autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: comparing Rupes new BigFoot LHR 19E rotary to the Flex PE14-2 rotary king of kings

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    To me yes the lower RPMs matter. For you learning on 450 is better than 600. When buffing edges or high spots, I like to take it easy so being able to keep the triggerlock on and work at 450 is valuable to me. The Flex will go lower than 600 if you throttle the trigger but the trigger isn’t as precise or comfortable as the Rupes. Jeweling I do like to do at the 450 RPM range if the paint reacts to it well. Sometimes I will bump it up to 600 or maybe 750 but having the option to go to 450 is great.

Just so you are aware the 450/600 speeds are on the trigger lock. Both machines go slower but I like to work with the trigger lock ON As much as possible so I con concentrate on what I am doing. Make sense??

To add: the lower RPM doesn’t matter to me when using smaller 2 or 3 inch pads as you will want higher RPMs for those but when getting to 5 inch or bigger pads it matters to me personally!
    Thank you for this information, but why does a smaller pad require a higher RPM? I was under the impression that it is the opposite, or is that only for DA polishers? I noticed the Flex Kompact has a minimum of 1300RPM I believe and I always wondered but it was set so high.

This is a new world to me and I want to make sure I get all of the information possible before I delve in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: comparing Rupes new BigFoot LHR 19E rotary to the Flex PE14-2 rotary king of kings

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Thank you for this information, but why does a smaller pad require a higher RPM? I was under the impression that it is the opposite, or is that only for DA polishers? I noticed the Flex Kompact has a minimum of 1300RPM I believe and I always wondered but it was set so high.

This is a new world to me and I want to make sure I get all of the information possible before I delve in.

Easiest way to put it: take the outside diameter of the pad and lay it flat in a straight line. The outside diameter of a smaller pad travels less distance than a larger pad per revolution. This higher revolutions are needed to do the same work as a larger pad. Make sense?
    Jim

3. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure but think it's with a smaller pad on a DA you get the free spinning part to spinning faster since you have less of area to getting to rotate on a smaller vs bigger pad. And with a fixed rotation on a rotary and direct driven DA polisher you need faster rotations to get a smaller pad spinning on the outer edge like it does with a bigger pad. Then it's a different math when getting into the direct driven DA polishers and difference between the stroke lengths. There you have the OPM that is noted to get a feel of the speed on them.

5. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Easiest way to put it: take the outside diameter of the pad and lay it flat in a straight line. The outside diameter of a smaller pad travels less distance than a larger pad per revolution. This higher revolutions are needed to do the same work as a larger pad. Make sense?
    Thank you! I was thinking of it as torque to tires. Larger tires require more torque to move than smaller tires, but I understand what you are saying thank you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123