autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Q: ceramic over xpel...overkill?

putting Ceramic over PPF is pretty popular here in SoCal as well and people are paying big money for it. I know you can put IGL over PPF, ill be doing my first ceramic over PPF this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro, Dr. Beasley's, Gtechniq, and other products coming from AG. But some of these products might not make it to the consumer as they might be only to certified installer in their dealer network.

From the Gtechniq website
    Gtechniq launches a HALO for paint protection film
    Today (Tuesday 30 October 2018), a leading high-performance, surface protection manufacturer has launched a flexible ceramic coating designed to enhance the performance of Paint Protection Film (PPF) and vinyl, keep it looking at best.

Ceramic coatings are great in appearance but a real pain to replace if damaged. They can be scratched, do water spot, and just do cost a lot to prepare the surface for the coating.

Do just search the internet for the ceramic coatings over paint protection film and you will find many videos and comments from the car clubs.

I would be happy with McKee's sealant and do a few waxes each year. But that is only one person's view, to each his own.

Kirby
    Houston

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    CarPro, Dr. Beasley's, Gtechniq, and other products coming from AG. But some of these products might not make it to the consumer as they might be only to certified installer in their dealer network.

From the Gtechniq website
    Gtechniq launches a HALO for paint protection film
    Today (Tuesday 30 October 2018), a leading high-performance, surface protection manufacturer has launched a flexible ceramic coating designed to enhance the performance of Paint Protection Film (PPF) and vinyl, keep it looking at best.

Ceramic coatings are great in appearance but a real pain to replace if damaged. They can be scratched, do water spot, and just do cost a lot to prepare the surface for the coating.

Do just search the internet for the ceramic coatings over paint protection film and you will find many videos and comments from the car clubs.

I would be happy with McKee's sealant and do a few waxes each year. But that is only one person's view, to each his own.

Kirby
    Houston
    Kirby let me buy you a drink man. Lol I think I said it has to be a coating designed for PPF. You cant layer 9H over PPF and you helped my point. Companies are now making PPF friendly coatings and most has to be installed by a dealer. You got what I was saying. You're my new autogeek buddy now lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

A rather neutral response from xpel on the question:

" yes you can use a wax, sealant, or a coating over our product"....
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Personally:
    -I only use XPel’s Sealant on my
    vehicles that have XPel’s PPF on
    them, with excellent results! (See
    below pictures)
    -[Yep: keeping the The Warranty intact
    becomes my top priority after the install.]

An example of PPF sealed with Xpel’s Sealant:

During install:

After install and sealing step:

IMO:
    -Applying any other types of products to PPFs,
    [regardless of the number of “steps”—>($$$$)
    some highway robber deems to be necessary],
    is, IMO, no more than another version of the
    age-old flimflams—“confidence games”.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes glen e liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The same can be said for coatings that you noted above for PPF. Mike P did a post about that very subject and the coating gets dirty over time and holds onto contamination. One thing for sure, no matter how many coats of any coating applied it sure won't stop a rock chipping the paint or down here in Florida a love bug etching from the paint. If a love bug can etch clear coat in 48-72 hours no coating is going to prevent that from happening.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

You can put any wax, sealant, or coating over PPF and a TON of VERY reputable installers do it and recommend it every day. Thread closed.

9. Likes WristyManchego liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I see a lot of situations on the car forums where some unscrupulous detailers are selling newbies with brand new cars a 2 stage polish correction, then PPF like Xpel or Suntek, and then ceramic pro or any of the si02 coatings to "protect" the PPF.

I'm pretty sure that this is overkill. Do coatings stick to xpel? I can't believe that they do, I'm sure a polymer or si02 spray would be more than enuf. Where I see detailers taking advantage of people is they are charging for the ceramic as if there is a tremendous amount of correction , and there is absolutely none when putting it on top of PPF, except maybe an IPA wipe beforehand. PPF plus ceramic can run $5000 from some of these guys… One guy on the Camaro site. was paying 9000 bucks for this triple step package. Wow.....What's your opinion, experts?
    I've been applying ceramic coatings to PPF for 9 year now without issue and the benefits have been very clear. Most notably is the increased resistance to staining and etching from bugs and bird poo.

Polishing prior to applying the film IMO isn't really necessary as the film will hide swirls. On a new car very thorough wash, decon, and claying is all that should be needed, maybe a quick but mild polish to "clean" the surface. I've wet sanded a panel with 1500 grit and applied film over it just to see how much the PPF can actually hide. Once the moisture was gone you could not see the sanding marks and it looked perfect.

The above being said, I will polish the filmed areas prior to installation if the owner insists, but I will explain why it is unnecessary too. IMO is just wasting precious clear coat.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

11. Likes glen e, fly07sti, Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Rasky, excellent information, I too have put xpel over paint with minor swirls and random scratches, and found it covered very well. I've done a few doorsills this way.

So that begs the question: if you don't have to polish/correct before film, and the surface of the film does not Require any prep for coating (to any great degree), does this mean you could do a full film job plus coating for <$800? I've often felt the polishing/correcting is a big labor factor in any of these jobs.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Thank you Rasky, excellent information, I too have put xpel over paint with minor swirls and random scratches, and found it covered very well. I've done a few doorsills this way.

So that begs the question: if you don't have to polish/correct before film, and the surface of the film does not Require any prep for coating (to any great degree), does this mean you could do a full film job plus coating for <$800? I've often felt the polishing/correcting is a big labor factor in any of these jobs.
    Well, the cost for a full PPF job on a car is going to run $5000+ depending on the vehicle and location. The cost to also apply a coating is going to come down to the installer and whether or not it's a consumer coating or a Pro coating. Most pro coatings will carry a MAP pricing which includes minimal prep and correction will be on top of that. When I do a film and coating job where the owner doesn't insist on paint correction of the filmed areas, I may discount the correction cost or the film cost but stick to the MAP coating price.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast