autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Plexiglass - Airplane Windshield

Hey everyone,

So I have a 1956 Cessna 172 that needs the windshield (made of plexiglass) polished due to many scratches on it (previous owner(s) kept a cover on the plane that probably led to excessive rubbing and previous owners not using proper rags to clean before flight). I have decided to use my Griot's Garage DA with Meguiars PlastX or Novus 3 step plastic polish. My question is what kind of applicator pad should I use?

My idea was to go use my DA with a LC Green foam pad and step to an Orange pad if necessary but I don't know the effects of foam applicators or if I should buy a different pad set to make an optimum finish.

Thanks for your advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plexiglass - Airplane Windshield

Give it a go. Worst case you're ordering a new one from Aircraft Spruce. I have a feeling you're going to have a really hard time getting the corners looking decent.

Square tail, and fastback. SWEET!

3. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Give it a go. Worst case you're ordering a new one from Aircraft Spruce. I have a feeling you're going to have a really hard time getting the corners looking decent.

Square tail, and fastback. SWEET!
    I love my straight tail! It gives some excellent rudder authority in crosswinds. My dad has a 62 with the swept tail as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have about 4500 hours, and used to fly for a living. Currently a sim instructor for a large safety-related company. I wish we could do a 172 but with a growing family we need a 182 or bigger. Love to see some pics of the bird!

Post Thanks / Like

I have about 4500 hours, and used to fly for a living. Currently a sim instructor for a large safety-related company. I wish we could do a 172 but with a growing family we need a 182 or bigger. Love to see some pics of the bird!
    That's awesome! I have just over 150 hours at this point. I decided to step off the track towards professional flying and just fly for leisure recently (I wanna be home for dinner and family events more than not). How do you like doing the Sim work?

Post Thanks / Like

I do it for the same reason you just mentioned. I'm home every night with my kids. The financial sacrifice is worth it to me. I'm still doing quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

I do it for the same reason you just mentioned. I'm home every night with my kids. The financial sacrifice is worth it to me. I'm still doing quite well.
    I never thought of going down the safety and simulator world of aviation. Maybe it's something to look into. I am finishing my business degree specializing in supply chain management, but working in aviation would be awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to work in a building with another company up front that had a number of simulators...used to go up at lunchtime sometimes and watch through the window.

Back on topic, I don't know if you're going to get anywhere with that PlastX, I never had much luck with it but I can't remember what I used it on...could have been headlights which are Lexan/polycarbonate and harder than your plexi (I guess).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I used to work in a building with another company up front that had a number of simulators...used to go up at lunchtime sometimes and watch through the window.

Back on topic, I don't know if you're going to get anywhere with that PlastX, I never had much luck with it but I can't remember what I used it on...could have been headlights which are Lexan/polycarbonate and harder than your plexi (I guess).
    I had the good fortune to fly one of the advanced simulators in Tennessee at the transition training center for a small private jet while there for Air Force leadership training.

As for PlastX I think you're right. I haven't had a chance to try because temps have fallen sharply here in Michigan. My order of Novus 3 step correction arrived so I have that to use (and may skip the Meg's and just use that).