autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Before I start picking up a DA polisher I have a lot of unanswered questions ...

As the proud owner of a high-dollar Flex polisher---I think they are unnecessary if your car's finish is in good condition.

Clay barring a car isn't that big of a deal. You don't need to nanoskin with a machine. These days they have very durable sealants that don't even need to be wiped on as a liquid. Just spray and wipe. As your post implies, there is going to be a certain amount of elbow grease anyway, depending on how conscientious you are being.

I love the look of a hard paste wax Collinite 476 on my car---but there are other options.

I guess I should add that there is a real temptation to start grinding away on your car's finish with a DA polisher. Not the machine's fault, but human nature and real.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Before I start picking up a DA polisher I have a lot of unanswered questions ...

In my old age I've gotten very pragmatic about how to use a polisher on my car that is kept in good shape. I use the polisher for the big wide open flat areas, then when I'm done, I take off the pad and use the pad manually to go in and around the badges and strong curves. It's worked for me for years. I don't really sweat the small stuff anymore. I only polish once a year.
    Glen -

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies! I do appreciate the effort all of you made to help me understanding this.

I started thinking about polishing the car(s) when I bought my 2018 Sonata 2 months ago and noticed it has spidering in the paint and doesn't really pop (it is a metal flake black). I haven't owned a black car in over 30 years but do like the look when they are shining.

My other cars consist of a 2016 white Ford Edge that the dealer put a Simonize coating on and claims it'll protect it for years (I doubt it) but I have been trying to keep up with it using Mequiar's Ultimate liquid wax - that car shows nothing! And I have a 2010 red Hyundai Elantra that my son drives that can use probably a 2 step as it is dull as all heck ... his car, his problem but I figured also try to get that looking better if we could (has some clear coat issues on the handles). And get him to understand yes you have to wash and wax a car!

I'll continue to watch videos to "learn" so if someday circumstances change and I do get a DA I'll be almost ready!

Thanks again!

4. Likes SWETM, Celabe liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234