autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone buy straight d-limonene and cut it for use as an APC ?

Do any of you guys buy straight d-limonene citrus solvent and cut it yourself for use as a APC ? I've been reading about d-limonene, it seems to be used as an effective general purpose cleaner and degreaser depending on the strength used. Are the citrus based cleaners in the auto detailing industry basically d-limonene, or are they modified to be more useful in detailing ?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone buy straight d-limonene and cut it for use as an APC ?

I use a product that is not quite straight d-Limonene. It has some others stuff mixed it to make it more useful as a cleaner, and an emulsifier.

I don’t use it much, but it does come in very handy when you need it.

I mostly use it on carpets for oil and grease stains at ratio around 3-4oz per gallon. I use it straight on a cloth for gum, and adhesive removal.

From my experience it doesn’t make the best all around APC because:

It’s expensive.

It doesn’t foam

It’s not safe on more delicate interior plastics and “leather” seats.

Not really good wheel or tire cleaner. Maybe better at stronger ratios.

Ok as a tar remover straight, but not as good as something like Tarminator, and more cost because you are using it straight.

Then you have APCs with a little bit mixed in.

I my opinion APCs with added orange terpenes do seem to clean better than most APCs without them.

I also avoid using them on interiors to some extent and only use it on “leather” in extreme circumstances. I don’t use it on possible delicate or clear plastic pieces. I will use it on hard interior plastics in places like kick plates around the doors and the bottom of the door cards where they get scuffed a lot.

I use this type for most exterior needs. Mostly wheels and tires, but also for cleaning plastic rubber trim. Something as as pretreat on the paint occasionally, always work from the bottom up. Avoid it on glass and I try to avoid getting stronger cleaners on headlights too.

I believe they can only add a small amount of “orange” because it decreases the foaming affect.

I have used, and now use something similar to this

3D Orange 88 Degreaser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes SWETM, DetailedByPrecision liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone buy straight d-limonene and cut it for use as an APC ?

•No, not me.
    -I find it to be a “Best Practice”, to not make
    it a practice, of mixing chemicals at home.

”An Ode to tattooman”:

He went and bought some d-limonene:
    (It was Industrial Grade)
    Now those darn stains will come clean:
    (I’ve got it made!)

Who can forget his easy-going demeanor?
    {Oh! how he loved that d-limonene cleaner.}
    Its vapors made a sweet aroma;
    He slipped himself into a coma.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

5. Likes SNP209, UncleDavy, DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mixing chemicals at home is very dangerous and I don't think anyone on this forum would recommend it. The only ingredient that you should add to a chemical compound is water in order to adjust the pH. The only other mixing of solutions should be for a perfect Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Margarita or Mojito.

7. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never used it straight. I know it expensive. About a month I ago purchased a nano drum from 3D the super citrus.i planned on using it as a tire cleaner but after playing around with it I am going to use as interior apc. It would probably be equal or less than purchasing d-lim. D-Lim is also contained in the product. The nano drum tech that 3D came up with is pretty unique. When I fill up my 32oz trigger spray I add the super citrus product with a couple 5ml eye droppers into the 32 Oz and it does what it says. If you do purchase try contacting the company for information on surface it can damage. It might be dangerous to you if mixed with another chemical or ruin certain surfaces on a car. I like to use products off category but degreaser and apc have a lot of big boy chemicals in them already. A lot of risk involved what are you looking to use you mix for? The extent of my chemical mixing is that I became sick of replacing trigger sprayers when using while megs acid based wheel brightener so after I use it I unscrew the sprayer and put it in my basic degreaser and do a couple pump sprays until degreaser comes out. It has saved me from replacing sprayer heads so often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Mixing chemicals at home is very dangerous and I don't think anyone on this forum would recommend it. The only ingredient that you should add to a chemical compound is water in order to adjust the pH. The only other mixing of solutions should be for a perfect Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Margarita or Mojito.
    I've been in the wholesale jan san / packaging business for 30 years and I totally agree with you. I have attended top manufacturers training seminars, 3M, SC Johnson, Spartan Chemical, Beckitt, etc. I'll leave the mixing and blending to the chemists, that's what they are paid to do. I'll decide based upon each individual product if it meets my needs. In our business we call the people who mess with the formulas bath tub chemsits. LOL.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

10. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like good advice. No home chemistry for me. I just didn't know if it was standard praceice or not, for sure it is not. Thanks very much.

12. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    I have never used it straight. I know it expensive. About a month I ago purchased a nano drum from 3D the super citrus.i planned on using it as a tire cleaner but after playing around with it I am going to use as interior apc. It would probably be equal or less than purchasing d-lim. D-Lim is also contained in the product. The nano drum tech that 3D came up with is pretty unique. When I fill up my 32oz trigger spray I add the super citrus product with a couple 5ml eye droppers into the 32 Oz and it does what it says. If you do purchase try contacting the company for information on surface it can damage. It might be dangerous to you if mixed with another chemical or ruin certain surfaces on a car. I like to use products off category but degreaser and apc have a lot of big boy chemicals in them already. A lot of risk involved what are you looking to use you mix for? The extent of my chemical mixing is that I became sick of replacing trigger sprayers when using while megs acid based wheel brightener so after I use it I unscrew the sprayer and put it in my basic degreaser and do a couple pump sprays until degreaser comes out. It has saved me from replacing sprayer heads so often.
    How are you liking the super citrus? It had me worried with 10-13% sodium hydroxide but the pH is only 12 so there must be clever chemistry going on that I don't understand. This is also before you dilute it I think.

I've been meaning to try the super presoak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    How are you liking the super citrus? It had me worried with 10-13% sodium hydroxide but the pH is only 12 so there must be clever chemistry going on that I don't understand. This is also before you dilute it I think.

I've been meaning to try the super presoak.
    I like it a lot it suppose to equal a normal 5 gallons of products. It’s a great bargain it is low foam.

15. Thanks DetailZeus thanked for this post