autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing glass question

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yes. The towel now glides over both sides of the windshield smooth as silk. The glass is now in its best possible condition.

Looking good. Could a magic eraser remove what was on the inside of the windshield?

2. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Looking good. Could a magic eraser remove what was on the inside of the windshield?
    Yes it will.

The reason I like the McKee’s Glass Restoring Polish is because it not ony removes the gunk, but also eliminates the need to clay, whereas the Magic Eraser sometimes can’t do both.

4. Thanks java thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yes it will.

The reason I like the McKee’s Glass Restoring Polish is because it not ony removes the gunk, but also eliminates the need to clay, whereas the Magic Eraser sometimes can’t do both.
    When polishing the inside of the windshield, do you use a machine or by hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Polish by hand mainly, but you could use a Rupes Nano. You would have to watch out for sling. McKees has an interior glass polish, 20/20. It is NOT to be used on tinted windows. I bought a bottle before I read the warning. It needs to be in bold type in the description and on the bottle. I caught it when, for once, I read the directions.

7. Thanks java thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Polish by hand mainly, but you could use a Rupes Nano. You would have to watch out for sling. McKees has an interior glass polish, 20/20. It is NOT to be used on tinted windows. I bought a bottle before I read the warning. It needs to be in bold type in the description and on the bottle. I caught it when, for once, I read the directions.
    Actually I thought the same thing until someone asked Nick directly if it was tint safe and this was his response.

Yes, although on the bottle I mention to avoid using it on tinted windows. If the tint is in good shape, meaning it's not peeling off, you'll be good to go.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

9. Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When polishing the inside of the windshield, do you use a machine or by hand?
    I did it by hand. I had been hesitant on using any kind of product to polish the inside of the windshield because there’s an antenna layered into the glass on the interior side and the manual says to be aware of it aka be careful not to accidentally scrape it off somehow. But it’s only on the top right hand side of the windshield, so I just made sure to avoid that area.

But either ways I wouldn’t have done it with a machine, because doing so would’ve created a huge mess inside the car. The McKee’s product is fully effective when used by hand.

11. Thanks java thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    Actually I thought the same thing until someone asked Nick directly if it was tint safe and this was his response.

Yes, although on the bottle I mention to avoid using it on tinted windows. If the tint is in good shape, meaning it's not peeling off, you'll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app[/QUOTE]

Well thank you very much! I thought I had a product that was going to be tossed. My fear was that it would either scratch the tint or the chemical composition was something that would fade or compromise the tint. Many glass cleaners are not tint safe as they dry out the tint and make it brittle. They should add this to the description. This could be a CYA type thing in case it does harm tint.

13. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing glass question

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Well thank you very much! I thought I had a product that was going to be tossed. My fear was that it would either scratch the tint or the chemical composition was something that would fade or compromise the tint. Many glass cleaners are not tint safe as they dry out the tint and make it brittle. They should add this to the description. This could be a CYA type thing in case it does harm tint.[/QUOTE]

Yes I do agree with your points! For further reference You can find the article in the m37 brand specific section in here. But yes coming from tint installation I always wondered what exactly caused certain glass cleaners to damage tint especially carbon ceramic tint vs cheap dye based tint.

Post Thanks / Like

Does glass pads have a long life span? Does glass pads have to be brush off randomly while polishing?

Do you clean glass pads like foam pads

Do you know if the Griot's glass pads will work with other brands of compounds and polishes?

Did you notice a big differences in clarity after you polish the Buick windshield?

Sorry for all the questions.
    We finally had a chance to test the coating and the clarity of the windshield. Yesterday it rained as if the world was coming to an end and the wife was impressed with the coating. In the heaviest of rain on the highway, she only needed intermittent wipers and she noticed that some of the pitting was not as visible. We'll see how long the coating lasts.

16. Likes PaulMys, Breese147, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    Well thank you very much! I thought I had a product that was going to be tossed. My fear was that it would either scratch the tint or the chemical composition was something that would fade or compromise the tint. Many glass cleaners are not tint safe as they dry out the tint and make it brittle. They should add this to the description. This could be a CYA type thing in case it does harm tint.
    Yes I do agree with your points! For further reference You can find the article in the m37 brand specific section in here. But yes coming from tint installation I always wondered what exactly caused certain glass cleaners to damage tint especially carbon ceramic tint vs cheap dye based tint.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app[/QUOTE]

Ammonia is what is not so good to use on the old tint version at least. Don't know how it is on the ceramic tint though. Ammonia is used in many household glass cleaners and in some of the ones for detailing car glass and often the cheap big jugs of glass cleaners.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast