autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3” polisher question

coatsingsarecrack

I just found the post where I answered you. go to, What did you do today, in regards to detailing? and check out post #728 & # 729. hope this helps. I just ordered some more aggressive pads last night for the 2 & 3 inch face plate. it's nice using the smaller pads around the A pillars, doors & bumpers. it was a cheap solution for me because I already had the three inch setup. I don't know how bad your panel is but mine was pretty trashed. I'm not sure how much clear coat is on those panels. so I just made it look as good as I can without pushing it. I'm sure I'll be doing it again once I start putting some miles on the car. good luck
    Carlo

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Yep, Griot's 3" with the 2" backplate works really well. Did the convertion last year and was really happy about it. Used the 3" backplate on my Porter Cable machine, so now I have 2 5" machines (Rupes ES21 and Boss 15), 1 3" machine and 1 2" machine. Still need to find a solution for 1". I am not paying 900$ for a Nano... I might just buy a flexible shaft for my drill, and put the backplate on that. I think it would work well.
    I don't know why but I never thought of this. I can put my 2'' backing plate on my griots 3'' polisher ? and then I can transfer my 3'' backing plate to my porter cable 7424xp, is that correct ? I think I'd like the power of the porter cable using the 3'', rather then the 3'' griots polisher. great.
    Carlo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    I don't know why but I never thought of this. I can put my 2'' backing plate on my griots 3'' polisher ? and then I can transfer my 3'' backing plate to my porter cable 7424xp, is that correct ? I think I'd like the power of the porter cable using the 3'', rather then the 3'' griots polisher. great.
    Carlo
    I use my PC as a 3". I think you'll like it.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    For 1 inch I was going to do nano triz. Then I just decided dremel and 1” backing plate. Buff daddy.com makes a shaft to backing plate but I’ve emailed and called and left message with no return. Awful customer service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe Buff Daddy is just one guy, so he might be overloaded or he might have missed your email. I contacted him once and he answered within minutes. You should try again.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Coatingsarecrack;1617828]Can you get decent correction with the Griots? Need to do plastic piano black panel on back of mustang

Well, it's a bit limited in terms for correction. The Griot's 3" machine only has a 4mm orbit, so you can't expect 21mm correction with it. But if you use something like a Meguiars Microfiber cutting disk on it, and an agressive compound, you can do good work if you take the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Griots 3" is good for sanding paint and headlights. For paint, it's pretty ineffective, even with 2" pads.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    For paint, it's pretty ineffective, even with 2" pads.
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile

IME, the fast cutting pad (no foam interface) works pretty well with the GG3...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

Griots 3" is good for sanding paint and headlights. For paint, it's pretty ineffective, even with 2" pads.

It's always great for everyone to have their own experience and then share their own experience

Me?

My experience is this is one of my top 10 tools and I use it all the time. In fact, used it last Friday on a 1965 Buick that will be on display at the Boca Raton Concours D'Elegance this weekend.

I also show this in ALL my classes,

3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Classes
    2-Day Roadshow Classes
    2-Day Boat Detailing Classes

I certainly would not endanger my reputation showing this tool to hundreds of paying students every year if I didn't have confidence in it's abilities.

So yeah Mark -we have different experiences.

In fact, I'm leaving for Utica, New York tomorrow to do some training and I packed this tool to take with me to show the guys at the shop I'm working at.

Like they say, to each their own.

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack, WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

The Griot's 3" machine only has a 4mm orbit

Close - it's 5mm

And for those reading this, there's actually a real benefit to smaller orbit stroke over longer orbit stroke and I explain why here,

The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

Post Thanks / Like

I use my GG3 with the 2" BP all the time too. I don't have any trouble doing correction with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast