autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amateur here, need to update my arsenal

Ive been detailing for a while, not professionally, just on the side here and there and my own vehicles. Ive always just bought what I thought were good waxes and polishes from my local auto parts store. The best thing I ever bought was 3m's perfect-it paste wax...I swear by that stuff! What im looking for is a good all around polish, not something outrageously expensive, but moderate priced....a good leather cleaner and conditioner...and im curious to see what pads you all use on an orbital buffer for polishing. (not DA style buffer if that makes a difference) I bought a new to me truck (05 model) and it was clearly a drive thru queen...didnt see any paint correction that needs done, just swirls that id like to go away.

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Amateur here, need to update my arsenal

For a good polish at a good price, check out the Poorboys and XMT lines. I haven't used System 1 X3 yet, but it can be purchased in smaller quantities without breaking the bank and is supposed to be able to replace many of the 2 step polishes by itself.

For leather, consider Lexol if budget is a concern (personally I think Pinnacle's leather conditioner is worth every penny).

Not sure what type of polisher you're talking about... you mean like a small palm sander?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by makdaddy626 View Post
    For a good polish at a good price, check out the Poorboys and XMT lines. I haven't used System 1 X3 yet, but it can be purchased in smaller quantities without breaking the bank and is supposed to be able to replace many of the 2 step polishes by itself.

For leather, consider Lexol if budget is a concern (personally I think Pinnacle's leather conditioner is worth every penny).

Not sure what type of polisher you're talking about... you mean like a small palm sander?
    Thanks makdaddy, ive heard alot about pinnacle and think i'll go with it.

As for the polisher, i was referring to this DeWalt 849 Variable Speed Circular Polisher: A heavy duty circular polisher for professional scratch and swirl removal.

Sorry for the confusion...im not up to snuff on the fancy terms yet...

What pads would you all recommend for that machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the pads sold here should work fine, pick a system (Edge or backing plate) and then make sure to get the right type (color / abrasiveness) for the job you're wanting to accomplish.