autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Winter Storage for Products: Options for in the Garage?

Hi All,

Hopefully this is the correct section to post in. If not, please be gentle

So I've read many posts about storing car care products in doors to try and keep them at an optimal temperature range and avoid the wild swings that could lead to products becoming relatively ineffective. I totally agree, but with a baby, my basement storage is now compromised. With that, I'm reaching out to see if folks have other options. I'm not trying to store in a fridge or under a warming light if possible. I have an attached garage, but there's no heat or anything. Your basic cinder block setup. When in season, my stuff is in a cabinet, (which I worry about too in the summer heat). But I was wondering if I could store the products in coolers or something that are also shelved in the garage. I have no clue what sort of temp swings happen inside those things. But I was thinking of wrapping products in some of my old clothes, lining the coolers with something like a cut-up trash bag or something and tossing them in. Any thoughts?

TIA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Storage for Products: Options for in the Garage?

I live in north east Ohio, and had the same concerns last winter, and had the same idea as you to solve the problem. I stored all my chemicals in a cooler. I put a digital thermometer inside, and checked every week or so.

The bad news is that after a couple weeks, the temperature inside the cooler was the same as the ambient temperature in the garage.

The good new is that the lowest temps my garage got to was 28 degrees F, when the temp outside was about -2 F. Attached garage is what I assumed kept the temps relatively high. I did not see any evidence that any of my chemicals were compromised.

I did also do a bit of experimentation, and the temp at the north east corner of my garage, which is near the garage door and away from the house, was 7 - 11 degrees colder than the opposite corner, which is away from the garage door and outside walls. So this year, I am placing the cart I store my stuff on in the "warm" corner, and just to help with a bit extra protection, will be covering it with a blanket.

Hope my experience from last year helps you this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Plumb in 220v and add an electric heater. All in less than $600. Well worth it. Will help you keep temps out of danger zone and help overall. Mine is very well insulated which will change how yours performs if it's not but overall it heats my 24x24 garage just fine and with ease. I keep it 65 or so in the winter just because I'm out there a lot and we are in and out overall it seems. Detail days I lower it to 60 as I get hot easy.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes PaulMys, JoeyRoland82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that blankets and coolers are for RETAINING heat/cold from the inside. These (blankets / coolers) do nothing when you are storing something long-term that does not generate any kind of temperature on its own. Of course, the inside of a cooler will eventually stabilize to ambient temperature (there is nothing to prevent that from happening, it only delays the effect).

If you are relying on blankets and/or coolers and there is nothing providing a warming effect inside, you're likely wasting your time.

A blanket works for humans, because we generate heat and the blanket holds it in ;-)

6. Thanks JoeyRoland82 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How much temperature sensitive product do you own?

I'm a hobbyist, but I feel I have way too many liquids (Compounds, polishes, waxes, spray waxes, dressings, pad conditioners/cleaners...........Thanks AG) than any one man should have for just a hobby.

Still, I can fit all of them into 2 large storage/detail bags and put them in my spare room in the corner come winter time.

They don't take up a whole lot of space IMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Thanks JoeyRoland82 thanked for this post
    Likes JoeyRoland82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Plumb in 220v and add an electric heater. All in less than $600. Well worth it. Will help you keep temps out of danger zone and help overall. Mine is very well insulated which will change how yours performs if it's not but overall it heats my 24x24 garage just fine and with ease. I keep it 65 or so in the winter just because I'm out there a lot and we are in and out overall it seems. Detail days I lower it to 60 as I get hot easy.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Awesome garage, my man!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Just contemplating this myself after moving to cold Temps from Florida. I'm going to store waxes and stuff I probably won't use much in the winter in the basement and keep detail sprays etc handy in the mudroom. I had a bottle of brand new Wolfgang sealant freeze when I moved here and it was never the same became very watery had to pitch it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the advice! I think the coolers were wishful thinking. And while our temps don't usually go below 20 for more than a month, (MD), we've recently had a few frigid winters of late. I actually might use some insulation on the garage doors but ultimately, I don't think that'll be the answer either. That's more just for me when doing oil changes, etc in the winter. And PaulMys, I think you hit it on the head. I actually don't have that many products I could't store in a container in the basement or something. I guess I just really liked the idea of having everything have a permanent home in the garage.

Thanks again all!