autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please chime in on CarPro Gliss v2...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    That's a very good idea brother! Do you mind sharing the steps? Wash, mechanical decon, top up?
    Wash, Iron X, Mechanical Decon, 2 coats of Reload (one at that time, one just prior to pick up) or in the case of GYEON customers, CanCoat. Once CarPro has a similar coating-lite, I'll move to that.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevine View Post
    No, it’s because I do good work and the word of mouth gets lots of references to their friends. Funny how they keep coming back. Dumb comment but carry on Mr internet expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad you see the reason why anyone would come back. Then I wonder what the point of your passive comment was?? Funny that you're the one that told people to chill.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I see no reason why you would lesson the life of Cquartz. If anything it may last longer with the sacrificial layer over top of it. Part of my spring clean up packages for my previous coating customers is to lighly nano-mitt the vehicle and revitalize the coatings and even my Gliss/Skin vehicles come back to new once fully decontaminated.
    Are you seeing 2 years from your routine then or have you not had the Essence + Cquartz for that long yet?
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    Are you seeing 2 years from your routine then or have you not had the Essence + Cquartz for that long yet?
    I personally saw 1.5yrs on my Audi when it was done with McKee's 37 and our Minivan nearly 2yrs worth running the same. Otherwise, I'm personally on 13 months and 17k miles with GYEON Syncro on my wife's car and it's still sheeting and exhibiting crazy water behavior. Several of my customers are seeing the same from Syncro and a couple with Cquartz yes.

My Q50 has been coated with several different products as it's been my test mule for many reason which is likely the same as many detailers here do I'm sure. That said I can't say personally on my own vehicles that's been my experience with Cquartz but again, I do know my customers well and seen it go very strong with them.

The key IMO to making a coating last is in how it's cared for day-forward including how it's "spring" cleaning is done. Being in my area we see lots of salt through even the slightest snowfalls. Welcome to Ohio right? Keeping coatings going strong means keeping them from being totally abused. By that I mean if you coated a car and let it go all winter without much in the way of a solid safe washing or if you ran it through tunnel washes and wore the coating down, you'll likely see less performance and more wear on it.

If on the other hand you are like me with my wifes car and keep it clean on a regular basis even in the winter, a light refresh is all that's needed to keep it going strong. Same goes for McKee's. In that line the only concern with their v1 was it wasn't quite as durable on the sides for some reason but that's only what I saw from posters here. I kept our van very clean and it was fantastic right up until we sold it about 1 year ago.

Here's a shot of my Audi Wearing McKee's 37 v2

Here's a shot of our van with 19 months on the coating. Again, McKee's but this is v1 of their product
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Likes conman1395 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some feedback on Gliss V1 and Gliss V2. V2 is slicker than V1. Dare I say close to Gyeon Skin. The use of it and working times are the same. I will see how they compare in the long term and if they differ in water behavior.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a very good experience with UK 3.0 topped with Gliss V2. The water behavior is noticeably better than the only other coating I've tried (Glosscoat). Very slick, very hydrophobic, great self-cleaning. I have only been topping with ECH2O as a drying aid. Would definitely recommend Gliss V2 based on my first month since application. We will see how it holds up.

Post Thanks / Like

So between Sunday and Monday I got to apply this to my wife's car. I went for good synergy and used Essence + UK 3.0 + Gliss V2 (thanks again BudgetPlan1 for sending me your leftover coatings).

Here are my thoughts on each of the products (my first time using them).

Essence: What a pleasure to use. Very easy to spread, work, and remove. Wipes off so easily. If overworked it dusts a tiny bit but overall no dusting. I used a white polishing pad and that was a single step polish. Thought about doing something with more bite and then using Essence with finishing pad but perfection was not the goal for this car.

UK 3.0: It's noticeably more grabby than Mohs from the Syncro kit I used on my car. Not difficult to apply but not as easy/smooth as Mohs. Gotta play around a bit to find he right time to wipe off as too early it smears and too late it seems really tacky.

Gliss V2: Super easy to spread and wipe away after the white hazing. If area is bright it's hard to see it (at least on blue car) but in the right angle you can see where the product is. Flashed faster than UK and overall I'd say as simple to apply as Skin from Gyeon. Only small issue I had was the first towel would pick up most of the excess but second towel was super static. They say Gliss is anti-static but at least during application it made it super static on the final wipe off. I could see stuff in the air getting brought to the car. Didn't experience that at all with UK. Towel in use was Gyeon Bald Wipe. The nice thing about Gliss is that you can easily tell where you've applied it or not based on how the towel drags. Much slicker than UK by itself.

