autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing glass question

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    Carpro Clearcut works great on glass too, follow with essense then apply coating.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    yes that looked like my glass. i used griots fast correcting cream with a lake country foamed wool pad and it cleaned it all up but i had to work it in for a bit since the window hasnt been cleaned in years. turned out great just a little hard to get around the corners.

2. Likes Boudin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently had the bad idea to polish my windshield with a 3 inch wool pad and Wolfgang Perfekt Glass Polish. The wool pad was new and it covered my car in wool bits and it slung polish all over the place. My first experience with wool pads was not a good one. I’m going back to microfiber pads. Also it didn’t cut through the road film.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Scratch wise, Ceriglass with the proper corresponding pad will be required to remove light scratches and wiper trails, etc. Been there done it and won't do it again.
    I successfully removed the wiper trails that had been on the windshield of my DTS using Meguiars M100.

Before:

M100 with Megs microfiber pad and HFDA.

After:

It did a phenomenal job! It wasn’t even alot of work either. Maybe I got lucky? I’ll take it, because my windshield had been bugging the heck out me.Polishing glass question

5. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that’s pretty remarkable! Just with M100. I have M101. I wonder if it does the same thing. Next time I come across a windshield in need of polishing, I’m going to try it. I have old surbuf pads I can try first before getting MF pads.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

7. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Wow that’s pretty remarkable! Just with M100. I have M101. I wonder if it does the same thing. Next time I come across a windshield in need of polishing, I’m going to try it. I have old surbuf pads I can try first before getting MF pads.
    I’ve never tried M101. I went with M100 because you can really feel the grit when you rub the compound between your fingers. I felt like it might be up for the task and it worked.

Post Thanks / Like

From that description, M101 sounds similar. It’s the only product I got total results from even working by hand. I’d be very surprised if it couldn’t work on glass since M100 did so well.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

The polishing with M100 definitely got rid of any beading on my windshield. This is what it looked like this morning.

I didn’t have a coating on it before, but it did bead prior to polishing it, the way all glass normally does.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty surprised a paint polish got those trails out--and when did Meg's start making blue polishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

I read a lot of horror stories with people distorting there glass using Ceriglass or Cerium Oxide. I'm not brave enough to try something that I may have to replace if I mess things up.
    That's virtually impossible, unless you're using it on a rotary buffer and you keep buffing at the exact same place for minutes, without moving the buffer even a tiny bit. Glass is extremely hard, and even with ceriglass and ample pressure it takes a lot of time until you can actually abrade a significant amount of it. As long as you're using a relatively large pad (so anything above 4 inches) and using some common sense, not tracing just the scratches exactly, but working also the surrounding area, it will be impossible for you to create any distortions in the glass this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I recently had the bad idea to polish my windshield with a 3 inch wool pad and Wolfgang Perfekt Glass Polish. The wool pad was new and it covered my car in wool bits and it slung polish all over the place. My first experience with wool pads was not a good one. I’m going back to microfiber pads. Also it didn’t cut through the road film.
    My first time with a wool pad I did my friend car with a velcro 3M 9" wool pad, me, the car, and everything around was covered in wool fibers. Once it broke in it wasn't to bad.

14. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast