autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

need help with interior conditioning for plastic and vinyl surfaces

About a year ago I took my vehicle to a detailing outfit and paid them for a very good interior detail job. The deal was that I could watch so I could learn how to do perform an interior detail job. This included complete cleaning, carpet extraction with a large mytee machine, conditioner for vinyl, etc. But here's my question - the product they applied to the interior platic door panels and dash/vinyl was a white cream product by Blue Coral. It was not greasy and it lasted a long time with very good results. Later I went back and asked them where they got the product, and they buy it in 5 gallon jugs from a car wash supplier. I called that supplier and they said the Blue Coral had discontinued the retail market, and the smallest amount they could sell me was a five gallon jug. I don't remember the name of the product but the bottom line was 5 gallons was too much product for me because I don't detail for a living.

So I need some advice for what interior conditioning product I can use for the dash and platic and vinyl interior surfaces that gives a nice heavy conditioning affect - such as not the turtle wax interior cleaner I bought at the auto store. That stuff was worse than water and did nothing to condition the surfaces. I have been concentrating only on exterior detailing since starting this hobby but now I need to determine what products you guys would recommend for conditioning the interior plastic door panels, dash, and other soft plastic and vinyl surfaces with something similar to that Blue Coral conditioner that worked well and lasted quite a while. I had considered using 303 protectant, but I noticed that product leaves a shiny/slipper suface, great for exterior plastic trim but I don't want that for my interior surfaces.

Any recommendations for a thick type conditioner that's not greasy but leaves a nice thick finish like that Blue Coral white cream product did so well on the interior surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need help with interior conditioning for plastic and vinyl surfaces

You can always buff off the excess if you are going to use a PDMS product like 303.

Another option is to use Opti-Bond, which is a thick dressing that is absolutely not greasy: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel

Or you can go with the WOWA sealant type interior products which also are non-greasy:

Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant

Ultima Interior Guard Plus 4 oz., interior protectant, rubber & vinyl protectant, rubber dressing

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon preserve gets my recommendation. It leaves a matte finish that is not overly glossy. I have had good results reviving some interior pieces with it. It just works really well.

The photos in Mike's review don't do it justice. It is not that glossy in person.

GYEON Q2M Preserve

Review: GYEON Vinyl Cleaner and Preserver Review by Mike Phillips

GYEON Q2M Preserve Review

Post Thanks / Like

Heard good things about Car pros Perl. Claims 3 months durability on trim so would assume at least that life if not longer on interior. Just ordered a bottle. Will get back with thoughts when personally use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

One other one that works well is Gtechniq C6 Matte Dash. If one does not need any restoration on interior pieces this is a good product to use. It leaves a matte finish even more so than preserve but the thing I like about it, is that it does not attract much dusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Heard good things about Car pros Perl. Claims 3 months durability on trim so would assume at least that life if not longer on interior. Just ordered a bottle. Will get back with thoughts when personally use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perl is a nice product and works well on interiors. I will say that Gyeon Preserve just does a better job from personal experience on vinyl, rubber and plastics. Perl is a hint glossier than Preserve. I use both but always reach for preserve first.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been really liking all the Blackfire products sold here. Namely their Interior Cleaner, Interior Protectant, and their Multi-Surface Protectant. All are exceptional IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

This.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Ultima Interior Protectant. It leaves a silky feel that no other product has. You have to try it to understand. 303 Protectant was my favorite for years before Ultima.