autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Cleaner hurt CQuartz on wheels?

If I use a strong tire cleaner like Tuf Shine, Amazing Roll Off, Wolfgang, McGuire’s, etc. — for the purpose of a full cleaning to apply Tuf Shine clearcoat — will such remove or weaken the CQuartz coating on the wheels?

i have both the clearcoat and cquartz applied at present, and need a deep clean to reapply the Tuf shine but am worried about the impact on the cquartz on the wheels.

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Cleaner hurt CQuartz on wheels?

FWIW, I cant see a tire cleaner hurting a high quality coating like thatTire Cleaner hurt CQuartz on wheels?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Klasse, but a wheel specific coating (Dlux) would have been my choice.

Post Thanks / Like

To keep the finish going you could use a product like Mckee's Hydro Blue spray on sealant, WetCoat or 303 Touchless sealant to keep the wheels protected, that's what I do. Also I have Sonax wheel shield at my disposal. Think of these as toppers for your wheel coatingTire Cleaner hurt CQuartz on wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

If you’d rather not get the cleaner on the wheels, you could make yourself a cheap disposable protector from a large enough piece of cardboard.

6. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    If you’d rather not get the cleaner on the wheels, you could make yourself a cheap disposable protector from a large enough piece of cardboard.
    I think someone makes an item like this Tire Cleaner hurt CQuartz on wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I think someone makes an item like this Tire Cleaner hurt CQuartz on wheels?

Fill me in, please

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I agree with Klasse, but a wheel specific coating (Dlux) would have been my choice.
    Isn't that more 'trim specific'? I've used Dlux on wheels and calipers with lackluster results in my experience. McKee's makes one specifically for wheels, but I have yet to use it.

McKee's 37 Wheel Coating, wheel wax, wheel sealant, brake dust repellent

Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine. You can always get the wheel a bit wet and any over spray will be diluted a bit. I used Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner with wheels coated with Gyeon Rim, DLUX, Ameriarmour, Gtechniq C5 and had no issues.

Although regular cquartz or cquartz UK holds up just fine as well. Nothing wrong with using it on wheels. As a matter of fact I have used regular paint coatings on wheels with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    Isn't that more 'trim specific'? I've used Dlux on wheels and calipers with lackluster results in my experience. McKee's makes one specifically for wheels, but I have yet to use it.

McKee's 37 Wheel Coating, wheel wax, wheel sealant, brake dust repellent
    DLUX can be used on wheels as well and it does a pretty good job. I got a year out of DLUX before it lost the beading but retained the sheeting aspect. If McKee's is anything like Pinnacle Black Label then it will d pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Whether tire cleaner will "hurt" the ceramic coating depends how much aggressive the cleaner is. Meaning: if it's heavily acidic or heavily alkaline, then it will of course hurt the coating. On the other side, the whole purpose of having a ceramic coating is to have a sacrificial layer to protect the paint against environmental impacts. And a one-time cleaning with a tire cleaner should not hurt the coating in the sense, that it would or could eat it away or something. The effects should be negligible, and even if they wouldn't be, they would just make the surface less hydrophobic, but should not really affect it visually.

That said, I would be less worried about the chemical impact of the cleaning, and more about the abrasive impact of your bush, that you will use to agitate the cleaner. That could and will affect the coating far more, than a one-time application of the cleaner. Then again, if you're doing it with some common sense, this shouldn't mean that now your wheels will look terrible, or that you'll have big and visible defects on it in the coating. The rim part of the wheels is very forgiving anyway, and will hide most defects, and you'll have a hard time spotting any, unless you really, really closely scrutinize it.

12. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast