autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Clean a section (a couple of panels) of the car with quick detailer.

I would like to ask whether cleaning some panels of the car with quick detailer is safe, and would not result in scratches or swirls.

My car was washed and waxed 3.5 weeks ago. Since then, the car was only driven 4 times (10 miles and 30 minutes on sunny day EACH, so 40 miles and 2 hours in total). The car was not exposed to rain or heavy dusty areas. The car is garage-kept.

I am asking this because I would like to clean the roof of my hardtop convertible. The weather is getting cold, so I cannot handwash my car. So I was wondering whether it is ok to soak a microfiber towel with quick detailer, wipe the panels, and just dry those panels with another microfiber towel.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clean a section (a couple of panels) of the car with quick detailer.

You would be better off using a waterless wash (Ech2o/Ultima). More lubrication to prevent marring.

3. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it using Ech2o and use lots of microfibers. You really don't want to be rubbing the same dirty towel over and over again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You would be better off using a waterless wash (Ech2o/Ultima). More lubrication to prevent marring.
    Thanks for the reply. I am planning to get the cleaning done in the next couple of days, but I don't have access to waterless cleaning products.

But if I do clean the roof of my car with quick detailer, I would use 2-3 bottles to soak the entire MF towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Additional info:

There is nothing wrong with the roof... I am OCD germaphobe, and I want to clean the interior of the car. I just want the roof to be clean when it gets stowed in the clean trunk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E93to View Post
    I am planning to get the cleaning done
    in the next couple of days, but I don't
    have access to waterless cleaning products.

But if I do clean the roof of my car with
    quick detailer, I would use 2-3 bottles to
    soak the entire MF towel.

“Note:
    While spray detailers are first and foremost
    positioned as products for removing light dust,
    if used wet or heavy and with good technique,
    that can substitute for a high lubricity waterless
    wash. Use your own judgment.

~Mike Phillips
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT

Source:
    Excerpted from the below article.

The difference between a Normal Car Wash, a Waterless Car Wash, a Rinseless Car Wash and a Spray Detailer

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to get the cleaning done in the next couple of days, but I don't have access to waterless cleaning products.

But if I do clean the roof of my car with quick detailer, I would use 2-3 bottles to soak the entire MF towel.
    It's more important to spray the dirty down than it is to soak the towel. Dirt scratches, good towels do not.

Post Thanks / Like

How about rinsing the car with water first, and then cleaning the roof with QD?

Post Thanks / Like

Clean a section (a couple of panels) of the car with quick detailer.

I would like to ask whether cleaning some panels of the car with quick detailer is safe, and would not result in scratches or swirls.

My car was washed and waxed 3.5 weeks ago. Since then, the car was only driven 4 times (10 miles and 30 minutes on sunny day EACH, so 40 miles and 2 hours in total). The car was not exposed to rain or heavy dusty areas. The car is garage-kept.

I am asking this because I would like to clean the roof of my hardtop convertible. The weather is getting cold, so I cannot handwash my car. So I was wondering whether it is ok to soak a microfiber towel with quick detailer, wipe the panels, and just dry those panels with another microfiber towel.

Thanks in advance.
    The answer to your question is an emphatic yes! This is the exact purpose of a quik detailer. Yes x10.

I dunno when quik detailers got re purposed as strictly “drying aids” but for it to have reached the point where there’s people seriously asking if a quik detailer can actually be used as a quik detailer is a sign that things have gone way off course as far as miss information... A quik detailer is a quik detailer 1st and foremost, not a “drying aid”

And just to show that I’m not just blowing smoke up your butt, I practice what I preach. I finished fully detailing my vehicle on Nov. 13th.
    Full paint correction, the paint went from this condition:

To fully corrected & protected:

Yesterday was the 1st time I touched the car for any type of cleaning. Exactly 1 week of being parked outdoors and not being driven everyday.

Waterless wash with what’s considered a quik detailer.

I only needed these 2 towels [+ a small Griots PFM for drying] to waterless wash the car. It’s a large Cadillac sedan. These are the 2 towels I used, they’re equally dirty on the opposite sides.

[Note: Most people use more towels than I do. Some people speak of using something like 15 towels to waterless wash a car with this amount of dirt coming off of it. Everyone’s technique is different, and I can effectively do it with just 2 towels. You most likely will use more than 2]

Trust me, I wouldn’t have even thought of waterless washing my car like that only 1 week after correcting the paint if I felt like I was in danger of instilling swirls back onto the paint. I actually don’t plan on bucket washing that car ever again if I can help it. Strictly waterless washing from now on.

Yes use it heavy enough, but at the same time it doesn’t require 2-3 bottles of quik detailer to wipedown a roof. Just use common sense and don’t wipe your paint as if you’re holding a wash mitt, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re limited to 1 swipe in 1 direction for only a couple of feet at a time. For example I do a whole door with 1 folded side of a 16x16” towel and sometimes I can even do 2 doors if the car isn’t that dirty. Just remember not to re swipe where you’ve already swiped with the same side of the towel. And yes I do this on black paint as well..

If you want to feel extra secure about doing it, pick up a bottle of Meguiars Wash & Wax Anywhere at your local auto parts store. 1 bottle is more than enough to wipe down a dusty vehicle. Good luck and enjoy your clean ride.

12. Likes LSNAutoDetailing, MattPersman, Diner liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast