autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Multi-step process / how does this sound?

I'm looking for feedback on what your thoughts are in regards to this multi-step process on my '11 Ram Sport 4WD Reg. Cab with 5.7L HEMI. The truck just ticked over 50K miles on the odometer. My commute is relatively short & we do not drive it on the weekends. We use my wife's car for errands since the gas mileage is better. I've always taken excellent care for it, but have never done a true multi-step process. Additionally, I just acquired my Griots GG6 and am interested in breaking it in. Do these steps / process look OK? I have most of this product thus far, but need to purchase the backing plates and pads for my GG6. For the AIO / correction, I'm going to utilize LC's white foam polishing pad and for the sealant and final coat wax, I'd be using their black foam pad.

• McKee's Iron Remover for decontamination + Griot's glass polish system.
    • 2-bucket wash system using Chemical Guys Clean Slate to start fresh
    • Meg's D143 for my wheels.
    • Meg's mild clay bar + Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine for clay lube.
    • Wash / re-rinse after clay.
    • (1) coat of McKee's 360 for AIO / correction
    • (1) coat of McKee's Hi-Def Paint Sealant
    • (1) coat McKee's Trademark Poli-Coat Wax
    • Optimum Spray Wax for UV protection and to finish exterior
    • Solution Finish for trim / plastic
    • Folex for interior carpet
    • McKee's tire gloss gel

For monthly maintenance, I'd essentially use the standard 2-bucket wash system or simply foam or utilize a rinseless wash and then AIO and done.
    Does this look accurate for a true multi-step wash / wax process?
    - Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multi-step process / how does this sound?

No need to stack all those forms of protection. If you are using the AIO then you can use one of them but not all of them. You more than likely don't need to use the AIO monthly. You can use a spray wax or leave it as is. Completely up to you.

3. Thanks PSYS thanked for this post
    Likes PSYS, dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PSYS View Post

I'm looking for feedback on what your thoughts are in regards to this multi-step process on my '11 Ram Sport 4WD Reg. Cab with 5.7L HEMI.

The truck just ticked over 50K miles on the odometer. My commute is relatively short & we do not drive it on the weekends. We use my wife's car for errands since the gas mileage is better. I've always taken excellent care for it, but have never done a true multi-step process.

Additionally, I just acquired my Griots GG6 and am interested in breaking it in. Do these steps / process look OK? I have most of this product thus far, but need to purchase the backing plates and pads for my GG6. For the AIO / correction, I'm going to utilize LC's white foam polishing pad and for the sealant and final coat wax, I'd be using their black foam pad.

• McKee's Iron Remover for decontamination + Griot's glass polish system.
    • 2-bucket wash system using Chemical Guys Clean Slate to start fresh
    • Meg's D143 for my wheels.
    • Meg's mild clay bar + Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine for clay lube.
    • Wash / re-rinse after clay.
    • (1) coat of McKee's 360 for AIO / correction
    • (1) coat of McKee's Hi-Def Paint Sealant
    • (1) coat McKee's Trademark Poli-Coat Wax
    • Optimum Spray Wax for UV protection and to finish exterior
    • Solution Finish for trim / plastic
    • Folex for interior carpet
    • McKee's tire gloss gel

For monthly maintenance, I'd essentially use the standard 2-bucket wash system or simply foam or utilize a rinseless wash and then AIO and done.
    Does this look accurate for a true multi-step wash / wax process?

I'm lazy so I try to figure out how to get great results with less step. If you look at the majority of car detailing write-ups you never see me using the 2-bucket method. Why? Because I don't feel the need for the extra scratch/safety precaution if I'm already planning on buffing out the paint. I'm still careful but I save the 2-bucket method for AFTER I've buffed out the paint, not before.

Make sense?

Example

I washed this car on Monday to prep it for buffing. Note only one bucket.

Review: Pinnacle Crystal Si02 Spray

From your list, here's how I would approach and the order

First do anything that will get the car dirty - glass polishing, headlights engine
    [*] Griot's glass polish system

second do wheels and tires first
    [*] Meg's D143 for my wheels.

Then chemically decontaminate paint
    [*] McKee's Iron Remover for decontamination

Then wash car - you can blast off the iron remover first if you choose, I usually don't, I just foam over and GO!
    [*]2-bucket wash system using Chemical Guys Clean Slate to start fresh

Next mechanically decontaminate I use foam gun for lube after first wash and rinse
    [*]Meg's mild clay bar + Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine for clay lube.[*]Wash / re-rinse after clay.

