autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cut the cord or no?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for opinions on the cordless flex polishers (3401 or xfe7-15.) I've seen the review Mike Phillips did, and some various things pop up here and there about them. But does anyone have any serious amount of time behind one of these?

Been going on a kick lately cutting the cord on a lot of things (mouse, keyboard, bluetooth headphones for on the go, etc) and it's been nice to have less cordage in my life. These really appeal to me, but the (apparent) lack of people using them just raises a big red flag for me. I'm not exactly looking to grab one up right now so it's not something urgent.

Anyone that has spent some time with one, feel free to speak up!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cut the cord or no?

We have both cordless rotary and random orbital. I like the cordless rotary however the random orbital does not have enough power to correct. The orbital works for a one step paint cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

How much heavier is the cordless version? It will be a trade off between cord inconvenience versus the heavier weight of the battery of the cordless one. Also, what’s the run time of the cordless?

Post Thanks / Like

Charge time is about the same as run time. We have 6 batteries that are numbered so we rotate them. This is a picture of the charging station we have. As far as the weight of the cordless is light compared to our Dewalt rotary.

Cut the cord or no?-img_1159-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

I'll chime in....

First - people have to have real-world expectations and the fact is, a cordless tool, no matter what the tool, will never have the power of a cordless tool. This goes to drills, screwdrivers, etc.

Second - So far in all my classes, this means a wide spectrum of people and thus experience and skill levels), the cordless tools are always a favorite and usually always grabbed before the corded versions.

As for the Cordless Finisher - it's called the FINISHER, not the CORRECTOR. The CORRECTOR is the one that is not out yet and it's called the CBEAST. (I have one and love it).

As for battery time, I have an article on that, just have to type in some key words like Battery Life FLEX Cordless Mike Phillips to Google, that's how I find it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would argue that people grab the cordless ones first in order to try them Novelty is an entire industry in detailing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I would argue that people grab the cordless ones first in order to try them Novelty is an entire industry in detailing

Yeah I get you.... but then they say,

I love this tool!

One thing for sure, everone loved the Cordless PE14 for machine scrubbing non-skid and moldy vinyl in the boats at the boat class last weekend. Besides cutting the cord - no shock hazard!

I'll be sharing a video review for the CBEAST - stay tuned....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yeah I get you.... but then they say,

I love this tool!

One thing for sure, everone loved the Cordless PE14 for machine scrubbing non-skid and moldy vinyl in the boats at the boat class last weekend. Besides cutting the cord - no shock hazard!

I'll be sharing a video review for the CBEAST - stay tuned....

I had a chance to use the cordless Rotary Flex during the boat class, this was after using the Makita rotary with a wool pad and Captains Compound.

Although the wool pad on the cordless was a tad smaller it still did a great job of removing the wetsand marks from the boat. I leaned into, just as I did with the corded version, and it DID not bog or quit.

I also used the CBeast. No issues there either when using it on the upper portion of the white gel coat with a foam pad.

I used them since the opportunity was there and could see a place for either one.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Not having to worry about the cord must be really nice

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I feel these cordless tools are awesome IN ADDITION to their corded counterparts. I would choose the corded version if it was the first tool I was buying

Note: I have not tried the cordless versions yet so perhaps my opinion would change if I have.. but doubtful as there is never a true replacement for a corded version.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast