autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why did this thread get pulled....,?

I've been following this thread, along with many others, and it seems to have disappeared. When I did find it the error message said it had been moved and I didn't have the credentials to view the thread. It was linked in another thread this morning and it wouldn't open there either. Anyone know why???

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...g-ceramic.html

2. Thanks infosponge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why did this thread get pulled....,?

Probably got out of hand. Was following it too
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if the shop that did the work complained--they were named (and shamed) in the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand. I really hate stuff like that. Doctors call it long distance diagnostics. I try to keep a very balanced approach to this kind of things because you are only getting one side of the story. It's the new way of doing things now, people go on public forums to resolve issues they have with 1 person or company. The problem with that is that it creates liability for the forum's owners.

I hope the original poster will find a solution for his problem.

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Twas an interesting tale of woe & Caveat Emptor...bummer for the OP though...what a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the shop that did the work complained--they were named (and shamed) in the thread.
    Could be although they sure seemed like a mess as well. Who know, though...2 sides to every story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Could be although they sure seemed like a mess as well. Who know, though...2 sides to every story.
    Regardless, the OP told us that he told the shop about the thread, and maybe even showed/linked them...it was bad PR for them and it would be unsurprising if they asked for it to be pulled, or as Calendyr alluded to, perhaps the management here preemptively pulled it.

As Poorboy Steve once said at one of his detail days, about the (at that time new--this was probably 2005 or 2006) trend of using spotlights to look for swirls while polishing: "if someone sees your car and it looks nice they're not going bring out a light to make sure if it looks nice with that" (sorry Steve if I butchered that, it was a long time ago). I think Frank S. also mentioned something recently about Mike Phillips joking with him similarly.

So although it is common for us 'Geeks to go to extreme measures to check our work, I wouldn't be surprised if the shop in question had never seen/had anyone do that and thinks it's the stupidest, most unfair thing in the world (to take videos in a dark garage with a flashlight on the paint). As Mike Phillips has noted, detailers who frequent detail forums are way more informed than those that don't, and as is the case in many technical fields, it can be quite jarring if you don't keep up for someone to point out, when you think you are at the top of your game, that you're not.

9. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a very informative thread though. A great learning experience for the shop management if they chose to take the direction of improvement.

Mentioning the name was probably unnecessary, and the cause for the removal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    It was a very informative thread though. A great learning experience for the shop management of they chose to take the direction of improvement.
    They didn't sound like they were taking it as a learning experience. The reality is, if their market is satisfied with the price/quality of their work, there isn't really a reason for them to change, and it provides an opportunity for a 'Geek to service the more discriminating customers in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

In for answers...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    They didn't sound like they were taking it as a learning experience. The reality is, if their market is satisfied with the price/quality of their work, there isn't really a reason for them to change, and it provides an opportunity for a 'Geek to service the more discriminating customers in that area.
    Hence the "if".

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast