autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing glass question

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I have used Rainx and Aquapel and I would say that the Griots is far better than Rainx and on par with Aquapel.
    Thanks for the reply!

I don't know why, but I could never get RainX to wipe off clean. Never tried Aquapel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    When I used to help out doing state inspections at my friend garage. We never used to scrap off sticker or put on inspection sticker on Cadillac windshield, we always put them on the passenger side window. I always told there was some kind of film or something on Cadillac windshield.
    I think that's from that couple of years when Cadillac put that anti-laceration plastic film on the inside of the windshield...which they stopped doing because of all those inspection sticker and other problems with it. Um...I just looked that up and it was in the mid-80's...so not sure when you doing those inspections.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think that's from that couple of years when Cadillac put that anti-laceration plastic film on the inside of the windshield...which they stopped doing because of all those inspection sticker and other problems with it. Um...I just looked that up and it was in the mid-80's...so not sure when you doing those inspections.
    I was doing inspections about 10+ years ago.

It was mostly the older crowd that held on to there cars forever. I've seen quite a few 20yrs old car, immaculate shape with about 50,000 original miles on the odometer.

I did a Google search and I couldn't find the name of the film.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a Google search and I couldn't find the name of the film.
    Oh, I did--it wasn't a film but a whole windshield with additional laminate layers--it was a Saint Gobain "Securiflex" and Libby-Owens-Ford "Inner Shield"; I'm not sure what GM called it but I think it was "Inner Shield".

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/808062

Cadillac history 1985

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I did--it wasn't a film but a whole windshield with additional laminate layers--it was a Saint Gobain "Securiflex" and Libby-Owens-Ford "Inner Shield"; I'm not sure what GM called it but I think it was "Inner Shield".

Cadillac history 1985
    What’s the name of that 2nd website?

It’s neat to see a list of all the features w/prices. I’ve always wondered if there’s any Cadillacs out there without the twilight/dimming sentinel. I’ve always thought that was the stupidest feature ever. Maybe it’s because I’m anal about headlights and like to turn them on/off when I want to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What’s the name of that 2nd website?

It’s neat to see a list of all the features w/prices. I’ve always wondered if there’s any Cadillacs out there without the twilight/dimming sentinel. I’ve always thought that was the stupidest feature ever. Maybe it’s because I’m anal about headlights and like to turn them on/off when I want to.
    No idea about that 2nd website, I found that page through Google. As far as the Twilight Sentinel...oh, I see what you're getting at, that was a separate option (those were the days, when everything was separate so you could pick just what you wanted, instead of everything grouped into packages like now), you're asking did anyone buy the car without it? What is the "dimming sentinel"?

Post Thanks / Like

No idea about that 2nd website, I found that page through Google. As far as the Twilight Sentinel...oh, I see what you're getting at, that was a separate option (those were the days, when everything was separate so you could pick just what you wanted, instead of everything grouped into packages like now), you're asking did anyone buy the car without it? What is the "dimming sentinel"?
    That’s too bad because that looks like a real good website.

There’s a chance the twilight sentinel can be purchased as an individual option even today... I think that so many of the cars were grouped into packages like they are now and shipped to the dealerships even back then. That explains why you pretty much never see a Cadillac without the
    -twilight sentinel
    -cruise control
    -power seats
    -tilt/telescopic steering wheel
    -electric remote control outside mirrors
    -twin lighted vanity mirrors
    -carpeted matts

As you know, picking your car exactly how you want it could mean months of waiting.

The dimming sentinel automatically switches to your lowbeams when it senses a car approaching towards you, and switches back to highbeams once the coast is clear... See what I mean about it being stupid? Like when the heck are you even going to be able to use that?

Here’s something neat. It’s an original Cadillac owners manual from 1955.

Inside came this little note with the instructions on how to use the dimming sentinel, except back then when it 1st came out they called it the “Autronic Eye”

It was a big deal back when it was 1st introduced, which is why I think they’re so adamant in making sure every Cadillac to this day comes equipped with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac history 1985

Thanks for posting the links!

Are the laminate layers affected by the sun UV rays, like plastic headlight lens?

Post Thanks / Like

@Eldorado2k

Do you know if Cadillac was the first to use these types of headlight controls?

My friends father had a 65 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Edition that had these type of headlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know why, but I could never get RainX to wipe off clean. Never tried Aquapel.
    The original RainX was near impossible to completely buff clean. I use it on my company car but I use the combination RainX window cleaner. It lasts for about a month.

11. Likes java liked this post
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast