autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing glass question

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Have you had a chance to try it again?
    The heater gave out in the garage I was using. Right now it's to cold to compound. It should be repaired or replace next week.

I was thinking on using the 3M 39002 or the 3M 06085.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I'm not planning on removing any wiper scratches or rock chips. I just want to remove the previous coating for the new coating.

I have no steel wool but I did used the Clay Magic blue clay with car wash soap as lube.

How's the Griot's glass pads? Do they same durable? I tried my 3M wool pad and Lake Country purple foam wool with Meguiars M101,M105, with a rotary. No luck there.

I do have Meguiars microfiber cutting pads, that I haven't tried yet.

Who would figure a 2+ years old coating would be so hard to remove.
    The Griots glass pads are made of Rayon and they work well with their polish. They are also very durable. Some fellow members had some problems with wool pads flinging wool particles all over.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you have the Meguires microfiber pads give them a shot. I have not ran into a paint coating that I have not been able to cut through with microfiber pads and a heavy cutting compound like Menz 400 or Meguires d300. I haven’t tried to remove any glass coatings. What brand of coating are you trying to remove?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    The Griots glass pads are made of Rayon and they work well with their polish. They are also very durable. Some fellow members had some problems with wool pads flinging wool particles all over.
    Does glass pads have a long life span? Does glass pads have to be brush off randomly while polishing?

Do you clean glass pads like foam pads

Do you know if the Griot's glass pads will work with other brands of compounds and polishes?

Did you notice a big differences in clarity after you polish the Buick windshield?

Sorry for all the questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Since you have the Meguires microfiber pads give them a shot. I have not ran into a paint coating that I have not been able to cut through with microfiber pads and a heavy cutting compound like Menz 400 or Meguires d300. I haven’t tried to remove any glass coatings. What brand of coating are you trying to remove?
    Trying to remove Gtechniq G1.

Does microfiber pads cut better than wool pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Does glass pads have a long life span? Does glass pads have to be brush off randomly while polishing?

Do you clean glass pads like foam pads

Do you know if the Griot's glass pads will work with other brands of compounds and polishes?

Did you notice a big differences in clarity after you polish the Buick windshield?

Sorry for all the questions.
    No problem man. I did clean the pads like foam pads using Blackfire Citrus Pad Cleaner and warm water. The pads do have a long life span. I used two pads for the entire windshield and I did not clean them in between polishings. The Griots pads are Rayon which is an aggressive material so I would imagine that they would work with other polishes as well.
    There is a big difference in clarity. The polish did not remove every scratch and you can still see some pitting on the windshield but it is sometimes looks like there is no windshield at all. We have not had any rain yet and I am waiting to see how the coating performs.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to remove Gtechniq G1.

Does microfiber pads cut better than wool pads?
    Thanks and for me the microfiber pads held onto the compound better and cut through the film. Too much sling with the wool pad I used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    No problem man. I did clean the pads like foam pads using Blackfire Citrus Pad Cleaner and warm water. The pads do have a long life span. I used two pads for the entire windshield and I did not clean them in between polishings. The Griots pads are Rayon which is an aggressive material so I would imagine that they would work with other polishes as well.
    There is a big difference in clarity. The polish did not remove every scratch and you can still see some pitting on the windshield but it is sometimes looks like there is no windshield at all. We have not had any rain yet and I am waiting to see how the coating performs.
    Thanks for the replies!

Did you find the glass pads easier to clean than foam pads?

Have you tried any other kind of pads beside the glass pads on the windshield?

I don't think the Griot's glass polish would remove any of the coating if the Meguiars compound couldn't but I could be wrong.

Look like Sunday you could see how the windshield coating is performing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Thanks and for me the microfiber pads held onto the compound better and cut through the film. Too much sling with the wool pad I used.
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to use the microfiber pads on my uncle SUV glass. Tons of water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Test the mf cutting pads and the M101. Do it a couple of times if you still feel that the coating has not come off. And do you test with water behavior if the coating is gone? Then if you do do you use an ipa or a panel wipe product or a glass cleaner to remove the polishing oils first before testing the water behavior? Cause if you don't get the polishing oils off you can see some beading and sheeting. Then I think some windshields are different too in how the water behavior is on them. Different glass material seems to be behave different.

If the glass coating is 2 years old it should be worn down so you could polishing off rather easy with a regualar compound and cutting pad. But I'm not saying it's the case. Do you know if the G1 where heavy applyied? And is the car a garage queen? Then it could be a little harder to get off.

Glass is very hard so they use cerium oxide abrasives in a glass polish. Which is way harder than abrasives in compounds. And to get it a little more complicate all glass polishes don't have cerium oxide in them. The one I know on AGO is Carpro CeriGlass polish. So if you want to be 100% certain get that and a Carpro glass polishing pads. If you have a 3" backing plate it would be great but it works with a 5" backing plate too but can sling a lot on a windshield depending on the curve on it. And get either the 3" Carpro glass polishing pads or the 5" to that. This will take the coating off or you are haveing a beast of a coating to take off LOL.

CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish, windshield polish, water spot remover

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass cutting pad

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs

/ Tony

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast