autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Need advice on new pads purchase

Since starting this hobby I have been using HexLogic pads almost exclusively. I also tried the new Megs pads but didn't like them, they were too thin for the types of panel curves and creases I've been working on. But my question is if I were to try a different brand or pad model, what would you recommend ? Most of my work is paint cleaning, mild correction, and LSP waxing, and headllight lens polishing, using a 3401 and a PC with various Megs paint cleaners/polishes and Blackfire One Step (love that Blackfire one step). I've never had or tried any other brands of pads. What could or should I try for pads when I finally wear out my Hex pads for these types of projects ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on new pads purchase

PM dlc95. AKA the "Pad Master". (I think I dubbed him that.......)

Anyway, just to give my opinion...... I have always liked LC flats. Great all-around pads. A few of the thin pros and hydros I like a great deal as well.

Dan will be along shortly to give you better options..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to the 3401. Although it plays well with just about any pad, I am extremely fond of LC Hybrid force pads. I prefer 6.5 inch pads for most jobs with the 3401. Since you mentioned BF One Step: That and LC force hybrid white pads are my go combo for one step details.

As Far as a PC, I like the LC 5.5 x 7/8 flat pads. The Hydro Tech pads are nice but do not last as long due to their cell construction.

As with ANY machine, I suggest changing pads often so have enough on hand.
    Jim

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer LC hybrids on my 3401 as well. The old style and the new force style. But for similar performance and can be used on PC as well, look into the SDO pads. Not too pricy and feel/perform great on long throws, Forced rotation and free spinning DA’s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post
    Since starting this hobby I have been using HexLogic pads almost exclusively. I also tried the new Megs pads but didn't like them, they were too thin for the types of panel curves and creases I've been working on. But my question is if I were to try a different brand or pad model, what would you recommend ? Most of my work is paint cleaning, mild correction, and LSP waxing, and headllight lens polishing, using a 3401 and a PC with various Megs paint cleaners/polishes and Blackfire One Step (love that Blackfire one step). I've never had or tried any other brands of pads. What could or should I try for pads when I finally wear out my Hex pads for these types of projects ?

I do alot of high-end one -step vehicles. I primarily use my Flex 3401 due to complex curves on the vehicles. ( I do own a Rupes 21 MKII with a 5" backing plate). I have 2x GG 3", one for 2" pads for tight spots, and one with black 3" pads to apply Ammo SKIN and Carnauba or any other type of wax or sealant. I use the Rupes 3" for 3-4" pads and use the LC Hybrid Wool pads for fast cutting. Rupes yellow for polishing.

I DO NOT like using AIO's due to I don't want or need the LSP sealants. I use exclusively AMMONYC Paint regimen on about 70% of my work. I then use 22ple coatings on my others. I actually try and talk daily drivers, and exotics that are used in rain, track, or any dirty conditions out of coatings. Due to Mike P showing the grime that can build up on paint over 6 mnths. (also on top of coatings) However I love to coat wheels and trim with glass coatings.

Pads----- I use the 4 3/8 backing plate on the Flex, so I can use the 5" pads, which are now all 5.5 pads. ( I think my larger backing plate on the flex is a 5", cannot remember but its a bought plate and not the one that came with it.) from all my reading a few years back, the smaller backing plate and the LC Hybrid pads in 5" were the key to getting the max out of the 3401.

Polishing---I really like using the Rupes yellow with Sonax Perfect Finish, Jescar Medium Polish, Gyeon Polish, Menzerna SF3500, for alot of my one steps. I can use the same pad for both machines, but the extra lip on the Rupes pads allows for getting it into tight areas and creases. LC Hybrid or the new Hybrid Force pads in white works well for me also with all the same compounds.

Compounding--- I really like the GG BOSS MF cutting pads better than the Meg's or LC's. I recently just started to experiment with wool pads and use the Rupes 5" blue wool (I think they are for the Mille, but maybe for all of them) and they cut quicker than the MF GG pads. I am trying to get less section passes for the same result. But results were close to the same. I also use the Meg's Soft Buff Maroon 5" pads for cutting on the Rupes 21 (have on the flex also) and then the LC Force Hybrid 5.5" pads on the Flex in Blue, and Orange. Liquids------Jescar Compound, Sonax CutMax, Gyeon Compound, Menzerna FG400, M105, D300 all work very good.

I Jewel with a Rotary if warranted at 600rpm with the LC Gold pads using Rupes Diamond, Menzerna (PO85rd which went to 4500 then to SF3800 now), Gyeon Primer, or CarPro Essence.

Post Thanks / Like

I like LC flat pads and Buff and Shine standard foam pads. Keep it simple. I've used others, but I always tend to favor the standard ones. I have some Hexlogic, and they're fine too. I'm not even close to a pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

8. Likes derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post
    I use both HexLogic and Lake Country Hybrid Force pads on my 3401. AIO's I use Green HexLogic pads on the 3401. Light polishing or medium cut I use the orange pads with an appropriate polish/compound. They work great.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)