autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Products that work best on brake dust

Hey guys I'm working I'm cleaning up some monte carlo cast aluminum checker board wheels and these things have a ton of brake dust caked to the insides, looking for some opinions on what might work best to help loosen all this grime!
    I know it's gonna take some elbow grease regardless but with all the nooks and crannies I want something that's gonna help leave my arms intact lol.
    I've tried both megs ap cleaner and megs non acid wheel cleaner and both are helping but I've still got well over 2 hours just into this wheel alone and I'm getting tired lol.
    any suggestions are greatly welcomed and appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Wheel Brightener will do a better job than those 2 products you’ve tried so far. If you’re in a hurry or don’t want to wait for a shipment, you can pick up some Meguiars Hot Wheels Chrome & Wire Cleaner at your local auto parts store since it’s basically the same active ingredient that’s in Wheel Brightener.

If you are willing to wait for a shipment, then I’d suggest something called Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner. Find it online. That stuff works like nothing else on the planet. It’ll get those wheels clean in no time. That’s what I used on my 16yr old wheels and they cleaned up in 1 try.

Before.

After.

Otherwise just use the Meguiars Chrome & Wire or Wheel Brightener and a Magic Eraser and they’ll clean up. Just make sure you use the Magic Eraser on the barrel of the wheel 1st so you can see how it affects the finish before using it on the face of the wheel.

The Magic Eraser paired with any of those wheel cleaners will make a huge difference so I’d start there 1st. Good luck!

3. Likes LP14SS, DETAILROOKIE, WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products that work best on brake dust

Holy cow that's awesome! I think I'll go try the megs hot wheels cleaner first since i can get it immediately but I may pick up some of that brown royal for fututre use because those are just some spectacular results!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LP14SS View Post
    Holy cow that's awesome! I think I'll go try the megs hot wheels cleaner first since i can get it immediately but I may pick up some of that brown royal for fututre use because those are just some spectacular results!

Don’t forget the Magic Erasers.Products that work best on brake dustProducts that work best on brake dust

6. Likes PaulMys, LP14SS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding it to my list lol!!!

8. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eldarado2k, do you find that the Hot Wheels is as potent as Wheel Brightener. WB is my go to for wheels in rough shape but I don't use it often enough to justify buying by the gallon.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some Wheel Brightener and it works great but is very strong. Wear gloves, eye protection and probably long sleeves when using it. Not a product you would use for weekly cleaning in my opinion.

Dave

2017 Toyota Tundra
    2013 M37S Infinity
    2007 BMW 335i convertible

Post Thanks / Like

Another one is Mckees foaming wheel cleaner gel along with Meguiars Iron remover or Iron-X
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

12. Likes LP14SS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    Eldarado2k, do you find that the Hot Wheels is as potent as Wheel Brightener. WB is my go to for wheels in rough shape but I don't use it often enough to justify buying by the gallon.
    I haven’t used it in years, but I do remember using it to clean up some Cadillac hubcaps front and back and the results were on par with what I’ve come to expect when using Wheel Brightener, so I’d say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by crovello View Post
    I bought some Wheel Brightener and it works great but is very strong. Wear gloves, eye protection and probably long sleeves when using it. Not a product you would use for weekly cleaning in my opinion.

Dave
    I hope you’re using all that PPE when using Meguiars D143 Non Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner, because they’re both the same level 3 hazard on the label... 1 is not safer than the other. Consumers aka Average Joes have been using Meguiars Hot Wheels Chrome Wheel Cleaner for decades without an issue. Same goes for Eagle 1 Chrome & Wire Wheel Cleaner, which is basically the same active ingredient aka “acid”

14. Thanks yakky thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Contrary to popular belief, Wheel Brightener was indeed made to use on a weekly basis, that’s why it’s part of Meguiars Detailers Line. Every product in that line is meant for the maintenance detailer to use on a weekly/bi weekly maintenance detail routine in order to produce great results with minimal elbow grease at a great value for the detailer at work. That’s why if used weekly/bi weekly in conjunction with a pressure washer it can work as a touchless wheel cleaner for the most part.

There’s never been any documented proof that an acid based wheel cleaner degrades or destroys OEM clear coated wheels. I challenge anyone to find such a case on this forum... You won’t be able to because no such thing has ever happened.

16. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast