autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contaminants on ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Mine gets contaminates down low. Limestone dust mixed with road salt, dirt and snow or rain. It’s quite a slurry if bonding. Good times.

Our neighborhood is new too so there is constant dirt and dust there too. The street sweeper comes by about once a week but still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So you’re saying that doesn’t come clean when you wash the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    So you’re saying that doesn’t come clean when you wash the car?
    My lower portions of my car also become very contaminated after a winter. Especially one that’s particularly moist.

But I just attribute that to all that crap getting kicked up onto my car and just not being able to (or willing to) go out and regularly wash it. There’s weeks at a time when it’s disgusting out and the roads are covered in all kinds of disgustingness. Even once the snow is melted and it’s sunny out, I’m usually not willing to go out there and do a rinseless wash when it’s <15 degrees outside and the wind is whipping.

I actually use tarx and wipe down the lower portions of my car after the winter and nothing ever really comes off. Not even tar - which always surprises me. Even the inner lip of my wheel well is perfectly free of tar.

I really think it just comes down to location. Where you live you can basically live off waterless washing alone. This year in MD we got something like 65 inches of rain? We broke like nearly every rain fall record like 3 months ago. It was basically a tropical climate this summer. I didn’t even like doing rinselesss because of all the mud and debris that kept getting kicked up all over my car. So I washed it even less than I normally would, which means it probably wouldn’t even pass the baggie test now (just an assumption.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    My lower portions of my car also become very contaminated after a winter. Especially one that’s particularly moist.

But I just attribute that to all that crap getting kicked up onto my car and just not being able to (or willing to) go out and regularly wash it. There’s weeks at a time when it’s disgusting out and the roads are covered in all kinds of disgustingness. Even once the snow is melted and it’s sunny out, I’m usually not willing to go out there and do a rinseless wash when it’s <15 degrees outside and the wind is whipping.

Yep same here. I've used a few coatings (currently mckees 37 v2) and that's always the case for me as well. You can get it 'clean' but it's still contaminated and has a film that builds over the course of a long winter. Tar X and a light clay help significantly. But even still theres gunk on the lower panels that comes off with a light polish when I do my spring cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post

I actually use tarx and wipe down the lower portions of my car after the winter and nothing ever really comes off. Not even tar - which always surprises me. Even the inner lip of my wheel well is perfectly free of tar.

I really think it just comes down to location. Where you live you can basically live off waterless washing alone. This year in MD we got something like 65 inches of rain? We broke like nearly every rain fall record like 3 months ago. It was basically a tropical climate this summer. I didn’t even like doing rinselesss because of all the mud and debris that kept getting kicked up all over my car. So I washed it even less than I normally would, which means it probably wouldn’t even pass the baggie test now (just an assumption.)

Ok makes sense.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234