autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Dryer

Post Thanks / Like

Car Dryer

What does everyone use to dry their car. I have been using a dedicated leaf blower for a couple years but am ready to take the plunge. Possibly with a Metro Blaster 8hp. Not sure about mounting to the garage wall. Or is a free rolling the better route? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Dryer

I use waffle weave towels, blowers, dryers are useless down here in the Floirda sun as they take way too long to dry a vehicle.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a Griots drying towel. You’ll be happy you did.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

The only two drawbacks of leaf blowers are:
    1. that they're a rather large and relatively heavy instrument, and because of that you're always risking hitting the paint with them, and inflicting some physical damage to it, and
    2. that there's also the chance that a leaf blower will suck in something it shouldn't, and throw it at the paint, again, possibly causing damage in it, and also in whatever it sucked in (for ex. parts of your clothing).
    Both of these accidents happening will be virtually impossible if you're using a dedicated car dryer, which has its motor and most of its weight stationary standing, and is equipped with appropriate filters.

However, other than those I see no point in using a dedicate dryer, and honestly, IMO they're so overpriced, that unless you're doing car washing professionally and/or on very expensive vehicles, it just makes no sense to invest into them. Because it's not like they'd be actually better at blowing air than a high performance leaf blower.

Anything that would give you a real advantage over a leaf blower in precision, convenience and minimizing damage risk would be something very, very expensive: a system where you'd have automatically retracting compressed air tubes hanging from the ceiling, and you'd just attach the blower heads to those to go around the car with that. Such a system of course could also be used to drive pneumatic polishers and some other detailing stuff... but as said, such an installation would be very, very expensive, and out of reach even for most professional detailers.

6. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my leaf blower as well to blow off the majority of water, then "mop up" with the Griot's PFM towels.

This works for me here in NY in the spring when I do bucket washes.

In the summer, after I have already applied my LSP, I do rinseless washes 99% of the time.

Like Mark said above, the sun will quickly dry any water onto the car before you can effectively blow dry the vehicle unless you have that perfect cloudy day.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    What does everyone use to dry their car. I have been using a dedicated leaf blower for a couple years but am ready to take the plunge. Possibly with a Metro Blaster 8hp. Not sure about mounting to the garage wall. Or is a free rolling the better route? Thanks
    I have the Metro Blaster 8HP and use it every time I wash. Much more power than my Milwaukee 18v Cordless blowers but those work pretty well. Your paint has to have a sealant/coating/wax on it for this to move water well. I have mine mounted on the wall (needs a 20 amp circuit) right next to the garage door and can get to all sides of my vehicles easily. It has a quality hose. I can get 98% of the water off with this and finish with one 16x16 drying towel for the odd spot. Only way to get water out of the nooks and crannies too. I've tried going back to drying with Griot PFM towels or TRC drying towels but still prefer to blow it off first.

The other great use is if you do a touchless wash. My cars are coated and I top with sealants frequently, so unless it has rained and kicked up a lot of traffic film, a touchless wash (foam cannon and pressure rinse) works pretty darn well for me if I don't have time for a hand wash. No way would I touch my vehicles with a drying towel without a proper wash though, so I use the blower to dry them off.

10. Likes wing commander, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

some good info below, read post #53 / page 6. btw, i had the MB and sold it, it was a pain to drag it around...

Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer - Comparison With Master Blaster And Sidekick

Post Thanks / Like

I have had and used in this order
    Gas Leaf blower
    Ego 56 volt cordless blower
    MAster blaster with 30 ft hose

The gas leaf blower worked great when it would crank but it would get heavy drying roofs of large vehicles etc. Great cfm and drying
    Ego 56v is super convenient with the large battery. I use it on turbo mode almost 100% of the time. Works great on cars same issue for larger roofs etc for tall vehicles.
    Master Blaster wall mounted with 30 ft hose. I can dry my entire Tundra crewmax without taking it off of the wall. I do think it takes a little longer than the gas leaf blower but the hose is much easier to wield for a while. Best at drying cracks, crevices, wheels etc. Very expensive for a 1 use tool but I enjoy using it.
    All 3 of these are good options and I would recommend ear protection.
    Last edited by Daviddear30; 12-02-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    some good info below, read post #53 / page 6. btw, i had the MB and sold it, it was a pain to drag it around...

Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer - Comparison With Master Blaster And Sidekick
    The Mckee's Car Dryer works very good.Definitely gets the job done.

14. Likes VISITOR, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I have my truck coated in Cquartz Uk 3.0 and the wife’s car coated with Polish Angel Viking Coat. The beading and minimal water that remains after the final rinse, maybe the 8hp might be overkill.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast