autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WGDGPS 3.0 or entry level coating?

I've picked up a new-to-me Parisian Gray 2016 Genesis sedan and am getting my plan together for lsp. (whether it's in spring or a warm break this winter)

For a joe schmo that doesn't detail for anyone other than himself (and maybe my wife's car here and there) I have spent WAY too much money on products over the last 4 years and 4 cars (as most of us have, I'm assuming)

I've decon'ed the car, clay/clay mitt, and sealed with WGDGPS to get into and maybe through the winter. This car had some serious ground in dirt and fall out! Paint condition isn't terrible for a 2016 that only saw the tunnel and dealership washes. It has the swirls you'd expect, no RIDS to mention, and only 2 small chips in the front bumper.

As of now I'm thinking Adapt with my Boss correcting pads (foam) will take care of the heavier swirls and the finishing pads will address the lighter areas, for a successful 1 step. (Of course, I'll be testing least aggressive first) I have several more aggressive and a few more refining polishes on hand (like I said, spent way too much for effectively no reason) if necessary, but I don't think either will be necessary due to the characteristics of the color. I believe the end result will be more glass like and pop than richness and depth, regardless of products.

The thing I'm getting hung up on is whether to bite on the coating popularity or to keep using my preferred sealant.

I get an easy 6 months out of WGDGPS with proper washing The one coating I've used previously is Gloss Coat and that lasted about 2 years on horizontal but degraded in under a year on lower vertical panels. All of the research I'm doing suggests similar real world experience from lines like WG Uber, PBL Diamond, and McKee's.

I need to stick with quick easy application - I'm not privy to a sterile environment, curing lamps, finicky wiping or much time away from my two year old helper. I can and typically do a decon and seal twice a year. (even in the second year of gloss coat)

My cars see all of the elements KY has to offer, from blazing sun, to blinding pollen, and the brine covered roads of old man winter.

I guess what I am getting at - have the more experienced hands seen enough benefit from one of the coatings I've mentioned to recommend I jump one one? (like the Uber on sale right now)

I appreciate your feedback!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WGDGPS 3.0 or entry level coating?-20181103_130602-jpg   WGDGPS 3.0 or entry level coating?-20181113_122745-jpg   WGDGPS 3.0 or entry level coating?-sherry-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WGDGPS 3.0 or entry level coating?

I think Uber is too expensive for what it provides to you. McKee's 37 or Gyeon Can Coat I think would be good candidates for what you're describing. Nothing wrong with sticking with WGDGPS either, that's a fantastic sealant and if you don't mind working on the car twice a year, by all means that is easier to apply and IMO gives a nicer, warmer look to the paint. The coatings don't provide that look, it's more of a glassy look.
    Bruno Soares

3. Thanks jamesalanb thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jamesalanb View Post

Hope you don't mind but I edited your post and put some [breaks] in-between sentences to break up your post from one large chunk to smaller bite-size chunks just to make it easier for me to read.

Mike Phillips

All of the research I'm doing suggests similar real world experience from lines like WG Uber, PBL Diamond, and McKee's.

I need to stick with quick easy application

I have not used the latest version of McKee's 37 Paint Coating but the original versions I have used were about as simple or as easy as it gets.

I do use the PBL Paint Coating and Surface Coating on the wife's car and both are super fast and easy to use and as long as you wash your car correctly last easy over one year. I think all of the above claim 2 or more years of longevity but I don't buy into the practice of doing "something" to a car's finish and they trying to go as long as possible before doing "something" again.

6. Thanks jamesalanb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hope you don't mind but I edited your post and put some [breaks] in-between sentences to break up your post from one large chunk to smaller bite-size chunks just to make it easier for me to read.

Don't mind a bit! (Appeared to post pretty clean on my PC)
    Thank you sir!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I have not used the latest version of McKee's 37 Paint Coating but the original versions I have used were about as simple or as easy as it gets.

I do use the PBL Paint Coating and Surface Coating on the wife's car and both are super fast and easy to use and as long as you wash your car correctly last easy over one year. I think all of the above claim 2 or more years of longevity but I don't buy into the practice of doing "something" to a car's finish and they trying to go as long as possible before doing "something" again.

Warm enough weather washes are 2BM with Meg's mitt or Supreme microfiber, DG903.
    Colder washes are rinseless in the garage (pre spray at coin it necessary) with Uber, ONR, or D114 (this one rarely, thanks to it's now unavailable status) depending on how dirty and whether or not I want that extra polymer pop for a day or two.
    Reset 2BM every few months just to start fresh from polymers and road film.

With the wildly different winter conditions my car will see from Stacy's, would you think the vertical panels will endure a year+?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like Duragloss's Enviroshield. I applied it to the hood, roof and back of my 2009 Honda Element over a year ago and it's still going strong. Very easy to apply.
    Mark

10. Thanks jamesalanb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've decon'ed the car, clay/clay mitt,
    and sealed with WGDGPS to get into
    and maybe through the winter.

I get an easy 6 months out of WGDGPS
    with proper washing

I need to stick with quick easy application -
    I'm not privy to a sterile environment,
    curing lamps, finicky wiping or much time
    away from my two year old helper. I can and
    typically do a decon and seal twice a year.

My cars see all of the elements KY has to offer,
    from blazing sun, to blinding pollen, and the
    brine covered roads of old man winter.

I guess what I am getting at - have the more
    experienced hands seen enough benefit from
    one of the coatings I've mentioned to recommend
    I jump one one? (like the Uber on sale right now)
    Taking the above “conditions” into consideration:
    I’ll suggest to go with the WDGPS for now.

•IMO:
    -Wintertime out in the great outdoors—in
    your (and my) locale—is not the ideal time
    to be fiddling around with Coatings.
    -{Buying a Coating at this point probably means
    it will just be laying around til winter is over.}

•Spring of 2019 is not that far off: AGO will
    have additional sales events—Guaranteed!
    -You can jump on one of Coatings at that time,
    if you so desire, without worrying so much
    about what affect(s) laying around has on
    Coatings’ “shelf life”.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Likes jamesalanb, spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Using WGDGS on my M4 of which I top every 8 weeks with McKee’s fast wax all in one for some extra zip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb2ehj View Post
    I like Duragloss's Enviroshield. I applied it to the hood, roof and back of my 2009 Honda Element over a year ago and it's still going strong. Very easy to apply.
    Can you compare duragloss to other coating. I loved all of their sealants and aquawax. I forgot they made a coating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast