autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mix degreaser with waterless/rinseless to cut grime?

I wouldn't mix degreaser with any rinseless or waterless wash. That would break down the lubricants in the mix. I would use a diluted degreaser, and then use the rinseless wash to help remove the degreaser and the grime it has softened up.

I live in Alabama, though. Winter here is pretty easy.

Bill

2. Likes Machine154, Mgavin1985 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post
    I wouldn't mix degreaser with any rinseless or waterless wash. That would break down the lubricants in the mix. I would use a diluted degreaser, and then use the rinseless wash to help remove the degreaser and the grime it has softened up.

I live in Alabama, though. Winter here is pretty easy.

Bill
    I did already try to get myself unstuck from this situation, putting together a cocktail of 1.5 oz ONR, 1.5 oz Degreaser, and 12 oz water. It was slick over the clean parts and dragged over the grime parts, but did slowly dissolve the grime. Downside is it streaked like a mutha and I had to do a 3rd waterless wash. Mix degreaser with waterless/rinseless to cut grime?

Wax tomorrow. I’m done with this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I gotta believe whatever they are putting on the roads up there is seriously different than even what we have here in the rust belt. What is your daytime high time and nighttime low like this time of year?

Post Thanks / Like

Right now it’s 20’s/30’s, but we’ve already been single digits. It’s greatly affected by weather patterns in the Gulf of Alaska.

They generally don’t use salt here, except to keep the ‘sand’ from clumping (which is really gravel). Not sure what else might go in it. If you drive the highway every day like me, you’re guaranteed a broken windshield over winter pretty much. I’ve got my first crack going this season and it’s migrating.

They also lay down a chemical spray in certain key areas like on ramps and bridges at particularly hazardous times.

It’s best when it just stays cold once it freezes but lately it’s been a mess of freeze/thaw cycles. Even though I’m getting the Jeep cleaned up, it will still be trashed Monday because it’s supposed to snow and melt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would put some P21s Total Auto Wash diluted 30:1 in a pump sprayer. Spray the lower panels and use a fine brush to adgitat. Do a rinseless over it and you should be fine.

If you need something a little stronger, add some Power Clean.

8. Thanks Machine154 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    I would put some P21s Total Auto Wash diluted 30:1 in a pump sprayer. Spray the lower panels and use a fine brush to adgitat. Do a rinseless over it and you should be fine.

If you need something a little stronger, add some Power Clean.
    Thanks - a citrus degreaser is a good idea and should be easier on the lungs. I like the brush idea, I am always hesitant to use brushes except around my emblems and I need to get over that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Megs degreaser at 5 to 1 spray and let dwell. Use a plush mf towel soaked in rinseless solution and wipe away grime and salt. Once clean lay a quality sealant on clean paint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11. Likes Machine154 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have an option to use a degreaser before you drive in to the touchless wash? That way you would have a more thorough cleaning there. And the new dirt build up would be easier for the ONR or what else waterless wash or rinseless wash you chose. Maybe not wait over the night to wash it at home but directly when you get home.

The road salt is often sodium salt or calcium salt. But what they often uses in it so it will stay on the roads is gypsum. And I think that is the why you get that white build up grime on the side and back of the car. Or over the whole car when it's a lot of wet roads.

Then what also gets when they start to use the road salt. Is that it starts to desolve the grime build up on the roads. And will get on your vehical too. It's often oil based grime that is most problems with to clean of the vehicals. In Sweden we have something called Cold Degreaser we use in the winter months here. It's basicly a tar remover based on some kind of petroleum. I use one based on kerosene. That has the benefit to be applyied on a set surface. As most of them you need to be applying on dry paint. Otherwise you get a milky looking mess. If you can not get one of those petroleum based degreasers I would go with a citrus based degreaser. 3D Orange 88 Degreaser or 3D Grime Out is some of them. Optimum Power Clean I think they uses a degreaser step before ONR wash I s done. But look that up as I'm not certain you are recommended to use that way before ONR wash.

Hope it helps a little with the experience with road salt here in Sweden which we have around 4-5 months on the roads here during a year.

/Tony

13. Likes Machine154 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you doing these washes in your garage? If so, is it insulated or somewhat so? I ask because there are options out there for power washing without a hose, the Worx Hydroshot. Is it the be all, end all, no but it will be able to get off that top layer, then allowing you to do a much better RW for sure. If you wanna take it a step further, get yourself an IK Foam 9 hand pump sprayer to do pre-washes, then you can use the Worx Hydroshot to do a traditional 2BMMix degreaser with waterless/rinseless to cut grime?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

15. Likes Machine154 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Do you have an option to use a degreaser before you drive in to the touchless wash? That way you would have a more thorough cleaning there. And the new dirt build up would be easier for the ONR or what else waterless wash or rinseless wash you chose. Maybe not wait over the night to wash it at home but directly when you get home.

/Tony
    Agree with this here. I wouldn't go mixing rinseless with degreaser. Is your touchless wash a tunnel wash or self-serve bay with a wand?

17. Likes Machine154 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast