autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Before I start picking up a DA polisher I have a lot of unanswered questions ...

Before I start picking up a DA polisher I have a lot of unanswered questions...

Hello everyone!

I am a 59 YO newbie and I'm thinking about trying my hand at detailing my own cars. I "found" detailing by clicking on a YouTube channel of a Detailer and he made the light stuff look fairly easy, before that I was thinking it was way too hard to detail a car. I then found another channel where he also seems to give good sound advice and he really has me wanting to try and get my cars looking better.

I have already started to take care of the interior of the cars - I use Mequiar's Interior Detail for cleaning and Mequiar's Ultimate Quick Wax for protection on the surfaces. If I keep up with the cars it should be no problems keeping them clean. Yes they are consumer level products but I really don't have the need for gallon sizes of these products from their professional lines. My assumption is the wax is very similar to their synthetic x-press wax; I may be switching to another product for the interior when I use up the wax I have. Since finding the 2nd detailing channel I have seen that other products do as well as the Mequiar's products.

At this point my plan is to use the Mequiar's Ultimate Liquid wax as it can be used throughout the exterior - I used it once last year on my wife's white car and it made everything look great, hopefully it does the same on my black car. I have other ideas after watching a ton of videos. I am looking for paint enhancement at this point not paint correction (I really hope not!) My black Sonata has a lot of spider marks so I would like to take care of them.

But for the outside I have questions about using a DA polisher that I haven't really seen addressed. Maybe I'm over thinking it but I have seen and heard that it can be easy to burn the paint.

So here it goes!

Using a DA - how do you handle areas around lettering, emblems, door handles and those windshield washer protrusions in the hood? My Sonata has it's name spread across it's trunk. Is this an area that needs to be done by hand?

How do you handle body contours? My Edge has 2 large humps on the hood and both have some contours.

What about painted pillars by the windshield? I have seen videos where they tape up areas, Is that what is done along with a smaller pad and backing plate? I am assuming I need to protect the "chrome" pieces from any damage from a DA.

Where body panels meet?

I may have more I have watched a lot of videos on using a DA but they always show it on a hood and if the hood has contours they are usually smallish.

I appreciate any help! Thanks in advance!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Before I start picking up a DA polisher I have a lot of unanswered questions ...

Excellent post, i look forward to the responses from another newbie.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Before I start picking up a DA polisher I have a lot of unanswered questions ...

you'll want to use a smaller polisher with smaller pad set up to get into those tight areas, anything else where the pad cannot get into will have to be done by hand. as mike says, "let the panel be your guide" and adjust the polisher/pad to the contour/panel you're buffing. when you buff where panels meet/join, it's best to either tape the edge (links below) or buff close to it. do not keep buffing on an edge/raised body line for long as there is the potential for damage to happen...

3M Vinyl Tape - 06404
    3M Vinyl Tape - 06405
    CarPro Automotive Masking Tape 3 Pack

here's a great thread to check out for those who are new to machine polishing...
    Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

4. Thanks Wanna Learn thanked for this post
    Likes Wanna Learn liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t look over the videos from this site but the experienced and professional detailers I’ve watched haven’t addressed my questions I asked. I’ll live with spider/swirl marks vs burning through clear coat or paint. Machines, backing plates, pads and some of the polishes and or sealants I think I have a handle on, of course all that can change. It seems that some people debage their cars but I’m not interested in that. Good luck with your learning this stuff!

6. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the links, I’ll take a look at the videos!

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in....

Machine buffing thin panels or tight areas can be done with just about any polisher it's just that you have to invest the time behind the polisher to learn how to make it do what you want it to do.

Or as I like to say, with enough practice you can make any polisher dance on paint.

If you're just working on your own cars, the Griot's Garage 6" DA is a great option. Add the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher with the 2" backing plate and 2" pads and you can tackle just about any panel with these two tools.

If you want to buff out cars faster then get a gear-driven orbital, FLEX, Makita or RUPES all make gear-driven orbitals and these tools are the focus of one of my classes at Mobile Tech Expo this Thursday.

Worst case scenario is to work the thin and intricate areas by hand and tackle the larger, flatter panels by machine. You can go nuts over making each square centimeter of your daily driver's paint perfect of just do BIG PICTURE detailing and get most of the paint and move on.

Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

Gear-driven Orbital Polishers

9. Likes Kamakaz1961, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To address some of your last questions:

Yes, Masking off badges, trim, handles, etc is very wise to do before going to work with any machine on a vehicle.

Because once you damage them, or stain them with polishes or waxes, it is often too late to undo the damage caused.

Some even go to lengths to mask seams of where fenders meet doors, etc., as if you get excesses of polishes into those areas, it can be pretty tough in certain instances to remove those residues.

If not buying masking tapes here, then usually auto paint supply shops, the big box auto parts stores, and even places like Walmart will have some on hand. It's good to have a few different widths on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Another point with the badges and trim: You're not necessarily going to damage badges and trim with a DA, but you will likely damage your pad if you hit up against badges or trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t worry about burning your paint with a DA polisher. While it can be done you would have to let the polisher sit in one spot for an awfully long time. Keep the polisher moving and you will not hurt anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Another point with the badges and trim: You're not necessarily going to damage badges and trim with a DA, but you will likely damage your pad if you hit up against badges or trim.
    Yes, a very good point also. Sorry I forgot mentioning that, but glad you did, thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast