autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Better to detail before snow or after snow ?

So I'm an amateur detailing enthusiast. Couple weeks ago, I told wife's friend I would detail her car for her. We had agreed for her to drop car off this evening (Friday) and she can pickup Saturday evening.

Well weather man said snow this weekend, starting Saturday evening and on to Sunday.

Wife's friend said may be we shouldn't do it this weekend because of snow. She doesn't want my work to go to waste.

I told her it was up to her but IMO its better to do it before than after because her paint will then be protected against snow and salt, etc. And after snow she can perhaps take it to brushless car wash to get the shine back, it won't be wasted.

Was that good advice ? or is her concern valid ? and that detailing after snow was better.

Pls advise.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Better to detail before snow or after snow ?

It really matters not.. One snow storm with road treatment isn't going to make or break it regardless if the paint is protected or not. IMO, a full detail should probably wait until sprig, then just do maintenance in the winter months. Your friend is right, having you spend all that time to decontaminate, correct and protect in front of a pending storm is fruitless.

I moved to AZ from NH, and I can state that full details happened between mid-April through end of September, early October. After that business trailed off for full correction/coatings etc... Everyone in NH knows what's in store between November through March...

3. Thanks Oz_TCH thanked for this post
    Likes Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most compounds, cleaning agents, detergents, etc. will not work as intended (or at all) close to freezing temperatures. They will not get activated, will not dry or cure in ample time, or will not be able to bind properly. Similarly plastic trim will get more brittle and your hand will also get less sensitive, the finger movements less precise in cold, which in turn means you'll cause damage easier and with higher likelihood to the car. A heated garage might help there, but be still not ideal.

So, my answer would be, that it's best to detail before or after winter time, but not during it. Whether you're before or after snow, doesn't matter in this regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I would just decon wash it and apply protection if you have a warm garage. Then when spring comes the full detail with decon and correction and protection.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all these guys, perhaps spring is best and only a decon/protect now; but I don’t think u were wrong in what you told her. It probably would suit her to have protection on sooner if u have a semi-warm garage.

She’s probably thinking that a detail is only a cleaning and why clean before the car gets dirty? We know that protection will make cleaning easier in the future and protect against further contamination for the near term.

Post Thanks / Like

I say before, during and after. Detailing is something that we all enjoy and most of us (like me) will make up any excuse to work on a car. Our fellow members make valid points about all of the hard work going to waste but there are some detailing activities that won't go to waste like cleaning the interior windows, cleaning and applying protectant to the interior and floor mats, applying a sealant and allowing it to cure overnight in a garage.
    I would say that it would be a waste to perform a complete three step paint correction, but go ahead a give that lady a clean car.

8. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I say before, during and after.
    ^^^This

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

This is making me want to go outside and do a thorough waterless wash with Megs D114 and apply a fresh layer of sealant right now... I personally like to have my vehicle protected before this kind of rain hits. Plus who doesn’t like watching some good strong beading?Better to detail before snow or after snow ?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a heated garage there's no issue. I detail all winter long here with great results

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

12. Likes UncleDavy, mdbenge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    This is making me want to go outside and do a thorough waterless wash with Megs D114 and apply a fresh layer of sealant right now... I personally like to have my vehicle protected before this kind of rain hits. Plus who doesn’t like watching some good strong beading?Better to detail before snow or after snow ?

Sure, rub it in why dont ya while some of us are suffering through a cold Winter! Better to detail before snow or after snow ?

As far as the question is concerned, I agree with everyone. It is best to detail throughout the year as long as the products allow you to use them in cold temperatures. No need to hurt your reputation because a product was used in a less than perfect environment.

If you do it, make sure to post pictures! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

14. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast