autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cermic coating vs. Pro ceramic coatings

Thank you all for the pm's and the replies. I will be considering all.

Post Thanks / Like

What’s the difference between a $5 Coating and a $500 coating? In actuality very little. The pro coatings allow you to advertise you have a “special” coating that is only sold through authorized dealers. It gives the appearance that they are getting a top of the line product and you can charge more. A pro coating mars and scratches just like a $5 coating. It’s funny when I talked directly to manufacturers and asked for a “pro” type coating they had no idea what I was talking about as they only sell coatings that vary in SiO2 and other content. They don’t sell a coating for “pros”, they just sell coatings. For example CarPro buys coatings from a manufacturer, the manufacturer could care less what CarPro does with the coating. CarPro decides to call one of the coatings a “pro” only coating to give it cache so their dealers can charge more. Marketing 101 profit.

3. Likes itsgn, custmsprty, MomNPop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the "pro" coating has a higher concentration and has a smaller window of flashing so much more attention needs to be paid to for removal time, it's one thing I can think of right away. Products that are "finicky" to us mortals are probably not an issue to those who work with them day in and day out, hence the name "pro".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

A little off topic but?? I am not convinced that either coating is worth the money. I detail on the side and did two identical vehicles that were just over a year old. One had a pro coating on from the dealer and was garaged and the second was left outside. These vehicles both went through a Canadian winter so were exposed to snow and salt. During the detail I did not notice any difference. When I washed they both had the same amount of brake dust and dirt in the paint. Brake dust came off the same with not a real difference between the two. No noticeable difference in beading.I topped each off with a synthetic sealant and was pleased with both results. My 0.02$

6. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sleper View Post
    A little off topic but?? I am not convinced that either coating is worth the money. I detail on the side and did two identical vehicles that were just over a year old. One had a pro coating on from the dealer and was garaged and the second was left outside. These vehicles both went through a Canadian winter so were exposed to snow and salt. During the detail I did not notice any difference. When I washed they both had the same amount of brake dust and dirt in the paint. Brake dust came off the same with not a real difference between the two. No noticeable difference in beading.I topped each off with a synthetic sealant and was pleased with both results. My 0.02$
    If the "pro" product was installed by the dealership porter there's the problem right there. No offense to those who work at a dealership and clean cars but I just get the impression there's pride in their work one bit, maybe that's the "get off my lawn" guy coming out.

That said, coatings are superior to everything else out there and we're now seeing spray on coatings now. Maybe they don't last 1-3 years but if they can get an honest 6 monthes and up to a year out of these sprays it's going to put waxes out of business and sealants will be on notice.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree I have not been impressed with local dealers and what they turn out. That being said it had been 16months or so since the vehicle was done. I had hoped for better results from a ceramic coating

9. Likes MomNPop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree I have not been impressed with local dealers and what they turn out. That being said it had been 16months or so since the vehicle was done. I had hoped for better results from a ceramic coating
    Just to be clear, your not happy with the coating a dealership installed?

11. Likes MomNPop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What dealer coating? Some dealers call the protection they put on a coating but in most cases it is just a sealant.

A harsh winter is going to impact anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    What dealer coating? Some dealers call the protection they put on a coating but in most cases it is just a sealant.
    JaxWax and Simonize both sell their version of actual coatings to dealers. Jax is local to me and it's an okay product but not one I would use. Seen it in action but I'd say both are likely just slightly better than sealants.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Differences usually are:

1. Much more expensive product to buy. Prices I have seen so far are about 2 to 3 times higher on pro coatings vs regular consummer ones.
    2. More difficult to apply, thus needing the certification and all that. Might not be true for all brands, Optimum's pro coating don't seems any more difficult to apply than the regulard one, but for brands like Gtechniq and Ceramic Pro, they are.
    3. More restrictions on application method and cure times. Again, some of those pro coatings require long cure time before the vehicle can be given back to the client, some requiring infra-red lamps to cure.
    4. Most of the pro versions have some kind of warranty. That can be good and bad for you since you will be the one re-doing the job for free if the client complains. From what I understand, the companies only provide the replacement product, not the labour.

So, pro coatings will allow you to make more money upfront in most cases, but there are caviats you should not ignore when making your decision on what products to offer. In my case, since I am mobile the only pro coating I could offer would be Optimum's since they don't require special installation conditions. I haven't pulled the trigger on it because of the cost of certification (1500 US$) and the cost of the product. I am unsure my market could support 1500-2000$ installation costs.

I am doing quite well with the consummer grade products, so for now I don't see much of a need to change my offering.

15. Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast