autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting with brand new leather

Thanks everyone!

I went ahead and ordered up some of the Gyeon Leather Shield and cleaner.

I did see the page on Katzkin's website about "just wipe it down", but I still always wonder....is whatever they used really going to hold up for 5+ years? The leather has a 3 year warranty, and even though they seem like a good company to deal with, I always question the "just wipe it off and thats it!" because after 3 years from now if the leather starts fading, cracking, etc....was it because all I did was "wipe it down"? Could I have taken better care of it that whole time?

I will reach out to Katzkin directly some time this week....if they tell me absolutely not for the leather shield, I will just use it for one my cars that came with leather from the factory (which oddly enough tell me in the manual to do more than just wipe it down...)

Post Thanks / Like

Starting with brand new leather

Quote Originally Posted by chris11le View Post
    I always question the "just wipe it off and thats it!" because after 3 years from now if the leather starts fading, cracking, etc....was it because all I did was "wipe it down"? Could I have taken better care of it that whole time?
    I think the 1st issue you’d run into is that the leather would be due for a major cleaning even after just 1yr. Let it go 3yrs. with just a water dampened microfiber and you could easily be to the point where it’s so dirty it needs a steam cleaning.

And if it’s that dirty, then you could also run into the issue where dirt that never gets fully cleaned off becomes an abrasive, which most people say is the leading cause of pre mature wear & cracking.

I think you’re doing the right thing getting a proper leather cleaner like the 1 you chose. Spray into the towel and give your leather seats a quik wipedown at least once per month or even every couple of weeks depending on how much the vehicle gets used.

On this Denali, I give the seats a quik wipedown every 10 days. Nothing crazy, just a quik wipedown/spot check and there’s always spots that benefit from that quik wipedown in order to keep it looking new. I use Meguiars D181 Leather Cleaner.

I don’t use any kind of aftermarket leather coatings on any vehicles because god forbid they change the original look & feel and nobody including myself wants that... And if they don’t change the look & feel than how the heck do you know you’ve even applied anything? Do you see what I mean?Starting with brand new leather

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

I went ahead and ordered up some of the Gyeon Leather Shield and cleaner.

I did see the page on Katzkin's website about "just wipe it down", but I still always wonder....is whatever they used really going to hold up for 5+ years? The leather has a 3 year warranty, and even though they seem like a good company to deal with, I always question the "just wipe it off and thats it!" because after 3 years from now if the leather starts fading, cracking, etc....was it because all I did was "wipe it down"? Could I have taken better care of it that whole time?

I will reach out to Katzkin directly some time this week....if they tell me absolutely not for the leather shield, I will just use it for one my cars that came with leather from the factory (which oddly enough tell me in the manual to do more than just wipe it down...)
    Nice choice. It’s a solid product and it should be fine on the leather.

You won’t need much for maintenance. A weekly wipe down with something similar to Meguiar’s Quik Interior is all that is really needed.

The Gyeon Leather cleaner is safe for the coating as well and maybe give it a deep clean a few months down the road. You won’t find much dirt with weekly wipe downs with what I have mentioned.

You also won’t alter the look of the leather.

Enjoy and post back your feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey anyone here use Connolly leather cleaner? Just bought a bottle cuz it was cheap? Reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Starting with brand new leather

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    And if they don’t change the look & feel than how the heck do you know you’ve even applied anything? Do you see what I mean?Starting with brand new leather
    Sad but true!

One customer had me so mad because he insisted I didn’t apply a protectant, but I used what I considered to be my best product on it (Ultima Interior Guard Plus). I even did two coats. Man I wanted kick him in the ding ding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Eldorado2k, DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did see the page on Katzkin's
    website about "just wipe it down",

but I still always wonder....
    is whatever they used really going to
    hold up for 5+ years? The leather has
    a 3 year warranty, and even though they
    seem like a good company to deal with,
    I always question the
    "just wipe it off and thats it!"

because after 3 years from now if the
    leather starts fading, cracking, etc....
    was it because all I did was
    "wipe it down"?
    You must have missed the following
    Katzkins cleaning recommendation:

”Use a mild solution of Ivory bar soap
    and clear, lukewarm water...”

Little more than just “wiping it down”...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

8. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, they don't really have any instructions on *routine* maintenance.

Just "spots and spills" and "stubborn spots and spills".

I find that....interesting. Does that mean if I never drop anything on my leather, I can just leave it alone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12