autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cut the cord or no?

Appreciate the input, everyone.

We have both cordless rotary and random orbital. I like the cordless rotary however the random orbital does not have enough power to correct. The orbital works for a one step paint cleaning.
    Really that's what I'm mostly interested in. I don't often need to compound out my personal cars, though I suspect it would have enough juice to spot treat some sections. I think at most I'd only ask it to go over something with a light to medium polish.

Charge time is about the same as run time. We have 6 batteries that are numbered so we rotate them. This is a picture of the charging station we have. As far as the weight of the cordless is light compared to our Dewalt rotary.
    Seems safe to say that you have a lot of experience with the cordless tools? What are your thoughts on the xfe7-15? I'm not looking for a crazy powerful polisher. I do already have an mt300 and a porter cable unit that don't really lack any correcting power in my situation, so I can't imagine the xfe7-15 would disappoint if those machines are perfectly capable of doing what I ask of them. A microfiber pad and a decent compound can seemingly turn any standard 8mm polisher into a complete animal, in my experience anyway.

I'm mostly just interested in cutting the cord to make the dozen or so times I polish a year more enjoyable.

As for the Cordless Finisher - it's called the FINISHER, not the CORRECTOR. The CORRECTOR is the one that is not out yet and it's called the CBEAST. (I have one and love it).

As for battery time, I have an article on that, just have to type in some key words like Battery Life FLEX Cordless Mike Phillips to Google, that's how I find it.
    For sure, and I don't want it for heavy lifting. Just a quality of life upgrade.

Battery Time - FLEX Cordless Polishers - Real World Detail by Mike Phillips at Autogeek

That's the article for anyone who hasn't seen it.
    Not having to worry about the cord must be really nice
    That's what I'm thinking too. It's a pretty expensive machine, for sure. But I'm definitely wiling to pay a premium for a slightly less aggravating polishing experience. Not that the cord is unbearable or anything, but if I can get by without it for 90% of what I'd do.. Why not?

Personally I feel these cordless tools are awesome IN ADDITION to their corded counterparts. I would choose the corded version if it was the first tool I was buying
    I agree, and while I was toying with the idea of unloading my mt300 for cheap if I got one, I may just keep it around just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the cordless rotary and the orbital at a local detail supply store. I loved the feeling of the cordless rotary. I felt the weight of the battery was not an issue and it was balanced and loved the freedom to be able to change the polisher positions without worrying about the cord. With the orbital I found myself tilting the backing plate up in the front and down in the back. This was the opposite from my tendency to lift the back of the plate more than the front with the corded polishers. I assumed that it was the weight of the battery on the end of the handle that was causing me to do it. Although with more experience on the polisher, I'm sure I would get used to it. After polishing a few sections on a practice hood with the orbital I agree with its coined nickname 'The finisher'. I would not use it for compounding.

I only want the Flex cordless rotary now, but I also want that new Rupes rotary. My Makita is over 15 years old, has a ton of hours on it and has never skipped a beat. It has loads of power whenever I might need more so I'll probably get the Flex Cordless rotary.

3. Likes detailsbydennis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'll chime in....

First - people have to have real-world expectations and the fact is, a cordless tool, no matter what the tool, will never have the power of a cordless tool. This goes to drills, screwdrivers, etc.

Mike, this is no longer true with the latest generation of top of the line tools. My Milwaukee Super-Hog cordless has more power than my old corded Milwaukee. I think you'll see the power of these cordless detailing tools get better with each generation too. Of course the latest and greatest batteries are getting huge and heavy. The M18 HD12.0 battery would be exhausting to use on a polisher. Fantastic on my table saw and chain saw though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd wait a lil
    I'm going g to work on an adapter to mate a milauke 18v battery for better run time..
    It's a great start for cordless polishers, bit really don't think at 18v&2/v it'll ever before a viable option for correction duty

38v or something woild be more ideal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12