Dry car

Machine apply McKee's 360
    [*](1) coat of McKee's 360 for AIO / correction

Top with only one of the below
    [*](1) coat of McKee's Hi-Def Paint Sealant[*](1) coat McKee's Trademark Poli-Coat Wax

Use OSW as a maintenance product on hood, roof and top of truck bed side walls - horizontal surfaces, clean first with spray detailer
    [*]Optimum Spray Wax for UV protection and to finish exterior

[*]Solution Finish for trim / plastic[*]Folex for interior carpet[*]McKee's tire gloss gel

That's what I would do.

5. Thanks PSYS thanked for this post
    Likes PSYS, LSNAutoDetailing, custmsprty, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are awesome, as always.... thanks Guz & Mike!
    - Scott.

7. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Multi-step process / how does this sound?

Quote Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
    [*](1) coat of McKee's 360 for AIO / correction[*](1) coat of McKee's Hi-Def Paint Sealant[*](1) coat McKee's Trademark Poli-Coat Wax[*]Optimum Spray Wax for UV protection and to finish exterior
    I know how it is to be excited to begin the process on your own vehicle.. Since you said the word “correction”, the 1 thing you’re going to want to make sure to do is knock it all the way out [to your hearts content] on the 1st try. Meaning you’re not going to feel good if you finish all those steps only to find yourself looking at your paint a couple of weeks later wishing you had gotten all the swirls out [or at least diminished them a bit further]
    Keep in mind AIO’s do a little bit of filling*

I say this because I don’t know what your paint currently looks like.. If it truly is only minor swirls you’re dealing with, then the AIO should suffice, but if we’re talking about years of improper washing and the swirls are more moderate/heavy, then it could call for a dedicated polish or maybe even a compound as the 1st step in place of the AIO. I think that’s the most important piece of advice I can give you based on my own experience.

... Now as far as those steps in your post. If it was me, and I had all those products in mind, I would:
    *Replace the AIO with a dedicated polish or compound [if needed] Mainly because I believe in using AIO’s as they were intended, not topping them and interfering and mixing 2 forms of protection because IME it simply diminishes the results of both of them.

*Use the sealant.

*Don’t use the wax until after the 2nd bucket wash [2 weeks or so after the sealant has been on the paint standing alone]

*Don’t start using the spray wax until the 2nd bucket wash/2 weeks after the Poli Wax has been applied. Once you start using the spray wax, use it after every wash because it’ll more than likely be the only thing protecting your paint once you begin using it. Some people may disagree, but I just give advice based on what I’ve seen with my own eyes.Multi-step process / how does this sound?

Good luck, and have fun.Multi-step process / how does this sound?Multi-step process / how does this sound?

9. Thanks PSYS, dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a good plan... OK. I'll utilize the sealant and let it marinate (haha) for a couple of weeks. Then re-wash with a regular foam wash (not the Clean Slate) and then apply the wax. I'll also re-evaluate the swirls. I do not think there is anything major, but I've only waxed by hand and have not utilized a proper DA with the proper pads. I know for a fact there are swirls and I'm also the 2nd owner of the truck, but have owned it the majority of the time. Regardless, I'll do a test spot with the AIO and if the results I'm wanting to achieve are not being done - I'll incorporate the use of a dedicated polish and/or compound, if need be. I appreciate you bringing that up as I had not thought about that possibility.

My thought process of the spray wax is the Optimum boasts about a specific UV protectant. I'm in Arizona (outside of Phoenix / West Valley) so this is terribly important to me. The fact that the product supposedly lasts several months is one of the reasons why I'm so interested in utilizing it. I have covered parking at work, but my wife's car gets the garage at home so my truck is outside the remainder of that time.
    - Scott.

11. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The more often you use that Optimum spray wax the better. It doesn’t last super long so would definitely use it every couple weeks or after every wash or two depending on how often you wash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes PSYS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    The more often you use that Optimum spray wax the better. It doesn’t last super long so would definitely use it every couple weeks or after every wash or two depending on how often you wash
    Thanks for the heads up, Matt! Will do!
    - Scott.