autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3” polisher question

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    It's always great for everyone to have their own experience and then share their own experience

Me?

My experience is this is one of my top 10 tools and I use it all the time. In fact, used it last Friday on a 1965 Buick that will be on display at the Boca Raton Concours D'Elegance this weekend.

I also show this in ALL my classes,

3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Classes
    2-Day Roadshow Classes
    2-Day Boat Detailing Classes

I certainly would not endanger my reputation showing this tool to hundreds of paying students every year if I didn't have confidence in it's abilities.

So yeah Mark -we have different experiences.

In fact, I'm leaving for Utica, New York tomorrow to do some training and I packed this tool to take with me to show the guys at the shop I'm working at.

Like they say, to each their own.

Even with 3" pads for correcting paint?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Even with 3" pads for correcting paint?
    Of course.

If it didn’t work I surly wouldn’t show the hundreds of people that attend my classes each year.

I’m fact it’s a favorite in the classes and I’m confident that after using this tool along with the dozens of other tools everyone gets to use, we sell them all!

The key is using LC Thinpro or the Griots BOSS thin pads as well as great abrasive technology and good technique.

I also teach everyone to mark their backing played and then monitor both the black line AND their technique to ensure pad rotation as they work a panel.

Will teach this tool in at least 10 more classes this year. That’s a lot of opportunities to either be the hero or the zero... for another year.

My guess is most people have unrealistic expectations for raw power. But once you take any class I teach I fix this.

Post Thanks / Like

So I’m a huge griots fan and underpowered/correction being my issues. Gotta believe it’s in your class Mike gotta be a solid product. I just got my LC 2” rotary pad and B&S Rotary/DA adapter and extension. Gonna go down to Griots when I get a chance to test it out. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    So I’m a huge griots fan and underpowered/correction being my issues. Gotta believe it’s in your class Mike gotta be a solid product. I just got my LC 2” rotary pad and B&S Rotary/DA adapter and extension. Gonna go down to Griots when I get a chance to test it out. Thanks for the input.

Hmm...

I have NEVER been a proponent of butting any type of extension or adapter onto a Griots 3”Mini Polisher.

I only use it and recommend others to use it with the factory backing plate or the Griots optional 2” backing plate and thin pads.

5. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots polishers are great buy it they give u a lifetime warranty. I never thought of what you said I always made the 3 inch pads works I have a makita rotary I think I have 1 inch and 2 inch plate, extension nuts and pads. I may have used it once or twice with smaller size and 4 of the 1 inch nuts. are you trying to put the rotary extensions nuts on the da after conversion Nut. I’m interested post a pic when mission accomplished on that setup without your nutz!

I have a good story I bought a 21mm long throw watched all the videos about Kevin Brown washer mod. I order a chemical guys 5inch Torx plate grinder my own washer down and the instructions were clear you need a longer bolt when u did the washer conversion. I was so pumped I throw it all together and the longer bolt was still being shipped. I turned the polisher on slow at first and got confident put a pad on and polish cranked that 21mm up to speed five and the bolt immediately gave it whipped the 5 inch plate off so hard and fast I scratched my paint it all happened so fast. The 21mm I use is one for boats and is power just a heads up to everyone. It’s all good after the long bolt when tin but surprised the crap out of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hmm...

I have NEVER been a proponent of butting any type of extension or adapter onto a Griots 3”Mini Polisher.

I only use it and recommend others to use it with the factory backing plate or the Griots optional 2” backing plate and thin pads.

That is the key with this machine. Without thin pads, the correction ability is almost non-existant. Once you put thin pads on it, it is able to do some work. For me, using thin microfiber pads and LC ThinPro pads are a must with this machine unless you just want to use it to apply sealant or something non-abrasive.

8. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

coatingsarecrack
    when I wasn't getting the results I wanted I used that microfiber pad that came with the 2'' kit. I didn't want to keep buffing & buffing that trunk panel. microfiber pad got me there quick & done. I even left one or two fine lines for the next time. and there's going be a next time ! I'm sure your's is the same trim as my gt. did you notice the front bumper section has the same black plastic around the grill ? mine looks good for now so I haven't even touched it. it's going be hard to get at. I may just try it by hand when it needs it. can you post a pic of that trunk panel ? my car has just over a thousand miles on it & it was trashed. I'll be checking out other mustangs when the car show season starts.
    Carlo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    coatingsarecrack
    when I wasn't getting the results I wanted I used that microfiber pad that came with the 2'' kit. I didn't want to keep buffing & buffing that trunk panel. microfiber pad got me there quick & done. I even left one or two fine lines for the next time. and there's going be a next time ! I'm sure your's is the same trim as my gt. did you notice the front bumper section has the same black plastic around the grill ? mine looks good for now so I haven't even touched it. it's going be hard to get at. I may just try it by hand when it needs it. can you post a pic of that trunk panel ? my car has just over a thousand miles on it & it was trashed. I'll be checking out other mustangs when the car show season starts.
    Carlo

I think mines painted or the plastic matches paint well. Hate black cars! This panel 2 day after wash!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

I think mines painted or the plastic matches paint well. Hate black cars! This panel 2 day after wash!

What’s your waterless wash of choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What’s your waterless wash of choice?
    I had some Uber I’m trying to use up. Touch less tunnel wash first and then Uber.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123