autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax CC36 ceramic coating questions

Hello experts. I just purchased the Sonax CC36 kit. My first ceramic coation venture. I have a few questions before I begin the application.

1. Can the coating be applied to the plastic trim such as the grille and window trim?
    2. Can it be applied to the glass surfaces
    3. Can it be applied to the surface of the Paint Protection Film.

I am guessing yes to all but wanted to get everyone’s opinion.

Jeff

Mike Phillips

Re: Sonax CC36 ceramic coating questions

Quote Originally Posted by jdeday View Post

Hello experts.
    I'm no expert and I wouldn't believe most that claimed to be. I coined the term,

Perpetual Student

To describe myself. New technology is being introduced so fast now days the ONLY way to stay caught up is to be connected via forums like this and be >>>active<<< pretty much every day or you'll miss something.

I'll take a shot at your questions below,

I just purchased the Sonax CC36 kit. My first ceramic coation venture. I have a few questions before I begin the application.

1. Can the coating be applied to the plastic trim such as the grille and window trim?
    Yes.

No.

Maybe.

I am guessing yes to all but wanted to get everyone’s opinion.

Jeff

Rob McCrary, the Managing Director for SONAX USA will be here tomorrow. I'm fortunate to get to be included in a new video SONAX Germany is producing and a team from Germany is flying in today for tomorrow's video.

When Rob is here I'll show him your questions and get his official answer.

How's that for Autogeek Customer Service?

3. Likes custmsprty, Celabe liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'm no expert and I wouldn't believe most that claimed to be. I coined the term,

Perpetual Student

To describe myself. New technology is being introduced so fast now days the ONLY way to stay caught up is to be connected via forums like this and be >>>active<<< pretty much every day or you'll miss something.

I'll take a shot at your questions below,

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Rob McCrary, the Managing Director for SONAX USA will be here tomorrow. I'm fortunate to get to be included in a new video SONAX Germany is producing and a team from Germany is flying in today for tomorrow's video.

When Rob is here I'll show him your questions and get his official answer.

How's that for Autogeek Customer Service?

Mike you are fantastic, if there is anyone out there that is close to being an expert it would be you. I enjoy watching your videos and reading your forum posts. Thank you for the quick response. I will look forward to Bob’s response tomorrow.

Do do you have any pointers in regards to the application process?

Post Thanks / Like

jdeday:

I just installed CC36 on my wife’s daily driver about a month ago. She has a small amount of ppf behind the rear passenger doors which I coated over with no issues. I also coated the chrome and plastic trim, including the headlights and taillights, again with no issues. Stay away from the glass as Mike advised.

Regarding application, both cans of the aerosol coating are “grabby.” I found the applicator for step 1 to be difficult to use and gave up on it right away. I switched to a foam block and microsuade cloth and had a much easier time. I used the same (with a fresh cloth) for step 2. Removal of both coats was easy and the flash time was quick. Wipe on and immediately wipe off essentially. High spots were not an issue.

Overall I was pleased with the product. Make sure you have good lighting and post some pics of your results!
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    jdeday:

I just installed CC36 on my wife’s daily driver about a month ago. She has a small amount of ppf behind the rear passenger doors which I coated over with no issues. I also coated the chrome and plastic trim, including the headlights and taillights, again with no issues. Stay away from the glass as Mike advised.

Regarding application, both cans of the aerosol coating are “grabby.” I found the applicator for step 1 to be difficult to use and gave up on it right away. I switched to a foam block and microsuade cloth and had a much easier time. I used the same (with a fresh cloth) for step 2. Removal of both coats was easy and the flash time was quick. Wipe on and immediately wipe off essentially. High spots were not an issue.

Overall I was pleased with the product. Make sure you have good lighting and post some pics of your results!
    Did you do anything special to prep the paint, like remove the existing wax/polish?

Post Thanks / Like

You will enjoy using it. It will get you a year of performance just as Sonax claims. It is straight forward to use and the water behavior for the most part is pretty impressive.

You can check out my thread here.

Review - Sonax CC36 Ceramic Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Did you do anything special to prep the paint, like remove the existing wax/polish?
    Oh yes, preparation is the key to a successful coating application.

I did a full decon wash with McKees 37 Coating Prep Auto Wash, Iron-X, Clay, Polish with Polishangel Master Final Polish II, and a wipe down with CarPro Eraser prior to moving on to the CC36.

As with any coating install, properly preparing the surface is the most important part of the process. It is essential in order to get the most out of your chosen coating.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Mike Phillips

Okay... back behind my computer.... been in the garage shooting new SONAX videos and then testing out the new CBEAST!

It's 5:40pm Eastern Time and I have Rob McCrary, the Managing Director of SONAX USA in my office and ready to answer your questions.

Hello experts.

I just purchased the Sonax CC36 kit. My first ceramic coation venture. I have a few questions before I begin the application.

Rob McCrary says "yes".

Rob McCrary says "yes".

Rob McCrary says "yes".

So there you go!

10. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Okay... back behind my computer.... been in the garage shooting new SONAX videos and then testing out the new CBEAST!

It's 5:40pm Eastern Time and I have Rob McCrary, the Managing Director of SONAX USA in my office and ready to answer your questions.

Rob McCrary says "yes".

Rob McCrary says "yes".

Rob McCrary says "yes".

So there you go!

Mike/Rob,

Thank you so much for the answers. I started applying today and have 1/2 of the car done. I must say WOW, what a fantastic shine!

Jeff