autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone else less than impressed with the scratch resistance offered by ceramic coatings?

I always enjoy these type of threads. The people on this forum are on the front line and cutting edge of vehicle detailing and we have to keep the records straight and call it like we see it. Manufacturers are out to make a profit so they may exaggerate their claims, but those who step over the line don’t stay in business for long. It’s up to us to test products and give honest reviews. Honesty makes manufacturers improve their products, that and competition.

Coatings are very good and are getting better every year, but nothing will ever be scratch proof. You can scratch a diamond.

2. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone else less than impressed with the scratch resistance offered by ceramic coatings?

rimccarty2000... I completely agree. That is what I am getting at by starting this thread topic. At first, I was unsure if it was just me or if there was a more wide-spread consensus as to the "scratch resistance" claims of coating manufacturers.

I still think (as do most of us) that ceramic coatings have much to offer the average consumer. It does frustrate though when their marketing claims cause the installer to have to "let the customer down" as they try and explain that its not quite what they thought.

I am kind of walking a thin line here. Like I said, today's ceramic coatings do seem to offer significantly more protection and enhancement to a vehicles appearance. Much more so than conventional waxes and/or sealants. So, they do deserve some credit for their technological developments.
    I just wish they would resist the temptation to over-hype product performance in an effort to beat out the competition. There seems to be little regard for credibility when it comes to marketing. Get the buck...no matter what seems to be the overriding motive.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else less than impressed with the scratch resistance offered by ceramic coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Pilot View Post
    Like I said, today's ceramic coatings do seem to offer significantly more protection and enhancement to a vehicles appearance. Much more so than conventional waxes and/or sealants.
    Significantly more? Can you be specific?

-Can’t hide swirls
    -Can’t protect against them either

-At least a good sealant can do 1 of the 2.Anyone else less than impressed with the scratch resistance offered by ceramic coatings?

Post Thanks / Like

Eldorado2k, The "significantly more" I was referring to was that ceramic coatings, when properly installed, can last for years as opposed to waxes and sealants which typically last a matter of weeks to a couple of months at best.

I agree they cant hide swirls, but they were never designed to nor have I seen any claims of their ability to hide any defects. That is why the paint correction process is so important prior to applying the coating.
    Like I have previously said, I do think ceramic coatings offer many customers a certain value. I just think their ability to resist even light scratching/marring is very disappointing to detailers and customers alike.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never understood why coating manufacturers even bother with hardness claims and wondered how it came to be. When you apply a coating, the product that remains is extreamely thin and I can't imagine any product that thin being able to stand up to the forces which could scratches/swirls. For those reasons alone I've ignored the hardness claims completely when shopping for coatings.

I will say I really like coatings and will probably never go back to sealants. My vehicles need far less maintenance to keep them clean and looking nice. They do actually have fewer swirls over time than a comparably sealed vehicle, BUT I do not attribute that to any hardness of the coating. The coating simply makes grime easier to remove and my wash media glides over the surface much easier which leads to less potential opportunities for marring.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes MikeC78, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's all based on the coating that you're using. I've never seen these issue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I was somewhat disappointed in scratch resistance. Happy with the shine, just doesn't seem to hold up any better than a good sealant. Especially with all the maintenance sprays, washes etc that are required.

Post Thanks / Like

mmhammer, interesting viewpoint regarding durability of shine in your experience. The more I read these responses, the more skeptical I am becoming with regard to ceramic coatings. At the moment, I am still convinced that they are the most durable when compared to other "conventional" paint protection (waxes/sealants).
    I am increasingly surprised at the number of experienced detailing professionals and consumers who have posted their disappointments and concerns as well with the promise of ceramic coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I will add on is that the coatings I have used and tested have all done pretty well with the typical wash induced marring. Also the better self cleaning effect and the ease of cleaning. Not to mention that I don't have to constantly worry about putting a layer of wax or sealant every few months which is a time saver for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmhammer View Post
    Happy with the shine, just doesn't seem to hold up any better than a good sealant. Especially with all the maintenance sprays, washes etc that are required.
    I agree that some coatings are hit or miss. The ones that are a miss are not any better than a sealant. As far as the maintenance sprays, washes that you mentioned are recommended but not required. It is all personal preference. I am not a spray sealant user and don't really top the coating on personal cars unless it is for testing purposes. Why? Because they take away the base layers behavior and better water behavior.

Budget and I sure seem to have fun trading messages back and forth on the likes of coatings and what we experience with the same coatings.

12. Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    One thing that I will add on is that the coatings I have used and tested have all done pretty well with the typical wash induced marring. Also the better self cleaning effect and the ease of cleaning. Not to mention that I don't have to constantly worry about putting a layer of wax or sealant every few months which is a time saver for me.

I agree that some coatings are hit or miss. The ones that are a miss are not any better than a sealant. As far as the maintenance sprays, washes that you mentioned are recommended but not required. It is all personal preference. I am not a spray sealant user and don't really top the coating on personal cars unless it is for testing purposes. Why? Because they take away the base layers behavior and better water behavior.

Budget and I sure seem to have fun trading messages back and forth on the likes of coatings and what we experience with the same coatings.
    Always good to have someone else to compare notes/experiences with.

14. Likes The Guz liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast