autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Assistance with Configuring a Portable Water Tank Setup for Pressure Washer

Hey all,

New here but not new to detailing. I've been heavily into detailing as a side hobby/ addiction for the past decade or so and have lurked here for quite some time, but have an interesting setup I'd like to configure for my house that it doesn't seem 100% clear what to go with for my needs.

Basically I am looking to setup a 30 gallon or so sized water tank in my side yard that I can fill with distilled water to use as a water source for my sun joe SPX3001 electric pressure washer. I am fully aware that the pressure washer is not self priming and I would to have a transfer pump connected in-line between the tank and pressure washer hose inlet in order to make all this work, but am having trouble determining exactly what pump I need to make this work as a seamless setup that can be used whenever I want without bothering the neighbors.

My goals for the setup are as follows:

-Tank will be stored year-round outside with quick connects and a valve so I can quickly connect and disconnect the pump to the pressure washer as needed within 30 seconds or so

-Looking for a pump that is quiet and can be used for hours at a time that only cycles when needed (pressure washer has TSS system) so it isn't continuously cycling for hours on end

-I need a pump that is powerful enough to flow at 2 gpm, but more importantly can flow water to the pressure washer which is about 50ft away since I'll be using it in the garage late at night.

-Would prefer a wall outlet style pump so that all I need is to run an extension cord to power it when needed.

-Would like to keep the total cost to around $2-300 or so which I feel should be relatively doable

Other than that, I feel this is a pretty basic setup, I'm just stuck trying to figure out what to buy! Lol.

Can some of you more experienced guys recommend a pump and tank that I should purchase given the needs? Anything else I should know would be appreciated! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistance with Configuring a Portable Water Tank Setup for Pressure Washer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Already have one but appreciate the suggestion. The proposed setup above will be used to fulfill a different purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

may not need a pump - YouTube
    this one shows my 55 gallon barrel with an external pump (just to be on safe side) YouTube
    RYOBI 1600 UNIT YouTube
    KARCHER UNIT YouTube
    GAS HONDA UNIT YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1cFKI_ahA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agruCX9mlWQ

Post Thanks / Like

This may be a good pump I have on wish list for a backup unit (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V9RBYR...v_ov_lig_dp_it).....
    I currently run this pump (55 gallon barrel video) https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9074_200249074 but you have to wire a plug to it or get someone who can wire it for you and I have an extra for a spare but not yet wired (me being lazy, lol). it's on demand so once water fills hose it stops then you pull trigger on gun it starts up again

6. Thanks thegenius46m thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post
    This may be a good pump I have on wish list for a backup unit (Amazon.com : SEAFLO 110V 3.3 GPM 45 PSI Water Diaphragm Pressure Pump - 4 Year Warranty!!! : Sports & Outdoors).....
    I currently run this pump (55 gallon barrel video) https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9074_200249074 but you have to wire a plug to it or get someone who can wire it for you and I have an extra for a spare but not yet wired (me being lazy, lol). it's on demand so once water fills hose it stops then you pull trigger on gun it starts up again
    Will look into that! Any recommendations on where to buy a 30gal water tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on this pump btw? Saw it recommended in another thread

5.0 GPM Washdown Pump Kit - SeaFresh Marine - An Authorized SEAFLO Dealer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So it looks like a lot of these seaflo and surflo pumps use 1/2" fittings where a standard garden hose is 3/4. Does anyone recommend any quality adapter fittings that don't leak? Preferably stainless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegenius46m View Post
    So it looks like a lot of these seaflo and surflo pumps use 1/2" fittings where a standard garden hose is 3/4. Does anyone recommend any quality adapter fittings that don't leak? Preferably stainless.
    You need to goto a hardware store and figure out what fits what....i remember it was a pain since all of them are different fittings

Make sure you get and “on demand” pump that will only run when the pressure drops

David

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there converters our that will adapt the two lead power and ground terminals to a wall plug input? Since this will be a portable setup I want a quick way to connect it when needed.