autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing glass question

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Test the mf cutting pads and the M101. Do it a couple of times if you still feel that the coating has not come off. And do you test with water behavior if the coating is gone? Then if you do do you use an ipa or a panel wipe product or a glass cleaner to remove the polishing oils first before testing the water behavior? Cause if you don't get the polishing oils off you can see some beading and sheeting. Then I think some windshields are different too in how the water behavior is on them. Different glass material seems to be behave different.

If the glass coating is 2 years old it should be worn down so you could polishing off rather easy with a regualar compound and cutting pad. But I'm not saying it's the case. Do you know if the G1 where heavy applyied? And is the car a garage queen? Then it could be a little harder to get off.

Glass is very hard so they use cerium oxide abrasives in a glass polish. Which is way harder than abrasives in compounds. And to get it a little more complicate all glass polishes don't have cerium oxide in them. The one I know on AGO is Carpro CeriGlass polish. So if you want to be 100% certain get that and a Carpro glass polishing pads. If you have a 3" backing plate it would be great but it works with a 5" backing plate too but can sling a lot on a windshield depending on the curve on it. And get either the 3" Carpro glass polishing pads or the 5" to that. This will take the coating off or you are haveing a beast of a coating to take off LOL.

CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish, windshield polish, water spot remover

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass cutting pad

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs

/ Tony
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to pick up the glass pads to experiment with using the M101, M105. Hopefully it not the panel prep products I'm been using not fully removing the polishing oils.

My friend wanted to put the coating so he know what to do when he does his. So, I believe it was put on heavy. This October that just pass made 2 years since the coating was put on.

How does Ceriglass work with a PC 7424? I don't want to remove any defect just the coating.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried it out yet as I have just bought it. And then the winter came so it will be a spring project to test it out. I have a mini polisher with a 3" backing plate. And I would suggest to get a 3" backing plate to your XP polisher. As the glass polishing pads are thin and with a wider backing plate. You could be getting a lot of slinging product since the pad could be away from the glass sometimes. So just to minimize the slinging when polishing is the reason I went with a smaller pad.

The goal for me is just to get the glass deep cleaned and hopefully knock down the edges of the defects on the glass. So it's visible getting better. In your case would be the coating and with the harder abrasives in the glass polish it should be aggressive enough with something like ceriglass. The glass polishing pads and the M101 or M105 could also work as I think that the pad is more aggressive than a cutting pad for paint. But first try to do a couple of panel wipe product wipe down and see so you get all of the polishing oils off. Remember to use clean mf towels and switch to a clean side often so it soak up the polishing oils good. The Megs compunds are heavy with polishing oils so it can be needed more effort to get them off. If you have the option if you are going to buy a panel wipe product. Try gtechnic panel wipe or a wax and grease remover as they are a notch better to desolve the polishing oils than a ipa or ipa based panel wipe product. You could try with a higher % of ipa maybe 50/50 with distilled water. Cause if the application was right of the coating. And been on there for 2 years it should be getting off with a cutting pad and compound. Think you mentioned that you had a mf cutting pad. Test that with a compound and see how it works. Work on the passenger side on a test spot on the lower parts of the windshield there. And try to compound it until you getting it off. Wipe off the compound after every sections passes and wipe it off and panel wipe product wipe down and inspect.

Are you going to apply a windshield coating again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to pick up the glass pads to experiment with using the M101, M105. Hopefully it not the panel prep products I'm been using not fully removing the polishing oils.

My friend wanted to put the coating so he know what to do when he does his. So, I believe it was put on heavy. This October that just pass made 2 years since the coating was put on.

How does Ceriglass work with a PC 7424? I don't want to remove any defect just the coating.
    Ceriglass works fine with a polishing pad as well. As does Mckee’s glass restorer. They are both abrasive polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply!

Does McKees's glass restorer has cerium oxide like Ceriglass or just a polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Can Car Pro or Griot's glass pads be used with any brand of backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

Did you find the glass pads easier to clean than foam pads?

Have you tried any other kind of pads beside the glass pads on the windshield?

I don't think the Griot's glass polish would remove any of the coating if the Meguiars compound couldn't but I could be wrong.

Look like Sunday you could see how the windshield coating is performing.
    The Rayon pads were a little more difficult to clean because they are not as porous as foam pads. The glass pads are also not as thick as a foam pad. The Griots polish is a fine polish designed to remove slight scratches and water spots. It probably will not remove a coating. I would try a more aggressive glass polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply!

Does McKees's glass restorer has cerium oxide like Ceriglass or just a polish?
    That is a question for Nick. It does offer the same hydrophilic behavior as Ceriglass once the glass has been polished.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It’s only on the downward stroke, which prevents it from being able to leave the windshield dry.

It’s so annoying that just now I was driving in the rain and did my best to drive without the wipers on...

If it's only chattering in one direction, you might alleviate the chatter by bending the wiper arm very slightly. Sometimes after polishing, I've found glass to be TOO slippery. The blade is unable, under pressure, to flip back the other direction, and results in one-way chatter.

With two hands on the blade, just give it some twisting pressure. Just a hair is all it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    The Rayon pads were a little more difficult to clean because they are not as porous as foam pads. The glass pads are also not as thick as a foam pad. The Griots polish is a fine polish designed to remove slight scratches and water spots. It probably will not remove a coating. I would try a more aggressive glass polish.
    Thanks for the reply!

i'm going to pick up the Griot's glass pads. Which backing plate are you using? I have to pick up another one, mine has a crack in it.

I'm not sure if you mention it or not. Do I need a interface pad?

How's the Griot's glass sealant working out for you?

Today while driving in the rain I'm glad some of the coating was still there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    That is a question for Nick. It does offer the same hydrophilic behavior as Ceriglass once the glass has been polished.
    Thanks for the reply!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast