autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mother’s CMX is here!

I want to revisit this thread.

Yesterday I washed my truck because of all the salt and road grime.
    It was a nice day and I decided to take my time.
    The paint is in really great shape because I take good care of it.

So, after washing and drying, I gave it a pass with an IPA solution and went for the Turtle wax Seal and Shine.
    On the shelf above I had my bottle of CMX, so I decided why not?
    I applied a coat on the paint and the windshield.
    It looks fantastic! It’s smooth as glass, and seems glossier than normal.
    I’m planning on giving it another layer possibly tomorrow.
    My takeaway is that with all the Si02 products out there, CMX is the only one that crystallizes the microfiber towels. That tells me it’s an actual coating.
    What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heloguy View Post
    I want to revisit this thread.

Yesterday I washed my truck because of all the salt and road grime.
    It was a nice day and I decided to take my time.
    The paint is in really great shape because I take good care of it.

So, after washing and drying, I gave it a pass with an IPA solution and went for the Turtle wax Seal and Shine.
    On the shelf above I had my bottle of CMX, so I decided why not?
    I applied a coat on the paint and the windshield.
    It looks fantastic! It’s smooth as glass, and seems glossier than normal.
    I’m planning on giving it another layer possibly tomorrow.
    My takeaway is that with all the Si02 products out there, CMX is the only one that crystallizes the microfiber towels. That tells me it’s an actual coating.
    What do you all think?
    Some other SiO2 sprays will crystallize towels if not cleaned immediately (PA sprays, Moonlight, Cancoat, etc.), but it is interesting that CMX does so because it’s durability has proven to be much shorter by users on the forum. I would put it in the category of competing with the originals such as Reload... weeks durability, good gloss and beading but not top of the line.

But that’s OK because it’s also priced at the bottom of the pack. It’s a decent topper.

3. Likes Loach, heloguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Some other SiO2 sprays will crystallize towels if not cleaned immediately (PA sprays, Moonlight, Cancoat, etc.), but it is interesting that CMX does so because it’s durability has proven to be much shorter by users on the forum. I would put it in the category of competing with the originals such as Reload... weeks durability, good gloss and beading but not top of the line.

But that’s OK because it’s also priced at the bottom of the pack. It’s a decent topper.
    I agree, when you factor in price and what CMX does, it's not a terrible product. I had hyped myself up too much for its performance but I could see myself using it regularly without issues. Just like Reload, starts out incredibly hydrophobic, drops down quite a bit after a few weeks, but you're spending around $20 for CMX at 700ml and $35 for Reload at 500ml.

5. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The TW Hybrid Solutions spray seal blows CMX out of the water. And its cheaper.

7. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mother’s CMX is here!

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    The TW Hybrid Solutions spray seal blows CMX out of the water. And its cheaper.
    This very well could be. I kind of regret using PBL Sealant as the base, which will make it hard to get any good test results of CMX vs TW (and would probably throw in M37 new spray too, even though price point is much higher).

Might be worth it to polish the hood to compare. TW and CMX are head to head competition and it doesn’t surprise me if TW HS spray dominates as DBAILEY alluded to.

Below is a pic of CMX (on top of PBL sealant) after 3 weeks (applied 01/02/2020) in heavy rain.
    -img_1718-jpg-img_1719-jpg

Kind of ugly, and we’ve had very little snow/salt, mostly just rain and mild weather so far in January.

For comparison sakes, I also snapped a pic of 11-week-old Enigma Wax topped with 1 month old PA High Gloss to prove that the weather conditions alone weren’t causing ugly beading:
    -img_1721-jpg-img_1722-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    This very well could be. I kind of regret using PBL Sealant as the base, which will make it hard to get any good test results of CMX vs TW (and would probably throw in M37 new spray too, even though price point is much higher).

Might be worth it to polish the hood to compare. TW and CMX are head to head competition and it doesn’t surprise me if TW HS spray dominates as DBAILEY alluded to.

Below is a pic of CMX (on top of PBL sealant) after 3 weeks (applied 01/02/2020) in heavy rain.
    -img_1718-jpg-img_1719-jpg

Kind of ugly, and we’ve had very little snow/salt, mostly just rain and mild weather so far in January.

For comparison sakes, I also snapped a pic of 11-week-old Enigma Wax topped with 1 month old PA High Gloss to prove that the weather conditions alone weren’t causing ugly beading:-img_1721-jpg-img_1722-jpg

Night and day difference, but two different cars and prep work might not have been the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Mother’s CMX is here!

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Night and day difference, but two different cars and prep work might not have been the same.
    This is true, the BMW was polished in August, ending with Essence as a base. The Acura was last polished over a year ago (Iron X, paint cleaner then prep spray used beginning of January 2020 prior to CMX)... but I can say that the Acura beading looked great a few days after CMX was applied.
    -img_1673-jpg-img_1675-jpg

So I can at least confirm that CMX started with a a good bond... but the car was not coated nor polished recently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I agree, when you factor in price and what CMX does, it's not a terrible product. I had hyped myself up too much for its performance but I could see myself using it regularly without issues. Just like Reload, starts out incredibly hydrophobic, drops down quite a bit after a few weeks, but you're spending around $20 for CMX at 700ml and $35 for Reload at 500ml.
    Comparing Reload and CMX is, at least marketing-wise, apples and oranges. Reload is a sealant that has some binding properties to ceramic coatings. CMX is marketed as a spray coating. Forrest from Mothers touted it 1-2 years ago as a real coating and stated it would last up to a year. To date, have not found anyone coming close to that claim. And in my personal experience I saw 2 weeks. Guaranteed, one has to layer CMX to help durability improve - which then turns it into a relatively expensive "coating". As far as I am concerned, it is a failed v1.0 product from Mothers and they are simply riding on the "coating" language with their products. It's sad and personally I'm disappointed.

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^To mwoolfso’s mention of layering, I should have noted the silver Acura above had 2 coats of CMX applied 48hrs apart in the beginning of January.

Also, being on top of PBL sealant could impact it in some way, but I did so because PBL sealant hopefully provides a decent base for coating toppers being that PBL Synergy requires bare surface, PBL Coating or PBL Sealant as a base. Doesn’t mean this is true, but I took a chance because I wanted a durable sealant as base for the salty winter and then to get the self-cleaning improvement from some of my ‘lesser used’ SiO2 maintenance sprays.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have my original bottle it’s a great product by mothers. I’m judging it because it’s the company’s first attempt at the ceramic market. They did make some mistakes in the lead up to the release. They would have been much better offering it as a 6 month durability spray sealant like reload, ect..... most durability claims are inflated. They just pushed a little to hard on the “coating” term and extreme durability.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast