autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Feedback on the system I chose (Jescar Correcting Compound, Meguiars 205, Jescar Power Lock, Collinite Insulator)

Hey guys,

Giving my first stab at machine detailing after watching, reading and talking to various members. Below is the method/products I'll be using.

My question is - how long do I wait after buffing the correcting compound off before going to the mirror glaze? how long do I wait after buffing the mirror glaze off before going to jet seal? and lastly, how long do I wait after buffing off the jet seal, before applying collinite?

Any recommendations for throwing on two coats of the jet seal and two coats of the collinite?

Thanks in advance!

[method below]
    Full Dawn Wash (old school, I know)

Manual Clay bar

IPA 50/50 water wipe down

Mask trim pieces

Jescar Correcting Compound (with lake country orange pad)

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 (with lake country white pad)

Jescar Power Lock Paint Seal (with lake country black pad)

Collinite Liquid Insulator (with lake country black pad) - removed with wool pad and MF bonnet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feedback on the system I chose (Jescar Correcting Compound, Meguiars 205, Jescar Power Lock, Collinite Insulator)

You don't need to wait at all between polishing steps, or between polishing steps and your sealant. Some of us might advocate some sort of wipedown after the M205 because that's an oily polish, I'm not sure if the Power Lock directions recommend that.

As far as waiting between the sealant and the wax...some of us would want to wait a bit, some of use would just top right after. I'm not sure you really need to do two coats of each, either. I see obsessed Matt says wait 3 hours after buffing the Power Lock before applying 845--that seems reasonable to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feedback on the system I chose (Jescar Correcting Compound, Meguiars 205, Jescar Power Lock, Collinite Insulator)

Here are my thoughts:

- Watch a few of Mike Phillips videos on YouTube. It doesn't matter which product he's demonstrating, but watch how he handles the polisher and his technique.

- Ditch the Dawn soap. Any car related shampoo would work better. I found Dawn really hard to rinse off completly and it seemed to make any black plastic trim bits look older than they really were. Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo is inexpensive and worlds better than Dawn

- I would do a test spot with the 205 and a couple different grades of pads before going after the paint with the compound. Depending on the vehicle and it's condition you might be surprised at the results you can achieve without getting really agressive with a compound. Just because it might be the first time the vehicle has ever been polished, doesn't mean you automatically need to use a compound. I've done a couple long neglected Asian cars with only a polish. The compounds were only used for a couple small trouble areas.

- If you're short on time and/or getting tired, just pick one of your chosen LSPs and call it a day. Both of them should give you up to six months of protection on their own.

I just noticed this is your first post. Welcome!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great advice, thanks for the responses.

I’ve watched a ton of Mike’s videos, but will comb through it again before I start up.

The first car I’ll be working with is an almost always garaged kept 12 year old jet black BMW, paint definitely needs clay and has some bird drop etchings in the rear decklid, but will try going at it with just the 205 first in a test spot that has heavier swirl or etching.

And I’ll give the powerlock 3 hours before applying collinite.

Thanks for the feedback!