Let's see how they do over the next year (when her lease will be up). I hope it's well protected until then so maintenance is easier for me
    Bruno Soares

10. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it interesting how people are stating they get 1.5 to 2 yrs out of a product when they really aren't? If your continuedly applying products on top to "maintain" the coating then how do you really know its lasting you 2 yrs? NOBODY I know that has put a "coating" on their car leaves it alone for 2 yrs straight.

I am not sure of Gliss 2.0 but OG version was a Carbon based polymer coating. I much prefer these types of coatings instead of SiO2 based mainly due to water spotting issues. Through my experience and personal testing on my Shadow Blue MK6 GTI water spots with Si02 products were horrendous and offered very little protection from them. Who gives a crap about water contact angles and detergent resistance if your paint is ruined by water spots?

I have found a good combo using a polyamino silicone based wax topped with products like bead maker and or Aquawax from DG. I have recently began topping with carbon based polymer products like Gliss simply because they hold up to water spots so much better.

I realize Si02's is the new fad, and I will not argue they look super shiny, maybe even too shiny (looks like a toy car fake shine at times) we forget the basics. For one, not everyone has the time to spend 3 days getting their car prepped, and applied with an Si02 based coating. Two, many polyamino silicone wax's out there are much easier to use, less prep work and will protect equally plus not have the water spot problems. Granted the PAW (PolyAmino Silicone Wax) needs to be applied more often, but aren't you doing the same thing anyway with all the toppers your putting ontop of your coating anyway?

I liked Gliss for its ease of use and can actually be used as a stand alone product on its own. It is easy to apply, less prone to water spotting, and for some reason when its topped on top of Si02 it spots, on top of a wax it doesn't? I find that so strange.

Only downside to Gliss is the smell. Very strong so use in a well ventilated area and maybe even wear a mask. Would be really nice if CarPro would come out with a VOC free product line for those more sensitive to these chemicals.

These claims are made by myself, in my experience living in the SoCal Desert with a dark colored vehicle. Don't really care what other people say or claim because I have seen for my own eyes what works for me. I know Si02 is the king fad right now and allot of people love the stuff. That is great all props to you. I prefer a product that is easy to use, doesn't require HOURS of prep and having to keep my car out of commission for days (cure time up to 7 days).

To each their own. I will give the V2 of Gliss a try though. Just hope it doesn't smell as bad as V1.

Post Thanks / Like

The smell of gliss v2 didn’t stand out at all to me. At no point using that I felt like I should put a mask on. I never used v1.

SiO2 is actually not the marketing hype now. It’s Graphene. They say that takes care of the water spotting that SiO2 had trouble with. But many of the people testing it say it’s not any better and all marketing gimmick.
    Bruno Soares

13. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EppyzMK6 View Post
    I find it interesting how people are stating they get 1.5 to 2 yrs out of a product when they really aren't? If your continuedly applying products on top to "maintain" the coating then how do you really know its lasting you 2 yrs? NOBODY I know that has put a "coating" on their car leaves it alone for 2 yrs straight.
    Let me be the first....

Two Examples:

- My GTI wore McKee's 37 Coating v1 for 24 months with no toppers. Worked great, but the properties were more like a wax than many of the other coatings. After two years I polished it off and applied CanCoat. Don't own the car any more.
    - Oldest Daughter's Mazda3 with CQuartz UK v2. Applied in March of 2018 and it is still going strong, people complement her on how great her car looks all the time when she's at work.

Neither of those vehicles were ever topped. I prefer a low-maintenance work flow. My daughter does the same thing with her car. All she does is keep it washed. Nothing else. She's just not into detailing, but does like the way it looks when clean.

Currently both my wife's car and youngest daughter's cars are wearing CQuartz UK 3.0. Both are at the 17 month point and going strong. I have used Elixr to knock out water spots after a wash a few times on this car. At the time I didn't realize how much "protective" product was in it compared to Ech20. I bought it thinking it was a true QD spray and it turned out to be more like a topper. Before I applied Elixr the first time, both cars were at the 12 month point and looked/behaved as if the coating was brand new.

I've never used toppers until Elixr and that was due to not fully understanding the product. I'm pretty sure the wife's car wore a coat of McKee's 37 coating for at least 18~24 months too, but I can't remember at this point as it was too long ago. I know it was coated, just don't remember what I used or exactly now long it was on the car. I never remove a coating in less than 18 months.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

15. Likes Bruno Soares, TTQ B4U liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345