autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Diluting chemicals

Hi, I am a DIYer and I heard about how you can take one cleaner concentrate and dilute it to make multiple cleaners. Does anybody know any of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diluting chemicals

I use multiple ones that you can dilute. Meguiars detailer line has several.

Most APCs you can dilute and some dressings

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

•I believe that many of these types
    of cleaning products are known as
    All Purpose Cleaners (APCs).

-Autogeek’s store has quite an
    assortment: Search

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

While most people who've completed a High School math class know, I figured I'd quickly explain how to calculate the amount for diluting a product by ratio, just incase you don't have your handy ratio print out nearby. Yeah, I'm bored and had a few IPAs, who knows, there might be someone out there who relies on the CG dilution ratio chart.

Calculating chemical dilution amounts by ratio:

1) Identify the proper dilution ratio (ex. 3:1, or 10:1) where the second number is the chemical you're diluting, and the first is what you're diluting it with e.g. water

2) Add the two parts of the ratio together, for example: 3:1 would be 3 + 1 = 4 total parts

3) Divide the number 1, by the sum of your addition problem above. For example: 1/4, or 1 divided by 4

4) The quotient should be a decimal (<1), move the decimal point two places to the right for your percentage. Using the above problem, the quotient would be 0.25, or 25%

5) The percentage is the amount of chemical you're diluting that you'll be adding to the container (spray bottle, wash bucket, etc.)

Example:

-I want to mix my all-purpose cleaner (APC) 3:1, that's three parts water, one part APC in my 32oz spray bottle.

3 + 1 = 4
    1 / 4 = 0.25, or 25%

25% of my 32oz spray bottle is 8oz.

I'd add 8oz. of APC, and fill the rest of the bottle (24oz.) with water. Remember, fill up to the measured line, not all the way to the neck of the bottle.

Another example:

I want to mix my all-purpose cleaner (APC) for light-duty interior cleaning, so I'll use 8:1. The higher the first number, the more diluted the chemical.

8 + 1 = 9
    1 / 9 = ~11%

11% of 32oz. = ~3.5oz.

Add 3.5oz. of APC to the spray bottle, followed by 28.5oz. of water, for a dilution ratio of 8:1

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the dilution part, it’s just I’ve heard you can dilute an APC to make a detailing spray or a interior cleaner. I’m just wondering if people know anymore and what the dilution ratio is, I’m new to detailing and I want to start spending less by making my own cleaners and stop paying to ship water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RiPrete View Post
    I understand the dilution part, it’s just I’ve heard you can dilute an APC to make a detailing spray or a interior cleaner. I’m just wondering if people know anymore and what the dilution ratio is, I’m new to detailing and I want to start spending less by making my own cleaners and stop paying to ship water.

Should have clarified, my post wasn't directed at you, just felt like typing it out for the general forum population.

I personally use Optimum Power Clean. I buy it by the gallon.

I dilute it 3:1 to clean wheels (prior to trying Meg's Wheel Brightener), 3:1 also makes for a great bug-removal product. Spray on the front bumper, wait a few minutes, agitate w/ soft brush and rinse off.

It makes a great general interior cleaner as well, I dilute it 10:1 for these duties.

Post Thanks / Like

Diluting chemicals

Quote Originally Posted by snowracer21 View Post
    Should have clarified, my post wasn't directed at you, just felt like typing it out for the general forum population.

I personally use Optimum Power Clean. I buy it by the gallon.

I dilute it 3:1 to clean wheels (prior to trying Meg's Wheel Brightener), 3:1 also makes for a great bug-removal product. Spray on the front bumper, wait a few minutes, agitate w/ soft brush and rinse off.

It makes a great general interior cleaner as well, I dilute it 10:1 for these duties.
    Sorry if I offended you, I didn’t know how to say that I know how to dilute things without being sassyDiluting chemicalsprobably should of said that in the message. Thanks that’s helpful, I’ll definitely use those but also, in your prior message you said 8:1 for interior cleaner but then you said 10:1 for interior cleaner, I’m just wondering is it different for different products your diluting?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi RiPrete, Yes, you have to look at some of the products to determine the ratios needed. If you look at PS products, you will see they have some dilutions for the Wheel cleaner and some of the lesser amounts really is all you need. I am trying to reduce the amount of chemicals I have around and found that Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash and wax is excellent for a detailer spray. Check it out since you save a lot of money buying it that way and you will use it more often as well. good luck, tom

Post Thanks / Like

The dilution ratio of some cleaners will also help you to reduce the pH and make it less alkaline. Most cleaners are alkaline since most stains are acidic. PH neutral is considered anything between 6.0 and 8.0 and it is recommended for any delicate surfaces especially some interiors. Diluting a cleaner can bring down the pH to a safe level. The formula is original pH - (-log(original volume/new volume). Here is an example. Simple Green has a pH in concentrate of between 8.5-9.5. Let’s assume the value is 9.0. If we dilute it 10:1 here is the calculation.
    9.0 - (-log(1/11)) = 7.959. This would be a pH neutral cleaner.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

UncleDavy, I missed something in your formula and don't remember where I went wrong. I get 7.9 and I am not sure if that is right. Can you tell me what -log is in this equation?? Thanks so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast