autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯

I’m not kidding... Earlier today while I was in the process of fully cleaning the weatherstripping, I couldn’t help but do a little poking around inside the door jamb while I had my vacuum on. I’m usually pretty OCD when it comes to the air intake on the windshield cowl, it bugs the heck out of me whenever I see a cowl with any amount of leaves or debris, and if it’s my own vehicle then it’s held to an even higher standard, meaning my windshield cowl/air intake vents need to remain 100% clear of even a single twig before I allow any kind of wash process begin...

Same rules apply to certain door jambs, specifically the ones inside some Cadillacs, because they sometimes come with this thick felt lining inside of them, and every once in while it’s a good idea to stick your crevice tool inside and vacuum out any dirt/debris that may be inside the bottom corner of the jambs.

Well today when I stuck my crevice tool inside the drivers side door jamb I was surprised to find some resistance behind the felt lining... The resistance turned out to be a solid wall of leaves/dirt/rocks/twigs/etc.

So I probed around in there for a bit, the whole time my vacuum hose was grumbling as if I was vacuuming up gravel and dry leaves. I figured ok good thing I got that out... But just when I thought I was done, suddenly more crap appeared out of nowhere.I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯

This is the 1st pic I took. I thought I was nearly all done with that...

But then suddenly this appeared out of nowhere.

Well it didn’t just “appear” it dropped down like a bomb!

And once that pack was vacuumed out... More dropped down.

And more... Huge chunks.

....And more!

I ended up having to grab a super long metal spoon from the kitchen and bent it in order to pry free a condensed brick of debis that went up nearly a foot high inside the doorjamb!I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯 I spent nearly a half hour vacuuming before it was all finally cleared out. It was incredible!

I guess I wasn’t as done as I thought I was after the 1st quik cleaning I gave that jamb a few days ago. I swear that doorjamb “looked” clean. Turns out this little bit slipped by me... Honest mistake. I mean this could’ve been overlooked by any of us, right?I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯

That’s how much came out of that 1 single doorjamb.I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯
    The other doorjamb was completely clean!
    Apparently the previous owner parked this car under the same treeI found a small shrub in my door jamb😯and that tree was somehow on the drivers side, even though when I went to look at the car it was parked on a busy residential street with the only trees on the right side of the car... It makes no sense! This whole thing is crazy. Lol. How in the world was that much foliage hiding inside that doorjamb?I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯

Correction: That debris made it in there through the bottom of the car/through the wheel well. It couldn’t have dropped from above, or at the least it’s a very slim chance it came from above because I can’t vacuum in there from above nor reach in there from the engine compartment... But who knows for sure.. It seems like it had to take many years for that much to accumulate.

I had to share that with someone. Lol. Thanks for reading.I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯

2. Likes SWETM, showbbq, itsgn, WaxMaster1, JKDesign and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯

Or, it may have been critter “bedding.”
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

4. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes. I thought the same, maybe a little mouse decided to hang out for the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I never park my car under a tree, always remove all the leaves from it by hand before entering it, and still, in just a few months time, my cabin filter gets essentially clogged up by remnants of leaves. Which tells me that whenever there's a way or opening, no matter how convoluted or small, dirt and debris will get through and into every place where it can. Especially stuff like leaves which are very light, but have a large surface, and so can be pushed easily around and into crevices by the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

That's wild! Important things are a.) You actually found that mess and b.) Removed it. I would hate to think what that mulch would've done longer term.

And I've also been known to "borrow" some things from the kitchen! When Mrs. Puckman sees me head to the garage with whatever i have its a quick "where're you going with THAT?"

Just gonna detail it, mum.

Post Thanks / Like

Are that the wheel well felt lining? If so, look so it's not out of it's place. If you where living in an environment that has a lot of rain. That could cause rust where the leaf gunk was building up. Be glad that the previous owner maybe did not wash the car so much. And when you are now takeing care of the car. That could easly be a problem down the road when you wet it when rinsing and cleaning the wheel wells. So great that you catched it now and look how it is from time to time.

That was alot of build up gunk there LOL

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe someone was raking the forest and it wound up in your car.

10. Likes DBAILEY, SWETM, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Yikes. I thought the same, maybe a little mouse decided to hang out for the winter.
    The mice better find themselves a new hangout... Because if they think of hanging out near my car from now on they’ll wind up catching the wrath! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    That's wild! Important things are a.) You actually found that mess and b.) Removed it. I would hate to think what that mulch would've done longer term.

And I've also been known to "borrow" some things from the kitchen! When Mrs. Puckman sees me head to the garage with whatever i have its a quick "where're you going with THAT?"

Just gonna detail it, mum.
    Yea you know the drill.. Just walk in without causing any attention to yourself, go straight for what you need, and make a quik exit doing your best to shield the object from view. And if you hear the words “what are doing”? Immediately reply “NOTHING”! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Are that the wheel well felt lining? If so, look so it's not out of it's place. If you where living in an environment that has a lot of rain. That could cause rust where the leaf gunk was building up. Be glad that the previous owner maybe did not wash the car so much. And when you are now takeing care of the car. That could easly be a problem down the road when you wet it when rinsing and cleaning the wheel wells. So great that you catched it now and look how it is from time to time.

That was alot of build up gunk there LOL

/Tony
    The wheel wells are hard black plastic. Funny thing is it’s the passenger side that’s got the body kit that’s a bit loose in that corner... Come to think of it, I did spend alot of time clearing the debris from the passengers side a couple weeks ago but I did it from outside and underneath the car while pulling open the body panel to the point where I nearly pulled the clips out.. Luckily I didn’t break any of them past the 1 that was already half broken. I sealed it best I could and that’s why the passengers side was as clean as it was.

I did the same clearing out of debris along the exterior wheel wells and all along the body kit a couple weeks ago. There was quite a bit of mulch & gravel built up, especially in the rear wheel wells. Feels good to clean that out, satisfying like some people who claim they like watching pimple popping videos... Screw those videos, I get my satisfaction cleaning mulch out of air intakes and door jambs. Thats Real satisfaction! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Maybe someone was raking the forest and it wound up in your car.
    If I ever found some tree hugger raking forest into my door jamb then we’d definitely be gettin into a good ole fashioned fisticuffs. “What do you think you’re doing you little tree hugger”?! *punch*I found a small shrub in my door jamb😯lol.

12. Likes PaulMys, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is good you got that stuff out, maybe not so much in LA, but in parts of the country where it rains more, that stuff is rust waiting to happen. Speaking of that, I may need to probe my GM's a little more with the vacuum...

14. Likes minerigger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

good to see you got some security going on.
    hmardown

16. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast