autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finishing Polish For A Beginner

So I will be doing my first paint correction ever on my vehicle before sealing it. I already bought The Last Cut Compound along with a 5.5" LC microfiber cutting pad, LC HDO blue foam cutting pad and orange foam polishing pad. I plan on purchasing a maxshine M15 DA unless you guys have different suggestions that isn't rupes or flex money. If I am any good at this and actually start doing it as a side gig, then I'll upgrade to a Rupes. I'll be hand washing the car with the 2 bucket method and grit guards. Using Carpro Iron X and then claymagic fine grade before starting the correction.

The vehicle is a 2011 Corvette which is known to have pretty hard paint. The person who sold me the coating recommended I finish the car with Menzerna 3500 and the orange polishing pad but I've heard that it is pretty oily. Somebody recommended that I use carpro Reflect instead but I've been reading that it takes just the right technique, amount of product and proper pad to prevent marring and hazing. As a beginner, I feel like I should purchase something that is easy to use and gives great results. I also would like a finishing polish that is versatile with soft and hard paints. I'm not opposed to buying a different pad for whatever polish I use, if it's necessary. I've heard a lot of great things about HD polish and meguiars m205. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finishing Polish For A Beginner

I should clarify, I am coating the car with Diamond Pro coatings. I picked it up from the owner at STL Auto Spa along with the wipe down solvent he uses. Already coated my brand new wheels and they came out great.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Hyper Polish would make a fine choice.

4. Likes BudgetPlan1, DaveT435, dlc95, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a polisher - the GG6 Polisher is now the recommended starting point - great warranty coverage, sturdy, and very consumer friendly in terms of learning to polish.

As to product choices - you'll find that's very personalized for instance:
    -- some folks still like Carnuba for that show car finish (but lacks any long term durability)
    -- some prefer sealants (think chemically created wax) - that have very developed goals for durability, shine, hardness levels, ease of application
    -- some prefer Coatings (think longer durability / super sealants)

Most companies now have all 3 options for product choices - and the look/feel/application is often a little different product by product (and company by company) - you often have to simply try a few first, then look for reviews that start to match the ideals you are after in terms of look and application....

6. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Pchang978 View Post

So I will be doing my first paint correction ever on my vehicle before sealing it. The vehicle is a 2011 Corvette which is known to have pretty hard paint.
    How would you describe the current condition?

The person who sold me the coating recommended I finish the car with Menzerna 3500 and the orange polishing pad but I've heard that it is pretty oily.
    The oils prevent the abrasives from merely scouring the paint. Menzerna makes very good abrasive technology.

but I've been reading that it takes just the right technique, amount of product and proper pad to prevent marring and hazing.
    Most important thing is the abrasive technology, then tool, pad and technique. I've taught so many people how to polish paint in my life that have never used a polisher before and as long as the abrasive technology is great the results are too.

As a beginner, I feel like I should purchase something that is easy to use and gives great results. I also would like a finishing polish that is versatile with soft and hard paints. I'm not opposed to buying a different pad for whatever polish I use, if it's necessary. I've heard a lot of great things about HD polish and meguiars m205.

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion. Thanks!!

About one week ago I buffed out the Plexiglas window on a 1965 Corvette Hardtop. I started with Meguiar's PlastX but it left micro-marring. I then tired a number of polishes, may 6, 7 or 8 products. The ONLY polish that finished out perfect was the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

Also my boat class removed the windshield off the two center console boats I had here for the class. Both were scratched and swirled. They tried buffing with PlastX and while it removed the swirls and scratches it left micro-marring in the plastic. Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish removed the micro-marring and left perfect results.

Pretty darn bubba-proof.

8. Likes DetailedByPrecision liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to clarify, I’m looking for something without any fillers. I know the menzerna and CP reflect don’t have either. The paint is in pretty great condition despite a couple scratches I’m going to touch up with a 0.5mm pen. Car only has 30,000 miles. The color is switch blade silver which I’m grateful for because it’s forgiving unlike black. But I’m going to stay away from the GG6 because of the 8mm of throw versus 15mm I’m after. Sounds like the menzerna would be a good option despite it being oily.

Post Thanks / Like

Jayce from TLC said sometimes he finishes hard paint with the orange polishing pad and TLC and doesn’t need to use any polish at all. That could be another option for me but I’d still like to have a good polish ready before doing the car

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna 3500 is an excellent final polish but does leave something behind you'll want to clean off before coating.

You mentioned a wipe down solvent. Is that meant to be used before the coating? What does Diamond Pro recommend?

Also, you might want to get more pads if you only have one of each

Post Thanks / Like

The installer and dealer for diamond pro (owner of STL Auto Spa) recommened menzerna 3500. And yes the solvent he provided to me along with the coating is meant as a pre wipe before coating. Sounds like menzerna is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Menzerna 3500 is an excellent final polish but does leave something behind you'll want to clean off before coating.

You mentioned a wipe down solvent. Is that meant to be used before the coating? What does Diamond Pro recommend?

Also, you might want to get more pads if you only have one of each

Would you recommend priming the pad and then using about 4 pea sized drops with a 5-6 speed? Or is that too much product

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast