autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not your average coating recommendation

So as many of you know I I'm mobile and live in the middle of the hot SoCal desert. Over this past year I've exclusively only offered mobile polishing and coating at an affordable price point and gave up basic detail offerings. Needless to say I've had a much to my surprise very successful year, one of my highest actually.

So to my main point, I have been using McKees paint coating with great success in direct sunlight and high heat (over 100°) and it's been awesome. This upcoming year I want to step it up and offer a higher tier coating, of course again I work outside so that's where youy detailing family comes into play. What coatings have you used that have done well outside in the direct light would you recommend??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not your average coating recommendation

Why not just keep the same one if you're having good luck? IMO, if you'd like to offer a more expensive option, look into the pro versions, such as Carpro or something alike?

3. Thanks Oz_TCH thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm asking, but need experience from others who have had experience in direct sunlight, buying, testing and time are all things I don't have a lot of so spending more time and money to get even more products to see IF they work I'm trying to minimize.if some has used a higher end product and has had success that's what I'm asking

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, sorry... I thought you meant to replace Mckee's. Again, my apologies...

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if you are going to find many that claim to be applied in direct sun. Gloss Coat may be one but I didn't find it that durable or long lasting and I am a couple hours from you. Perhaps something that requires one coat like Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. Cquartz may work as well and you could get by with one solid coat.

Post Thanks / Like

In the heat here in the South CarPro coatings flash very quickly. I avoid applying them in 90+ temps. Humidity matters too though and I have both heat and high humidity. It would be best for you to buy some and test it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps use a pop-up tent to block most of the sun and use a product (mentioned earlier) like Gtechniq's CSL? It's super easy to apply and remove, plus it only requires one layer. Better longevity than something like Carpro as well.

Post Thanks / Like

So there is zero option for a pop up or any shade, it can only be a direct sunlight application. I've tried it all and because of the high desert winds I've had multiple pop ups, even expensive ones with thick tubing bend and snap from the high winds and almost damage brand new 80k cars. So I'm. So im not taking the risk

Post Thanks / Like

@Cruzcarwash Since you apply the coating outdoor, did you ever faced any issue related to dirt getting into applied coating? I am a wax/sealant guy but I stayed away from coatings only because I don't have a garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you seem to have a accepted plan now - I would change ideals.... IF a customer wants a higher end product - you need to explain the issue with doing it in the open - and force them to:
    1) Come to you in your enclosed environment of choice (I assume you have a garage or shop available to do indoor applications)
    2) Have them provide a garage or enclosed space

If you have customers that will see the added value - I assume they would understand the constraints here - also they most likely have more money - and are likely to have a garage you may be able to use.

I'm actually surprised any coating works well in those conditions - but luckily you've found one - stick to it since it works....

12. Likes MikeC78, BadgerRivFan liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast