autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing glass question

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

Look good.

Is this the kit you used Griot's Garage Glass Polishing System

Which polisher did you use? Beside my rotary I have the first generation Porter Cable 7424. In which I don't think it would be effective on polishing a windshield.
    Yes, I used the Griots Glass Polishing System. It is a great product but do not expect any miracles. I modified the process a little starting by cleaning the glass with Invisible Glass. Then I use the Invisible Glass as a lube and used 0000 steel wool. Then I clayed the windshield again with Invisible Glass as a lube. Then I went through the polishing process. The glass polish is a FINE glass polish designed to remove minor scratches and water spots. If you notice my windshield, all of the pitting is still there. I used my new Griots GG6 polisher and I went over the same area three times. The GG6 has more usable power than the Porter Cable 7424 XP (850 Watts vs. 540 Watts), but the Porter Cable should be able to remove any water spotting. For more serious glass polishing, you would need a more powerful machine like a rotary and a stronger polish.
    The Griots glass sealant was easy to apply and easy to remove.

2. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the Griots polish and pad last night with my Flex.

Has there been any mention of using an interface pad to help follow the curve.
    I let my daughter try it last night and she kind of heated up the rayon pretty good. Ooops, learning curve.

Anyway I'm trying the Carpro setup next, the Griots does clean the snot out of the glass but it would be nice to see more wiper marks disappear.

Kappy

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I used the Griots polish and pad last night with my Flex.

Has there been any mention of using an interface pad to help follow the curve.
    I let my daughter try it last night and she kind of heated up the rayon pretty good. Ooops, learning curve.

Anyway I'm trying the Carpro setup next, the Griots does clean the snot out of the glass but it would be nice to see more wiper marks disappear.
    In the 4th post of this thread, there's a recommendation to use the Innerflex pad:
    Review: Griots Fine Glass Polish - How to remove water spots and road film off car glass

5. Thanks spazzz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

I have a few different compounds I'm going to try next.
    Have you had a chance to try it again?

7. Thanks damonb10 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
    In the 4th post of this thread, there's a recommendation to use the Innerflex pad:
    Review: Griots Fine Glass Polish - How to remove water spots and road film off car glass
    Thanks.

Unfortunately the Griots Interface pad gets lousy reviews.

I found some on amazon. Now it's a matter of 5" soft or medium.
    I would think medium since the rayon pad make it rock hard by itself.

Kappy

Thanks.

Unfortunately the Griots Interface pad gets lousy reviews.

I found some on amazon. Now it's a matter of 5" soft or medium.
    I would think medium since the rayon pad make it rock hard by itself.
    I didn't see any reviews before purchasing the 5" Griot's Innerflex pad. I've used one pad four or five times; haven't had any problems with it, and it made a noticeable difference in how the pad itself conforms to the glass. I wonder if the reviewer reported the incident of the foam separating to Griot's, or Autogeek, and if they replaced the pad?

10. Thanks spazzz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they remedied it by now.

So it does work pretty good?
    I mean really, I don't stand on it so I shouldn't have a problem.
    I'm not trying for unrealistic results, just want the film off.

Thanks for getting back.

Post Thanks / Like

The interface pad is a great idea for use with the rayon pad. You need something to conform to the glass curvature.

After my fail with the wool pad I went back to my Megs microfiber cutting pads. First I tried Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Glass Polish, a no-go. I grabbed my new bottle of Menzerma SC 300 and easy-peasy done. The Wolfgang stuff was disappointing.

Kappy

Maybe they remedied it by now.

So it does work pretty good?
    I mean really, I don't stand on it so I shouldn't have a problem.
    I'm not trying for unrealistic results, just want the film off.

Thanks for getting back.
    I don't remember if I missed the recommendation for the inner pad, or just decided to get the glass pads first and see how they worked, but the first time I tried the polish I had some areas where I felt like the pad wasn't making good contact with the windshield. Then I bought the inner pad and it has been a much better experience.

Let me add that I am far from a detailing expert, although Mike Phillips is, and if he recommended the Innerflex Pad I should have listened to him in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Yes, I used the Griots Glass Polishing System. It is a great product but do not expect any miracles. I modified the process a little starting by cleaning the glass with Invisible Glass. Then I use the Invisible Glass as a lube and used 0000 steel wool. Then I clayed the windshield again with Invisible Glass as a lube. Then I went through the polishing process. The glass polish is a FINE glass polish designed to remove minor scratches and water spots. If you notice my windshield, all of the pitting is still there. I used my new Griots GG6 polisher and I went over the same area three times. The GG6 has more usable power than the Porter Cable 7424 XP (850 Watts vs. 540 Watts), but the Porter Cable should be able to remove any water spotting. For more serious glass polishing, you would need a more powerful machine like a rotary and a stronger polish.
    The Griots glass sealant was easy to apply and easy to remove.
    I'm not planning on removing any wiper scratches or rock chips. I just want to remove the previous coating for the new coating.

I have no steel wool but I did used the Clay Magic blue clay with car wash soap as lube.

How's the Griot's glass pads? Do they same durable? I tried my 3M wool pad and Lake Country purple foam wool with Meguiars M101,M105, with a rotary. No luck there.

I do have Meguiars microfiber cutting pads, that I haven't tried yet.

Who would figure a 2+ years old coating would be so hard to remove.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast