autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone explain “wash induced marring”?

Desertnate
    Thank you for taking your time to answer my question and help me out. I’m talking about Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax for example. What microfiber pads and towels would you specifically recommend for me in this case. I bought a bottle and honestly it leaves a haze on our Durango because I’m doing it wrong.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, wash, dry truck then apply hybrid ceramic wax Meguiars. The next day I see all this haze all over. Makes me mad, I really want to learn. I know experience is my best teacher and there no fast track. I do have a 3” Rotary Polisher with a black foam pad, I’ll try that. Either way I know it’s a learning process, at least for me. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good article by The Man (compliments of SkyNet) re: hand polishing & waxing technique. They key point is to use the whole hand and not just the fingertips.

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

Here's my favorite MF towels for wax/polish/sealant removal and final buffing :

Cobra Forrest Green Edgeless. I use these for the inital wipe/removal. They also come in other colors if that matters to you.

Cobra 12 Pack Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

Griot's PFM Wax Removal. These are very nice, almost too nice, so I save them for use only with products I know will wash out easily (I have had some issues with certain sealants being difficult to wash out of MF's).

Griots Garage PFM Wax Removal Towel, Set of 4

Cobra Super Plush Jr. This is what I use for my final buff and also when using a QD. They are definitely super plush and soft. I like the 16x16 (ie. Jr.) size as they are easier to handle.

Cobra Super Plush Junior Microfiber Towels 6 Pack

Post Thanks / Like

@57Ramer I thank you for your time I do. I’m trying to better my skills because I have my own detailing business, God first I’ll succeed. Thank you for taking YOUR time to write and post all those links for me. Take care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    In my experience, no. They do not. All I have corrected in my life have been Mopar vehicles.

But every case can be different.
    Can you share how you got experience correcting vehicles? A local garage told me I can go get free panels fo practice on, but how would I recycle them. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Just like the "Holy" phrase here on AGO of "Test spot" implies.....

Finding "THE best" of anything really comes down to experimentation.

Different cars, different paints, different products/machines.

You can only learn so much from reading/inquiries. The next step is to dive in and see what works for you.

All AGO members started from square one, so I know first-hand the sea of confusion you are experiencing.

Time to pick a line and dive in, brother.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Can you share how you got experience correcting vehicles? A local garage told me I can go get free panels fo practice on, but how would I recycle them. Lol

Yes I can.

Months of reading, weeks of questions/PM's to senior members, then just picking what I thought was best from all suggestions. Then I just dove in head first.

And I learned that all of my worries were unfounded. Paint correction is not rocket science.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

PaulMys, thanks again. Well it doesn’t help when the people you listen to make it seem so difficult. A detailer from YouTube made a video made it seem like it was the hardest thinks. Of course the comments section had people giving him piece of there mind, well I already got a 3” rotary polisher. I’m just dive in, and ready to make mistakes lol

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate
    Thank you for taking your time to answer my question and help me out. I’m talking about Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax for example. What microfiber pads and towels would you specifically recommend for me in this case. I bought a bottle and honestly it leaves a haze on our Durango because I’m doing it wrong.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, wash, dry truck then apply hybrid ceramic wax Meguiars. The next day I see all this haze all over. Makes me mad, I really want to learn. I know experience is my best teacher and there no fast track. I do have a 3” Rotary Polisher with a black foam pad, I’ll try that. Either way I know it’s a learning process, at least for me. Lol
    It's hard to diagnose without any pictures, but if you are seeing haze the day after the work is complete and not immediately afterwards, you might be seeing some side effects from applying the sealant too thick, not buffing it out completely, or simply letting it sit too long before buffing out which leads to not being removed completely. Hard to say.

Is you 3" polisher a true rotary or a dual action polisher with a 3" head on it? A true rotary might not be a good idea for sealant application as it will generate too much heat and cause even more problems. Even when applying a sealant with my DA I keep it really slow on speed 2 or 3 just to keep things safe.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

@Desertnate, I wasn’t properly buffing it out. I tried it again and it looks awesome. The 3” rotary is a true rotary not DA.

Stupid question but I don’t know, if you apply Meguiars hybrid ceramic liquid wax and it rains am I suppose to go dry it or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid question but I don’t know, if you apply Meguiars hybrid ceramic liquid wax and it rains am I suppose to go dry it or not?
    Absolutely not. If you go outside and dry rain off your car you’ll wind up instilling swirls because the surface you’re wiping down isn’t clean.

11. Likes dwaleke liked this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast