autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

comparing Rupes new BigFoot LHR 19E rotary to the Flex PE14-2 rotary king of kings

I just read Mike's recent review of the new Rupes bigfoot LHR 19E rotary and I was impressed with the machine.

Problem is I previously decided on the Flex PE14-2, but fortunately have not bought it yet.

Directly comparing the two I can't see significant differences between them except for the RPM ranges - 450-1700 for Rupes and 600-2100 for the Flex. Since I haven't used any rotary yet I'm wondering if the Rupes represents an "overshoot", so to speak, in exploiting the trend for lower rpms in new rotary models for car paint polishing. I say this because I've seen it before in other product markets - some manufacturer takes a trend too far and ends up with a black sheep product before industry realizes it took a concept to far then abandons the stupid feature/product and returns to making a proper product.

In Mike's review though he supports the ultra-low 450 rpm feature. Unfortunately this has put this question in my mind about which range of rpms is better after taking all into consideration. So it looks to me like the two models are otherwise practically identical, complicating the buy decision. If I could fondle or try running each model I belive the decision might be easy but since I can't do that I just gotta pick one.

The way my brain works I don't like choosing between identically good products. On the other hand I like Flex products based on my 3401 forced DA, the quality is outstanding. But the quality and design of the Rupes appears to be identically outstanding. I also prefer to avoid first release products of any kind, but given Rupes' reputation the Rupes might be a reasonable risk purchase. Unfortunately all this makes me a little crazy because I like to have clear winners for decisions. The last thing you want is going crazy detailing someone's car. Ha !

How might you guys approach this decision if you were in my shoes ? And though it's probably a long shot, if anyone owns both or has used both I'd sure like to hear your thoughts.

If Mike was forced to make the choice himself he may not be able to write about it because they're both great machines and Autogeek sells both.

Maybe this is a case of it doesn't really matter - just flip a coin. I don't like to flip a coin when dropping a whole lot of coins.

Or maybe it's a brand-loyal decision versus a best of breed decision.

I'm not committed to either philosophy because I practice both buying philosophies myself in other areas.

Any thoughts much appreaciated. And if it helps any I'm an "experienced newbie". I haven't heard that classification yet but I think that's where I'm "at" more or less.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: comparing Rupes new BigFoot LHR 19E rotary to the Flex PE14-2 rotary king of kings

Here is a review I did on the Rupes

Rupes LH19E Rotary review

I have both the Flex and the Rupes rotaries. Both are awesome machines and you certainly can’t go wrong with either.

The 450 Rpm range is certainly legit.

I hate the Long cord on the Rupes and that’s my only issue with it. It can be cut and shortened.....ask me how I know. Lol. The trigger on the Rupes is amazing and gives you infinite control.

It would be tough to make a decision but personally I would choose the Rupes for automotive. Perhaps if I was doing automotive with occasional boat or RV buffing I would choose the Flex.

Check the specs out on both. Maybe one has an option or options you like better. Both are indeed great tools and you will NOT regret either choice.
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Re: comparing Rupes new BigFoot LHR 19E rotary to the Flex PE14-2 rotary king of kings

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post

I just read Mike's recent review of the new Rupes bigfoot LHR 19E rotary and I was impressed with the machine.
    For everyone, lurkers and forum members that will read this review into the future, here's the link to my review.

Review: RUPES BigFoot LHR 19E Rotary Polisher by Mike Phillips at Autogeek

If Mike was forced to make the choice himself he may not be able to write about it because they're both great machines and Autogeek sells both.

Here's the deal, I just obtained the RUPES RP a couple of weeks ago, right before we buffed out an aluminum Grumman Van.

Pics & Vids: Grumman Aluminum Van Extreme Makeover!

So I have not put hundreds of hours behind the machine yet to be able to make a valid comparison. I HAVE put hundreds, if not thousands of hours behind the FLEX PE14 so I do have a VERY valid opinion of it. I've been using it since it was introduced, in fact FLEX gave me the #2 production unit which is about 4 feet away from me on a shelf with all my other low production tools or beta tools.

Boat Detailing
    Tell you what... the really hard buffing for a rotary is when you're buffing out neglected boats, both removing sanding marks or just removing oxidation and I've done a lot of both with the FLEX PE 14 and it can take it.

Above pics from the ONLY wetsand, cut and buff gel-coat wetsanding project completely documented on the Internet here,

Pictures: 1960 Glastron - Wetsand, Cut & Buff at AutogeekOnline.com

So if the RUPES can take that kind of torture then it's a contender. If it can't then I'll have to give the edge to the FLEX PE14 but only time will tell, which means I have some hours to invest into the RUPES RP.

4. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, I look forward to hear more about the 19E as you're able work more hours with it. Dr Oldz, that is great information, after reading your take on the Rupes I like it better than before. I have noticed a significant difference between them but I don't know enough to make a judgement, and that is the difference in gearing design between them. I don't know much about gearing technology so I haven't a clue regarding any tradeoffs between the two designs. But my guess would be that the Flex might be stronger such as in Mike's boat jobs, with the ring gear. A worm gear running on top of a ring gear seems like a good situation for handling torque, but I don't really know. If any of you guys have knowlege about gearing design that could be significant.

Post Thanks / Like

any reason the L3403 doesn't get as much love as the PE14 or seemingly even the Rupes? Looks like a nice lightweight alternative.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post

any reason the L3403 doesn't get as much love as the PE14 or seemingly even the Rupes? Looks like a nice lightweight alternative.
    I think it was mentioned above but the lowest RPM option is 1100 RPM

Could just be personal preference, but I usually buff from 400RPM to 1100RPM so I prefer the PE14 and now the RUPES rotary polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

If I go with the Rupes rotary at 600 rpm at low, vs 450 rpm at low for the pe14, will I miss that 150 rpm slower speed difference or wish I had that low range available ?

Can you use a shallow trigger press on the Rupes at the lowest setting to get down to 400 rpm ?

Post Thanks / Like

If I go with the Rupes rotary at 600 rpm at low, vs 450 rpm at low for the pe14, will I miss that 150 rpm slower speed difference or wish I had that low range available ?

Can you use a shallow trigger press on the Rupes at the lowest setting to get down to 400 rpm ?
    You have them reversed:

Rupes=450RPM
    Flex=600RPM
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a rotary to polish around emblems and small tight spots only. Which one would be better for this situation?

I have the Griots G3 with 1 &2 in backing plates and extensions, but I'm scared I will still do some damage with the oscillation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    I'm looking for a rotary to polish around emblems and small tight spots only. Which one would be better for this situation?

I have the Griots G3 with 1 &2 in backing plates and extensions, but I'm scared I will still do some damage with the oscillation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Flex PE-8 mini rotary

12. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast