2 step correction you can dial in the correction almost defect free depending on what you start with on the levels of defects. Then you have the difference between the amount of defects and the difference between the paints hardness and so on that will have a bigger impact on the defect removal when AIO or one step correction is done. And also the budget on the polishes.

I don't use the AIO from AGO cause of the it's not available in Sweden where I live. So uses some different ones but I have some products that I would be very interesting to test out from here. If not the budget is a problem I would test this AIO out 3D AAT 505 Correction Glaze. And the Blackfire One Step Finish AIO is also interesting. With the 3D AAT 505 you have 3D Speed with a much higher abrasive amount in it and no silicone. With AIO that is mostly the problem that the amount of abrasives is lower than the amount in regualar polishes and also in the cheaper OTC ones lower quality of the abrasives. AAT 505 has the montan wax in it but no else of protection that Speed has beside the montan wax. So the longevity can be lower than Speed but the correction would be on par with a regualar polish. Another combo that a friend of mine has used with success is SONAX Hybrid NPT Paint Cleaner and SONAX NanoTechnology Liquid Wax. This I would go with on those that still will be driving through the swirlomatic car wash or is careless with the their wash methods. It's strong to hide swirls as in filling them and above 3months longevity from it. You will be getting some correction but a heads up that the finish you get can be illusion from what it is.

3D AAT 505 Correction Glaze 8 oz.

SONAX Paint Cleaner, sonax prewax cleaner, sonax car polish, sonax cleaner polish

SONAX NanoTechnology Liquid Wax, sonax liquid car wax, car wax sealant, wax protectant, auto wax

On the polishes you have some good ones in your list. I would add 3D One in the mix and something like Carpro Reflect or Sonax Perfect Finish or EX 04-06. On some harder paints even Menzerna HC400 or Menzerna PF2200 or PF2500. Griots BOSS Fast Correcting Cream and Correcting Cream is known to be finish great on medium to hard paints. Carpro and Sonax mentioned above is great to one step it on softer paints but do also great on harder paints as well.

And then you have the pads used to get as much of cut as possible and still finish great. On medium to hard paints and as much of cut as possible I like the Sonax Red DA Hard Cutting pad and Meguiars Maroon cutting pad. And on softer paints and medium I think it's a must to have the Rupes yellow foam pad.
    I would be very interesting to know if someone has tested the Rupes Mille yellow foam pad on a 8mm free spinning DA polisher. As the standard yellow pad can be a little to thick on them polishers.

There are some thoughts on it from me. But most every abrasive technology here on AGO I think is great so just to find what suits your needs. Then it's important to have a range of pads that you can tune in on the test spots. Since you are going to be working on different paints it's hard to get satisfied with only 2 different pads. But again that's about the expectations you have on the work you doing.

/ Tony

12. Thanks geoguy thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

For doing freebies....

Stick with an AIO

I cover this topic in my detailing classes. Here's the nutshell version.

Most people don't appreciate anything given to them for free. I said "most", not all. Next, if there car needs to be detailed, that is it's in neglected condition.... ask yourself why? In most cases, most people view their car as transportation, not an extension of their personality and as such they let it go because it's simply not that important. Nothing wrong with this but just keep it in mind as you give away your time, energy and resources.

Now sometimes.... people change and for whatever reason, now they CARE. When this is the case, it's cool to help out family and friends and detail their car because then they will tend to both appreciate your hard work and follow-up by taking are of the results. I recommend getting them to help you if they are physically capable.

I go deep in my classes but the above is the nutshell version.

As for an AIO - BF One-Step all the way. Great correction, easy to buff and wipe-off super easy. As you work around a car you will learn how much you love easy wipe off. Spend the coin, get a quart and someday come back and re-visit this thread and thank me.

14. Thanks 392hemi, geoguy thanked for this post
    Likes 392hemi, Vegas Transplant, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I currently use DG 501 but am considering giving the new Meg's 3 in 1 a try

16. Thanks geoguy thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big fan of Optimum. I Certainly do not recommend a finishing polish such as Hyperpolish on daily drivers as you mentioned. Gonna stack up the time spent on vehicle with little to show for the effort.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

18. Thanks geoguy thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast