autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Used DA polishers - what to look for?

I'm hoping to get into this hobby, but not quite ready to throw down big $$ on a polisher. Is it a good idea to buy used? If so, what should I be aware of when inspecting it?

For example, theres check lists when you buy a used car. Is there something similar for used polishers?

Thanks all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Used DA polishers - what to look for?

You can get a new porter cable for about $125. A new griots garage for about the same. Both great machines. The griots has a lifetime warranty. A great way to dip your toes in. After that it is a slippery slope. Good luck. Phil

3. Likes prostar, Artdnj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had good luck with used polishers. I’ve bought most of them from Autopia as returns. I bought two off eBay and had no problems. You can email the seller and ask why they are selling. If they say that they just don’t use it, look at the pictures and it should look not used. Stay away from pawn shop sellers. Buy a Rupes and if you have any problems you can send it to their repair facility and they will fix it for a fee. There should be a ton of Rupes MKIIs coming up for sale now that the MKIIIs are being presold. Wait until the MKIIIs are on the shelves and you will see some excellent prices on new MKIIs.

When looking at the pictures I look hard at the backing plate, if it looks new I feel pretty safe.

5. Likes prostar, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

every detailer should own at least one traditional style DA (i've said it many times) and the GG6 (like a jack of all trades) can tackle most anything you throw at it with the variety of different backing plates and pads available today. a long throw polisher shouldn't be your only polisher but more of an addition. you can always add another polisher later down the road to accompany it *if need be*. the GG6 is money well spent and GG back their products, so buy with confidence...

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

7. Likes Coach Steve, KBsToy, prostar, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Porter Cable is rock solid. I've bough and sold a few of the the first gen 7424, and the current 7424xp.

Never a problem either way.

My associate was having issues with his 2011 7424xp. It's power was drastically reduced. Once I took it apart, it was the brushes. Ten dollars and about ten minutes later that thing was working like it was brand new...

I've picked them up where the backing plate was shot, but the tool looked like it had maybe an hour of use on it.

I have two Rupes Duettos, and two Minis. One Mini I got here from AG, and everything else was used. The main Duetto is a 2014 model, and runs perfectly. The one I found locally on Craigslist is basically brand new.

I bought a used 3401 for $140.00 + 40 shipping. The issue I had with that was a occasional drops in power. A simple tightening of one of the internal screws took care of that.

I don't know. Maybe I got lucky?

9. Likes prostar liked this post
    Mike Phillips

At this time - I’m my opinion, the best bang for your buck is the Griot”’s 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher.

Used or new.

11. Likes Artdnj, prostar, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome input and advice guys! In general, it sounds like picking up a used established BRANDED polisher is a safe play. Even if it has an issue, some tinkering could fix it or send it in for repair.

Does Griots warranty carry over to a 2nd owner?

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the person selling it has the right to sell it.

I'm currently involved in unwinding a problem I caused myself by purchasing a used polisher from an individual. It appears the company that supplied his shops tools actually owns the polisher.

I think I'm going to come out whole, but it's a hassle, and even though I know I did nothing intentionally nefarious, I feel like did.

I can't discuss the details yet (well, maybe it's more I'm afraid to). But do yourself a favor and do a bit more due diligence than I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    Make sure the person selling it has the right to sell it.

I'm currently involved in unwinding a problem I caused myself by purchasing a used polisher from an individual. It appears the company that supplied his shops tools actually owns the polisher.

I think I'm going to come out whole, but it's a hassle, and even though I know I did nothing intentionally nefarious, I feel like did.

I can't discuss the details yet (well, maybe it's more I'm afraid to). But do yourself a favor and do a bit more due diligence than I did.
    Whoa. That's some shady stuff right there. If the seller had bad intentions to sell stolen goods, he/she would've said anything to make the sale. I'm not sure how much more due diligence you could have done. I'm sorry you have to go through that headache. Thank you for the heads up and sharing your experience.

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I resolve it, I'll tell the whole story. But the evidence this was owned by someone else actually was almost too obvious. I should hve seen it.

I'd estimate that between buying and selling, I have close to 100 transactions, maybe more, of used goods. And never once have I been given reason to think anything funny was going on. So my guard was down, for sure. But I'd be happy if my mistake can serve someone else. Good luck to you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast