autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: City water is too hard, what are my options?

Truck looks amazing. Couple of questions.

1) Cant you remove the nozzle from hose and just sheet the water off?

2) If you wash in shade or night does it still spot?

3) Would a rinseless or waterless alleviate this? Especially since you clean one panel, dry and move to next?

Post Thanks / Like

Soft water isn't enough, you need de-ionized water. There is a company called CR Spotless that a lot of people here buy products from. It's expensive, but like you I just don't have any choice. They are based out of Chula Vista, IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like

You have a choice, you can have a PureTec DI system installed. It's pricey up front, but the price per gallon is manageable. The price per gallon out of the little RV systems is like $1/gallon when your water is 500ppm.

Post Thanks / Like

And, no, soft water isn't enough. Not when your water starts at 400-500ppm. Not even close to good enough. And to answer the question about washing it in the shade, no that doesn't work either. And forget it when summer gets here, which in SoCal is like 9 months a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash with rinseless or waterless using $1 gallon of distilled water from grocery store? Buy and mix batches and use them?

6. Likes glfnaz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider is a pressure washer hooked to a CR spotless will use less water and help your resin last longer if you went that route.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That tiny double resin system is rated at 300 gallons, I believe, when your input is 100-150ppm. I did the math once, it's been awhile, it was like $1-1.50/gallon at 450ppm and that was exclusive of the cost of the system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    And, no, soft water isn't enough. Not when your water starts at 400-500ppm. Not even close to good enough.
    I believe the OP's 400-500 ppm water will be just as soft as my 200-300 ppm water after going through the softener, he will just not be able to treat as many gallons as I do (with the same size softener).

No, you can't do "rinse and walk away" drying with soft water, but I was never able to achieve that with my CR, either. But you don't get spots that won't wipe off, which for me, is "enough".

But, as other members have mentioned, for SoCal dirt, maybe rinseless using distilled supermarket water is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    Why not wash with regular hose water n rinse with this SPX6000C-XR that u fill with DI. It holds 5 gallons which is more than enough to rinse a car ( I can wash a car with 1.5 fills); just a suggestion.
    Yeah it's an option but then I'll be lugging 5 gallon jugs back and forth from the grocery store everytime I want to wash my car. Kind of obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Truck looks amazing. Couple of questions.

1) Cant you remove the nozzle from hose and just sheet the water off?

2) If you wash in shade or night does it still spot?

3) Would a rinseless or waterless alleviate this? Especially since you clean one panel, dry and move to next?
    1. Yes but it'll still leave spots in some areas
    2. Yes, the water is so bad, like really really bad.
    3. Yes I could fill a bucket with DI or distilled water and use that, but I'd probably need to hit a local DIY wash to get the worst off first.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Soft water isn't enough, you need de-ionized water. There is a company called CR Spotless that a lot of people here buy products from. It's expensive, but like you I just don't have any choice. They are based out of Chula Vista, IIRC.

Yup considering it, see my original post. It's El Cajon just 20 min from me. This would slightly reduce the cost of the filter exchanges but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    You have a choice, you can have a PureTec DI system installed. It's pricey up front, but the price per gallon is manageable. The price per gallon out of the little RV systems is like $1/gallon when your water is 500ppm.
    I went to their site but dont see any pricing? Whats the approx price?

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Wash with rinseless or waterless using $1 gallon of distilled water from grocery store? Buy and mix batches and use them?

Quote Originally Posted by OMGClayAiken View Post
    One thing to consider is a pressure washer hooked to a CR spotless will use less water and help your resin last longer if you went that route.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'd definitely go that route if I get it as I already have an electric pressure washer, but I'll still likely use 5-10 gal per car which will chew through the resin pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I believe the OP's 400-500 ppm water will be just as soft as my 200-300 ppm water after going through the softener, he will just not be able to treat as many gallons as I do (with the same size softener).

No, you can't do "rinse and walk away" drying with soft water, but I was never able to achieve that with my CR, either. But you don't get spots that won't wipe off, which for me, is "enough".

But, as other members have mentioned, for SoCal dirt, maybe rinseless using distilled supermarket water is the way to go.
    Yeah I think I'll likely go with my first option (DIY wash/foam) then come home and rinseless ONR.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a bucket filled with your favorite rinseless wash solution and use a Worx Hydroshot when your ready to rinse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast