autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cermic coating vs. Pro ceramic coatings

So Im thinking about finally going pro. My question is what is the difference between the brands of coatings that are sold here versus the professional detailers brands. Any help would be appreciated. Also, where could I get a list of choices for pro detailers line?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cermic coating vs. Pro ceramic coatings

Quote Originally Posted by prin View Post
    So Im thinking about finally going pro. My question is what is the difference between the brands of coatings that are sold here versus the professional detailers brands. Any help would be appreciated. Also, where could I get a list of choices for pro detailers line?
    What is sold here are consumer based coatings. Pro coatings are generally authorized by that particular manufacturer.

Pro coatings are touted to be more durable and last longer.

Many manufacturers have their professional line of coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

What is your current coating and what do you hope to achieve moving up to a"pro" coating?

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I’ve been slow to move to ceramic coatings. I find it hard to believe these coatings last up to 2 years. I prefer to wax cars every 6 months and in between use spray waxes each week. That said I plan to ceramic coat 3 cars with McKeys next week. I use Mequires for most everything. I try not to buy into all the marketing hype in the industry for all these new products. I pretty much use 105/205 compound and polish, old school I guess. I find the consumer products perfectly fine. Wax, sealants and coatings all have their place.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

5. Thanks caddyjack thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prin View Post
    what is the difference between the brands of coatings that are sold here versus the professional detailers brands
    1000 dollars.

7. Likes Finick, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    1000 dollars.
    Quite the opposite in some cases I'd imagine.

One advantage to being part an Authorized Installer program is probably significantly lower pricing on any of their products that they also offer to the public.

Using Gyeon as an example, I'd hazard a guess that an Authorized Installer isn't paying the same price as a consumer for other products in the line like Prep, Rim, Cure, etc.

For coatings specifically, I'm pretty sure that when using a Authorized Installer product that is a mid-level coating, achieving the same level of performance with a consumer-grade is likely to cost significantly more, in one case $60 for 50ml for Installer product vs $170 for similar consumer grade offering.

While the upper level, supposedly 'Top Dog' offerings an Authorized Installer has access to are probably somewhat more 'potent' than consumer, cost savings across the mfg's entire line are also a likely benefit.

Just guessing as I'm not a pro by any stretch, nor have I ever really looked into any Authorized programs but it seems logical from what I've been able to gather.

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even with the cost difference beteen pro and consumer product some customers do not want to pay the price and go with a consumer level coating. So you will need access to both grades if that is the way you want to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Quite the opposite in some cases I'd imagine.

One advantage to being part an Authorized Installer program is probably significantly lower pricing on any of their products that they also offer to the public.

Using Gyeon as an example, I'd hazard a guess that an Authorized Installer isn't paying the same price as a consumer for other products in the line like Prep, Rim, Cure, etc.

For coatings specifically, I'm pretty sure that when using a Authorized Installer product that is a mid-level coating, achieving the same level of performance with a consumer-grade is likely to cost significantly more, in one case $60 for 50ml for Installer product vs $170 for similar consumer grade offering.

While the upper level, supposedly 'Top Dog' offerings an Authorized Installer has access to are probably somewhat more 'potent' than consumer, cost savings across the mfg's entire line are also a likely benefit.

Just guessing as I'm not a pro by any stretch, nor have I ever really looked into any Authorized programs but it seems logical from what I've been able to gather.
    I think he meant that a consumer level coating he can do himself and a pro coating requires you to pay a pro to do it and then it’s big bucks. If one has access to pro coatings he/she should not need to ask us what the difference is or that certification wasn’t very thorough LOL.

I think the big difference is how long it will last but that to me is irrelevant since I think 2 years is the most I’d consider leaving the car unpolished so a decent consumer level coating is all I need.
    Bruno Soares

12. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know some pro coating need IR curing so you have to invest in that expensive equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I think he meant that a consumer level coating he can do himself and a pro coating requires you to pay a pro to do it and then it’s big bucks. If one has access to pro coatings he/she should not need to ask us what the difference is or that certification wasn’t very thorough LOL.

I think the big difference is how long it will last but that to me is irrelevant since I think 2 years is the most I’d consider leaving the car unpolished so a decent consumer level coating is all I need.
    Perhaps, but taken in the context of the OP's statement of "So Im thinking about finally going pro." it seemed worthwhile to note that there might be some additional benefits to becoming an authorized installer beyond access to the claimed benefits of specific Pro-only coating products.

In any event, there are apparently quite a variety of "Authorized Installer" agreements, some requiring more than simply taking the class and paying the fee. Physical location requirements, monthly minimum purchases, continuing education needs...quite the array of associations to choose from.

15. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast